3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell wool garments?!?  (Read 475 times)

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell wool garments?!?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
I layer with several differant pieces depending on the temps, baselayer is always merino wool, if it is not real cold light Polarfleece jacket, or a light wool shirt, December i use a heavier wool coat under my vest i make sure my vests are roomy enough to do so with out restricting my ability to draw the bow! Those big pockets on the garments are a great feature too!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I use the blocker vest and a pull over,over my wool bibs even in the coldest wheather here in michigan,never been cold. Now if Theresa could make some wool socks for my feet I would be all set.  :archer:

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
stillhunter- I'm sorry to inform you that you're on the naughty list this year  :)  Actually, you're already taken care of for Christmas- maybe your birthday! Thanks for the genes too  :)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
The mackinaw with hood is two layers over your shoulders, and upper chest and back.  It is very warm and the over size hood will fit over any hat you are wearing.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
This is a copy of a post I did on another thread... It outlines my layering scheme for cold weather but it's a very versatile system right down to just using the vest for warmer weather...

Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
Question guys are the sizes accurate?  Other words if I wear a large in shirts what size pull over should i get?
Agree with others... I wear Medium shirt, I have all medium Asbell Wool. While you're at it, I recommend getting there windblocker vest!!! For really cold sits this is my layering and it's not bulky!!!

Very versatile to mix and match...

Cold Gear Under Armour Long Sleeve Compression fit shirt
Justin Charles Merino Wool Long Sleeve 3/4Zip Turtle neck Base Layer
Small Asbell Windblocker Vest with long turtle neck, higher in back than front...
Medium Asbell Evening Stand Green Pull-Over Shirt from the Mackinaw Set, no hood
Medium Asbell Evening Stand Brown Vest, no hood
Medium Asbell Evening Stand Green Mackinaw Cape & Hood from the set over it all...

I wear my treestand safety harness over the windblocker vest so it doesn't get in the way of the turtle neck, and then comes the shirt & vest, then stick the "tether" strap under the back of the Mackinaw cape so it's out of the way, plus I can put on & take off the cape in the stand if I want depending on temperature... Sweet set-up for sure!     :thumbsup:     I wear each of the components individually too for early season wear options.

I also have two of their Wool Haversacks!!!! Sweet...

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
My missing wool is here. We had contacted the PO about it this morning. They said there was a sub yesterday and they would contact my normal carrier so he could check on it when he got there. The substitute mail man put the package drop key in the wrong mailbox. My neighbor came by and gave me a key a few minutes ago. Woooooo!

Teresa had even heard about it and offered replacements and was getting started. What a great person.

Needless to say USPS has failed in the CS department again.  When I caught the normal guy today at the box. I asked him if he had gotten the message from the Post Office. He said 'no'. Surprise, surprise!

stujay: here's my timber ghost vest, and thanks again to Teresa!  

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
archeryx, thanks for the posted pic...good news on getting your goods!

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:00 AM »
Anybody know if the Asbells will be at the Kalamazoo show this year?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
The Asbells will be at Kalamazoo for sure. I will also be working in thier booth.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
I have one of the Asbell pullovers and love it. The only issue I have is my skin has major reactions to the wool. It doesn't matter how much I layer, I itch and turn red. Can a person have a skin allergy to wool? Is there anything, besides layering, that I can do?

By the way, I'm looking to lighten the amount of gear I take while hunting and I think the Asbell Haversack will be my next purchase.
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Yes, you can be allergic to wool, or even to the lanolin that is in it. It is itchy to me, too, but nothing beats wool. I can hardly wait for Teresa to get mine finished!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Anybody have a pic of the Mackinaw without the hood attached? I want to see how the pieces look separate...

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I layer my pullover with either a merino wool or synthetic base layer (usually just a t-shirt) and then a light merino long-sleeve layer.  If necessary, I'll add a 3rd merino layer but more of a medium weight.  Pullover on the outside.

For merino wool, I use various Minus 33 (for base layers, most of their colors are only solids like black and very dark green) and First Lite items (available in various camo options, make great outer layers on slightly warmer days).  I use SmartWool socks, though they also make some clothes (non-camo stuff as I recall, and I was already overed there with Minuss 33, so I can't speak to their quality; really good socks, though).
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©