3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which horse bow?  (Read 497 times)

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Which horse bow?
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Hi everyone. Does anyone shoot a horse bow/ composite replica bow here? Which model do you own and what would you recommend? I have been looking around at grozer and kassai. But i do not want a Hungarian/ mongol style bow with heavy siyahs. I heard the Salukis are the best and I love the design of the Turk but they are a bit too expensive and too long of a wait. I just found that Grozer's L1 Assyrian laminated bow has a very similar design and limb profile at a smaller price. Both highly deflex reflexed, forward handle and smaller streamlined siyahs than other horse bows. Anyone has experience with this bow? I am open to other suggestions as well.

http://www.nomadbows.com/htm/L1_Asszir/g/index.html
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which horse bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
I shot the grozer Assyrian laminated bow and it is one of the best shooting horsebows I ever shot. Very smoooooth, unbelievable fast, shoots were you look, and almost no handshock.
Al this for a great price, higly recommended!

It is on my list too....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Checkout the Tanjavour lb form Java man as well, not sure it is exactley what you are looking for, but they are sweet I think. Good price and made by Greg Coffey.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
I shot the grozer Assyrian laminated bow and it is one of the best shooting horsebows I ever shot. Very smoooooth, unbelievable fast, shoots were you look, and almost no handshock.
Al this for a great price, higly recommended!

It is on my list too....
Thanks. That's good to hear. The Assyrian does look like a good candidate for a poor man's Saluki. I realized there are 2 versions. laminated and biocomposite laminated that has horn and sinew. The biocomposite one looks good too but shaped more like a hybrid longbow. Do you have experience with that one as well?

http://www.grozerarchery.com/htm/assir/assir.htm

I really am jealous of that you have 2 peregrines.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by NormanDale33:
Checkout the Tanjavour lb form Java man as well, not sure it is exactley what you are looking for, but they are sweet I think. Good price and made by Greg Coffey.
You are right it looks sweet. Reminds me of Saluki ibex.  Java man has some very interesting looking bows. His helms deep and Assyrian looks great as well. Anyone shoots a java man bow here?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Saluki55

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
I have a #47 pound  Bio composite Grozer Hungarian Short bow that is my main shooter its smooth and and very fast with carbon arrows . Grozer makes some great bows but does not come close to a saluki. Salukis are worth the wait and money

i ordered my grozer from   http://www.hunarchery.com/

I got the pleasure of shooting a saluki hybrid and 3 days later found myself starting the process of ordering one

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Saluki55:
I have a #47 pound  Bio composite Grozer Hungarian Short bow that is my main shooter its smooth and and very fast with carbon arrows . Grozer makes some great bows but does not come close to a saluki. Salukis are worth the wait and money

i ordered my grozer from    http://www.hunarchery.com/  

I got the pleasure of shooting a saluki hybrid and 3 days later found myself starting the process of ordering one
Which Saluki did you get to shoot and what did you end up with? The biocomposite bows looks good but the Hungarian is not the fastest design according to grozer.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I realized there are 2 versions. laminated and biocomposite laminated that has horn and sinew. The biocomposite one looks good too but shaped more like a hybrid longbow. Do you have experience with that one as well?

I really am jealous of that you have 2 peregrines. [/QB]
There are two versions and I will quote from Grozers' site:

1. the Assyrian Bio Composite
This bow comes with sinew on the back and horn plates on the belly.
The bows made by this technology consist of the following materials: the middle layers of wood, the inner layer of pressed horn, while the outer layer of pressed sinew plate. These two layers are glued to the wooden plate by modern glue and the glued layer gets a fibre strengthening. Due to these biocomposite materials, the modern technology and materials these bows are faster than the simple laminated bows. They are appreciably soft, have long draw length and without any resonance when drawing.
These bows give almost the same shooting experience than a hornbow (extra III) and even their appearance is similar, although the biocomposite bows are flatter.

Standard Price: €350,-

2. The Assyrian Bio Composite Extra III
The bow is made in the same way as they were made thousands of years ago that is of horn-wood-sinew. The primitive Eastern recurve bows like the Hungarian, Hunnish, Avar, Turkish… etc were not made only of wood, but of much more flexible and durable materials than wood and these were horn and sinew. Only the cores of the bows were of wood. In ancient times these bows were simply called hornbows. I have been occupied in this technology the most. My first hornbow was ready 19 years ago. Since that time I have been experimenting these bows nearly every day, I've spent a lot of time on them and they have gone through a lot of development. The composite bows produced during the last few years can compete with the modern material bows (but they are not more sensitive than the Olympic bows). Though these bows are extremely sensitive to stringing. It is worth stringing them in a crouched position with the help of another person.

Standard price: €750,-

For the extra III this means Grozer is also using ancient glue like made from the bladder of fish.

I shot both, but I don't think the extra III justifies the difference in price. And besides of that: they are more vulnarable.

Unless you are an ancient horsebow junkie, who wants to shoot with the genuine ancient horsebows to experience how a boow shoots made with am technique that is thousands of year old, my choice would be the first version.... It shoots that good that it leaves no more whishes.

And yes, I am very lucky to own two Peregrines  :)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:

I realized there are 2 versions. laminated and biocomposite laminated that has horn and sinew. The biocomposite one looks good too but shaped more like a hybrid longbow. Do you have experience with that one as well?

I really am jealous of that you have 2 peregrines. [/b]
There are two versions and I will quote from Grozers' site:

1. the Assyrian Bio Composite
This bow comes with sinew on the back and horn plates on the belly.
The bows made by this technology consist of the following materials: the middle layers of wood, the inner layer of pressed horn, while the outer layer of pressed sinew plate. These two layers are glued to the wooden plate by modern glue and the glued layer gets a fibre strengthening. Due to these biocomposite materials, the modern technology and materials these bows are faster than the simple laminated bows. They are appreciably soft, have long draw length and without any resonance when drawing.
These bows give almost the same shooting experience than a hornbow (extra III) and even their appearance is similar, although the biocomposite bows are flatter.

Standard Price: €350,-

2. The Assyrian Bio Composite Extra III
The bow is made in the same way as they were made thousands of years ago that is of horn-wood-sinew. The primitive Eastern recurve bows like the Hungarian, Hunnish, Avar, Turkish… etc were not made only of wood, but of much more flexible and durable materials than wood and these were horn and sinew. Only the cores of the bows were of wood. In ancient times these bows were simply called hornbows. I have been occupied in this technology the most. My first hornbow was ready 19 years ago. Since that time I have been experimenting these bows nearly every day, I've spent a lot of time on them and they have gone through a lot of development. The composite bows produced during the last few years can compete with the modern material bows (but they are not more sensitive than the Olympic bows). Though these bows are extremely sensitive to stringing. It is worth stringing them in a crouched position with the help of another person.

Standard price: €750,-

For the extra III this means Grozer is also using ancient glue like made from the bladder of fish.

I shot both, but I don't think the extra III justifies the difference in price. And besides of that: they are more vulnarable.

Unless you are an ancient horsebow junkie, who wants to shoot with the genuine ancient horsebows to experience how a boow shoots made with am technique that is thousands of year old, my choice would be the first version.... It shoots that good that it leaves no more whishes.

And yes, I am very lucky to own two Peregrines    :)   [/QB]
Great info. I never really considered the extra III. There are 3 versions actually. The other one is the wood / glass laminated one I refered to on the first post which only appear in grozer nomad line. Which one are you referring to in your first post? This is how the glass laminated one looks:

http://nomadbows.com/stock/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_4_91&products_id=1785
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Saluki55

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:

i ordered my grozer from     http://www.hunarchery.com/  

Which Saluki did you get to shoot and what did you end up with? The biocomposite bows looks good but the Hungarian is not the fastest design according to grozer. [/b]
I shot a Crimean Tartar Hybrid Bow that was #50 pounds but felt more like 45. I like it so much i ordered the same style (Crimean Tartar Hybrid Bow) but i wanted a higher weight so i got it in a 55.

The hybrid bows are not as expensive as the horn and arnt as sensitive to heat or cold but u still get the same performance as a real horn bow

Offline Buranurra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »

i ordered my grozer from       http://www.hunarchery.com/    

Which Saluki did you get to shoot and what did you end up with? The biocomposite bows looks good but the Hungarian is not the fastest design according to grozer. [/b]
I shot a Crimean Tartar Hybrid Bow that was #50 pounds but felt more like 45. I like it so much i ordered the same style (Crimean Tartar Hybrid Bow) but i wanted a higher weight so i got it in a 55.

The hybrid bows are not as expensive as the horn and arnt as sensitive to heat or cold but u still get the same performance as a real horn bow [/b]
I am 3 months into my wait for a Saluki  horn Crimean Tartar 55 pounds !

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 03:37:00 AM »
I shot the biocomposite and the extra III. I liked both and if was rich I wuold buy the extra III. However, that one is more vulnarable and costs twice as much.
Like I told, the biocomposite is great bow, you will be atonished! It is a rocketlauncher with a very sweet draw. It shoots where you look.

The glass laminated is a nomad model. I never shot that one.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I will go for the Grozer Assyrian biocomposite as suggested by flying Dutchman. The price is good and it stocks are available.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
You won't regret that desicion, Jimmy!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Jhoneil1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
A Mariner Han Wind and a Moon Ming 4.

]

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Will this bow be used to hunt?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Atarn Warbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
68# @28" Saluki Turk

Offline Atarn Warbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
80# YMG (Hwarang)

Offline Andrei101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Hi everyone. Does anyone shoot a horse bow/ composite replica bow here? Which model do you own and what would you recommend? I have been looking around at grozer and kassai. But i do not want a Hungarian/ mongol style bow with heavy siyahs. I heard the Salukis are the best and I love the design of the Turk but they are a bit too expensive and too long of a wait. I just found that Grozer's L1 Assyrian laminated bow has a very similar design and limb profile at a smaller price. Both highly deflex reflexed, forward handle and smaller streamlined siyahs than other horse bows. Anyone has experience with this bow? I am open to other suggestions as well.

How do you want to shoot it? three fingers or thumb ring? If I would have to chose between Grozer and Kassai I would chose Grozer. They seem to build bows of a higher quality. But most of the people that I know competing at historical replica category use a hwarang. They're not so expensive and I've heard many times they're the best horse bows.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Andrei101:

How do you want to shoot it? three fingers or thumb ring? If I would have to chose between Grozer and Kassai I would chose Grozer. They seem to build bows of a higher quality. But most of the people that I know competing at historical replica category use a hwarang. They're not so expensive and I've heard many times they're the best horse bows. [/b]
I have got the Grozer Assyrian biocomposite now and it's great. Shoots much better than the grozer base fiberglass models that most people often judge Grozer with. Shooting with 3 fingers under. I would like to try the Korean and turkish ones too. Though I heard the Hwarangs are fast but not as forgiving with their low brace height. Which one are you shooting?
Instinctive gapper.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©