3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell wool garments?!?  (Read 474 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell wool garments?!?
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Anybody using the Asbell Wool Zipper jackets? If so, any info on roughly how warm they are (I'm looking at the extra heavy weight variety)? Some of those patterns like Timber Ghost and Evening Stand Brown would be awesome for Wisconsin Whitetails...just wondering, again, about how warm they are and people's experiences with them. I know layering is everything so they'd probably have to have something underneath them for really cold weather, but any thoughts!?!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell wool garments?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Lots of guys using Asbell wool, I sell them on my website. Like you already said, proper layering is everything in a cold place like Wisconsin or Michigan.

I wear mine with quality long underwear, maybe one of her Windblocker vests, and a nice dense Filson sweater. Very warm in this winter weather.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
They are superb cold weather garments. I have two pullovers and will be getting a zippered versions soon. I prefer the pullover but putting one on while in a treestand is just short of dangerous sometimes. I do know that Teresa uses very heavy zippers in the zip version of her garments. You won't be disappointed.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Do a search, you will find lots of positive comments on the Asbell wool.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
I purchased my hooded, zippered version from Roger and it is perfect for me.  It is warm and the Silent Stalker Green works very well.  When it is really cold I wear a long sleeve moisture wicking under-layer shirt and maybe my Filson wool vest.  I have one of Teresa's wind blocker vests but have not yet tried it.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I've been using Asbell wool for several years and its a great product. The zippered jacket is top notch, I've been using one in Little Delta plaid this year. I've been wearing mine everywhere, hunting, shooting, going to town, work. I love it!

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with her wool!!! I got a timber ghost and wind blocker vest from Roger and they are top notch. But with confidence.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
I really want to try one of the zippered models.  Maybe I'll get some Christmas cash this year I can use.  ;)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I hunted the other day and it was 45 or so early in the evening and got down to 30 or so by dark.  I had a cotton T, Duofold long johns, wool shirt and a wool Asbell Mackinaw (I wasn't wearing the hood though) pullover on.  I was very comfortable.  Except for one really cold morning, I think I have worn about the same thing every hunt this year.  I might add a sweater if it was in the 20's.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
You won't be disappointed with any of Teresa's stuff.It was 25 deg. this morning and I wore Cabela's MTP underwear and a wooltimate pullover and my Little Delta Plaid jacket and was toasty.When the sun hit me it was like the jacket heated up.Get one with the hood,you'll love it.

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
fivebears- that was exactly what I was thinking in terms of layering with the wooltimate pullover! Thanks, all, for the input!

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I second the hood.  You won't resent it.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
That's all I wear anymore here in Wisconsin.  Layer properly and you will be all set.  When it is really cold I use a wooltimate vest with wind blocker over my asbell wool and it works great.   All of my old cold weather gear  seems bulky compared to how I dress now.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
and you are correct- timber ghost is a great pattern!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Anybody have their mackinaw pullover with hood? Do you basically get a double-layer of wool over your upper chest and shoulders when you through the hood part on? That would seem to be the way to go!!

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
The patterns are outstanding, I wear Evening Stand Brown I have had deer look right thru me while wearing that pattern this year! it has to be layered to be warm, temps are really varied here in Michigan so far in Dec, as low as the high teens and lately in the 40s in the PM! I have a hooded pullover vest, but I hope to purchase a couple pieces in differant patterns at the Kazoo show in January, prolly the zippered models! That Timber Ghost would be ideal at this time of the year!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Won't get to see mine. Jacket or vest.  Some dirtbag scum sucking piece of feces must have needed it worse than me.  Delivery confirmation from USPS and no package in the box or by the front door.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
archeryx too bad to hear of your loss, makes you wonder how some people can live with themselves.

Do most of you guys wear a vest under the pullover or zip up?

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Stujay- I was wondering the same thing about layering. Basically, I'm wondering (and I know everyone is different) about the comfortable temp range for SITTING ALL DAY IN A STAND. When late October/early November hits in Wisconsin and the rut is on, I want to sit from dark to dark comfortably. I'm sure that means some kind of insulation layer under the Asbell, just curious what people are using (I know one of you said Cabelas wooltimate). Either way I hope to get one of those jackets soon!
Thanks everyone for the info/advice!

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
Buy me some for Christmas (TubbsTru is my son) and I'll critiqued it for you. Ha! You owe me this much for your traditional genetics! (Glad your on tradgang)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©