3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tools for making self bows...  (Read 332 times)

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
Tools for making self bows...
« on: August 18, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
I see there are a few who make self bows, and also a few who are learning.  I thought it would be interesting to all involved for those who build to list the tools they use to make a self bow just so that we can get a feeling for the wide variety of tools and techniques people use.

For myself, I make mostly white wood bows in the range of 55 to 65 inches.  Once in awhile I'll make a recurve, but generally not.

Tools include:

1.  Wood saw (for cutting the trees)

2.  Metal wedges for splitting staves

3.  10 inch draw knife for most rough shaping

4.  Cabinet scrapers for shaping limbs once I'm done with the draw knife, for tillering and for final finishing

5.  Chain saw sharpening file for filing string nocks

6.  Mill basterd file for keeping my cabinet scrapers sharp.

7.  Small electric burner (for bending wood when I need to)

And that's all!

I'm curious to see others' lists.  All the best!
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline MOBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tools for making self bows...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
paint brush for sealing ends and backs of osage staves with shellac.

sand paper of various grits

ruler

keith

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I'll add a couple things I forgot.  

1.  Small hatchet for splitting staves

2.  Rasp file for shaping handles
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Don't forget the bandsaw!!   :thumbsup:  Yeah, I'm not that patient;)  Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I use a hatchet for rough work. Then I  go to drawknife, Surform, Swedish drawknife or pushknife which I use as a scraper. Add a 4 way rasp and chain saw file for nock shaping. Jawge

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
In this order:

Chainsaw, measuring tool, chalk, strong friend, wedges, sledges for taking done the tree and boning it out.  Shellac and a cheap brush for keeping it from checking too bad.  Insecticide for keeping the bugs out.

Vise for handling it through it all.  Sturdy work bench.

Bandsaw, drawknife, scrapers, end-weighted centerline string, Ferret floppy ruler, metal yardstick, pencil, spring clamps for roughing it out, getting a ring, laying it out for final shaping.

Nicholson #49 rasp, scrapers, Bowyer's Edge (BE) for getting it's layout perfect and floor tillering.

6" Nicholson rattail bastard file for making string nocks. Tillering string.  Tillering tree, pulley arrangement, rasps, BE and scrapers for chasing tiller.

Rasps, files, scrapers, BE, sandpaper for final shaping of tips and handle and for cleaning it up before finishing.

Progressively fine sandpaper, steel wool, tack cloth for final sanding.  Dyes and stains for coloring.  Spray poly for top coat.  Leather for handle and strikeplate with requisite cutting sewing tools.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff too.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Hey guys, how does white ash rate as a selfbow wood? Its about the only wood in my area that I think would work. No Osage or Hickory up here. Ive heard of people using Hophornbeam(ironwood) but any that Ive seen is about as straight as a grapevine.

Eric

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I think Ash was a wood used by the easten woodland indians for self bows.I have seen it used in laminated wood bows but do not know how it compares to others.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Great Grandfathers Buck saw

Single bit axe and 2 wedges

2lb sledge hammer

Drawknife

Large rasp

scraper

Chaulk line

pencil

measure device

Rattail file

vise

heat gun

leather pads

vise grips

Would like to have some c-clamps and a nice caul but have made due without them.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Eric (Westbrook)

I've used white ash a couple times, and found it works great.  I have a 67 inch flat bow made from it handy, it pulls about 45 pounds at 27 inches and after about 100 shots has taken just under an inch of string follow.  Shoots sweet although a little noisy; I'll have to experiment with brace height and silencer placement to get it quiet.  Also, I backed it with 1.5 layers of sinew as an insurance policy and because I have lots.

-Eric
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
White ash will vary greatly in density from one piece to another.  Good stuff is about as good as average hickory.  Bad stuff is good fire wood.

Go to the bottom of the Buildalongs section of   My Homepage  and click on Stalking Tiller Live III and Stalking Tiller Live II for a couple ash bows I made in the beginning of my bowmaking journey.  The second turned out nice but you really have to overbuild ash bows.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! Thinking about giving it a try this winter, trying to find some material.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©