3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Epoxy or Cool-Flex for Carbon Arrows?!  (Read 352 times)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Epoxy or Cool-Flex for Carbon Arrows?!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys,

I re-installed the BHs on adaptors last night. I think that the problem was not prepping the adaptors enough. They have a pretty slick coating on them that prevented a good hold.

Anyways, the newly installed ones seem good so far. I'm gonna test them out on my BH target today.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
For shaft inserts, screw a larger wt field point in and heat the point.  That transfers heat to the insert and melts or screws up the epoxy enough to twist the insert out. Be careful not to damage the shaft though by going too hot.
Chuckc

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Thanks ChuckC. That is how I do it. I never heat the shaft directly and always use a 300 gn fielpoint screwed into my inserts. I keep my hand on the front of the shaft so I can really feel how much heat it is taking on.

I try to be real careful with the carbon shafts, don't want any issues!

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I use the Ferr-l-Tite low temp blue sticks.  I have found them to hold very well and I have never lost one in the hardest of targets.  You can replace/remove with just heaitng a tip and screwing it into the shaft, wait a few seconds, and then with a slight twist and pull, it comes out.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
One thing I recommend is cleaning every component with acetone. Especially the inside of that broad head.

For adhesives to work perfectly there can be nothing like oil from your fingers, machine oil, or other chemicals that will interfere with the bonding action
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
I have not lost any tips with cool flex from bohning,, great stuff and you can take it apart Just clean parts first
Gord

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Medley:
Bisch- you say that, and you have said it before, but......

I don't know how you do it, but I cant get it to reverse, and the manufacturer tells me its not going to work
I just put a field point in the insert, then heat the field point a bit with my torch and the glue gives and the insert comes out real easy. You cannot reuse the insert without cleaning it up and putting new Insert Iron on it like you would with regular hot melt.

I have removed a bunch of inserts this way with no damage to any shaft. When I used epoxy, it was a crap shoot as to whether I was going to mess up the shaft with the amount of heat needed to get the epoxy to let loose.

Bisch

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!
My second attempt with the BH-adaptors in question seems to have worked much better. No give, and have been shooting into my BH target. I think that the problem was my technique. I did not abrade/clean the adaptors enough before using the Cool-Flex. Getting just the right temperature and plenty of adhesive on seems to be crucial also.

I'm glad to have figured it out cause like I said, I just got 2 more sticks from 3 Rivers...

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I've had great sucess with cool flex on my brass inserts into Beman ICS hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©