3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New member intro and Question about LLBean traditional bow..  (Read 280 times)

Offline canderson

• Trad Bowhunter
New member intro and Question about LLBean traditional bow..
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
I was just pointed to this site by a friend who bow hunts.  I have been interested in traditional archery for the past 7-8 years.  I have made a couple of different bows by following plans from Bingham Products.  I have made 2 48" longbows for two of my kids and I am currently at a standstill with my 56" recurve.

I was thinking about buying a traditional recurve bow and have fun learning to shoot and hunt with it while I continue practicing building my own laminated bows.

I was looking through LLBeans website recently and noticed that they sell a traditional recurve bow set.  It comes with a takedown bow, quiver arrows and a few other tidbits for $369.  The price sounds good but the reviews are far from abundant.  I read two reviews but didn't find any more.

Does anyone have experience with this bow?  Has anyone handled one in the store?  Can you share any opinions or experiences?  

Please keep inind, I am not looking at this bow as a final purchase, but something to learn with and grow a little with while i figure out how to make my own, or finally decide to purchase a better made bow by a custom bowyer.

I should also point out that my wife works for LLBean and I can get the bow for a reasonable employee discount.  That may factor into the decision.

Thanks.  Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New member intro and Question about LLBean traditional bow..
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Welcome from Pa.  :campfire:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
The bow is made by Samick for LL Bean.  For more reviews of Samick Bows and pricing, check out 3Rivers archery at teh following link:
 http://search.3riversarchery.com/nav/cat1/bows/0

You can also compare the prices for the individual components to see what it would cost if you selected individual items.  The LL Bean set up only comes in two draw weights for a right-handed shooter, 45 and 55 pounds.

If you were to purchase from 3Rivers or another vendor that sell Samick, you will have more draw weight options.  The LL Bean bow looks like a nice looking bow on a computer screen.

Overall, the Samick bows seem to get good reviews for the quality versus price break.

Welcome to Trad Gang!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Lousy_Hero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Welcome!  Like Bowslinger said, you can find a samick sage on 3 rivers for a cheap price, they even have a kit to help you start out for around $200.

It doesn't come with arrows, but even with the cost of arrows you are probably looking at about $300.  Not sure how much the discount will help you, but that is about a 70 dollar savings.  You will be able to choose from a whole slew of draw weights as well, so you don't over bow yourself at first.

The samick sage is a heck of a bow for the price, just the bow to get started with imo.  You can do a search for reviews on em, I haven't seen a bad one yet.
The eager shaft, with its feather garb, discharged its duty to the barb.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Welcome!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I have several Samick bows for my grandchildren and students, and enjoy shooting them myself once in a while. I don't know which model Bean is selling, or maybe Samick is making one just for them. If it's the entry level Sage, then it's not a very good deal unless your wife gets a heck of a discount. But there are more expensive Samicks, and it could be a good deal. Very likely you're not going to like the glove or arm guard, but that's a small part of the deal. The Gold Tip arrows are high quality; hopefully they are the right spine to  use with that bow. I would go for the 45# rather than the 55# bow if I were you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Good information above.  

Welcome to the campfire.    :campfire:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Welcome!!
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Welcome,  I have had a couple of students get those bows for Christmas.  They are decent bows, but a bit loud and have some hand shock.  You can certainly learn to shoot on it, and have fun doing it, but I would not look at it as a long term bow.  You could probably find a good used bow on the classifieds here that would be as good or better quality for the same or less.  Just my two cents.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Lousy_Hero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Samick+Sage+Recurve+Bow+Kit_i2495_variablekit.html

That is the link to the kit. 3 rivers is great to deal with, and can help you get set up with some arrows if you go that route.  Either way good luck, and I'm sure you will have fun with either one you choose.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I, too, work at LL Bean, and the discount should really help make the purchase of this set more worth it. I've seen the bow, though I don't know what model Samick it is. And the Gold Tip arrows shoot really nice from my 50# Grizzly (after cutting them down a bit). The Bean's discount on sporting equipment should bring the cost of this down almost in half--worth that price, for sure. I'd go for it it I were you.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline canderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for all of the insight so far.  This forum is appears to be very active.  Wasn't sure of the traffic on a site that targets such a specific group.  That's awesome.

I will take a look at the Samicks at 3 Rivers and take a cruise through the classifieds here as well.

I am still learning about what I need.  I am shy of 6'3"' with an arm span of 6'6".  Last I checked that puts me into an above average draw length, but not sure exactly where it puts me. . . .31-32" maybe?

Thanks for all of the replys so far.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
A lot of the Samicks are 60" bows. It doesn't say what length the Bean bow is.   Based on what you just said, you're going to need a 64" bow or longer. Plus, as you draw it further than 28", the weight goes up proportionately. You're going to want a bow that draws no more than 35-40# @ 28", or you're going to be overbowed. I don't think the Bean bow will work out for you. You need to go to a professional archery shop and get your draw length measured, and then report back to us.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
:wavey:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Lousy_Hero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
The sage is 62" so it might work, but like McDave said you should get measured so you know for sure.  Hopefully they have a couple of bows at different lengths you can try out, to see what feels good.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I think the Bean and 3 rivers bows are almost identical.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Samick makes a great starter bow for the money.  I will add that the Sage (62" AMO) does stack past 28" and this would be a factor for you at your longer draw.  They have a new model now called the "Journey" that uses the same riser as the Sage but with longer limbs making it 64" AMO.  This would be a much more comfortable option for you (even if you didn't have such long arms).  Keep in mind you'll need to add 3# per inch you draw past the rated drawlength of the bow, most folks recommend that you start out at 40-45# at your drawlength so a set of 35# limbs would put you in the ballpark.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Welcome!
>>>------John------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©