3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feedback on Whip, Centaur, Quick Styk, and MOAB  (Read 338 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Feedback on Whip, Centaur, Quick Styk, and MOAB
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Hi All,

First of all, I'm not asking for the "Best" bow they are all fantastic bowyers with great reputations.  I'm just curious about feedback for those of you lucky enough to have or have shot these bows.  The Toelke Whip, Centaur, Robtertson quick styk, and MOBB seem to fit the bill.  I've shot enough to know that I really like a R/D hybrid longbow with a narrow profile, longer limbs, and a slim locator grip.  I'm looking for a one piece stick style bow that has a smooth profile and lines.  Sadly, I have not been able to shoot these so any feedback is helpful. Particularly for those who have shot more than one I'd be interested in differences in limb and riser design as well as grip.  Other details like wait time would be nice if you know it.  I'm also really wanting cocobolo veneers and some bowyers won't so if you know yes or no that would be great.  I draw to about 29.5 so I'm thinking a 62" or possibly 60" (I hear this is the favorite MOAB length even out to my draw).  The MOAB seems to have a riser slighly closer to a more traditional longbow, is that an accurate perception?  I like a grip that is medium low, it tends to have a moderate throat and palm swell but not too much of either.  I can't wait to hear from you guys.  Feel free to PM me if you have more specific observations.

Thanks,

Zane
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feedback on Whip, Centaur, Quick Styk, and MOAB
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Zane,
I've owned and shot all but the Robertson on your list.
Of those three, I don't believe you could go wrong. Depending on the laminations, I think the Centaur would be the quickest but I'm not sure I've owned any bow that is quieter than a Toelke Whip.  I also really like the handle and thumbrest on the Whip. I also don't think Dan would have any trouble using cocobolo veneers, but don't quote me on that but I do believe I've seen examples of such on their website.
I think from my post, you can tell which bow I would buy again.
But it would be good if you were able to test drive each and see what was best for you personally.

Good luck on the search.

Ron
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Hey Ron,

Thanks.  The whip is the one it looks like someone has local and I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to shoot it.  I'm very curious about how the thumb rest will feel.  If you like that style grip/riser combo, was the MOAB signficantly different or pretty similar?

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Dan has made me a number of Whips both Standard and the Classic which I now shoot. I have shot some of the other bows on your list but in fairness the only way to truly compare them is to set them up properly and this means owning them. Even then you will be getting a personal opinion. I can tell you that the Whip is a superb performer, exceptional by any measure: smooth, forgiving, zero handshock, quick and quieter than quiet. In addition you will not find anyone more commited to customer satisfaction and willing to work with you than Dan. With Dan you get a bow that will be flawlessly constructed of beautiful woods, it will be a superb performer and you will wait a few weeks, not months or years.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
If we find the time, you are welcome to shoot my Whips.

I have the 64" on hand with the 62" on order

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
Zane,

I have not shot any of the 4 you have mention but the Centaur and have owned 3 still own 1 and have another in the making.  So I can only give you a bias opinion, that is I have shot more deer since switching over from a recurve to the longbow and that has been the Centaur.

Now I’m not saying that you will kill more game if you choose to select a Centaur but I'm Just saying    :saywhat:  

Now in all seriousness all of the bows mention come from great bowyer and all would be a great choice.  I would love to try a Whip has I’ve heard so much about them, as also the MOAB.  The Robertson I have not heard much about (the quickstik that is).

As for the Centaur the wait time is prabally the one draw back in that it is 10-14 months on average, the Whip is normally 6 weeks or less!  Not sure on the others, price about the same with comparable options. The Centaur has a proven record as for it stated performance (Blackie did a test report and it can be researched) it is nearly dead in the hand as can be (they all make the claim but very few if any can prove this look at high speed film let alone feel) and it is a great bow as for shoot ability.  

Perhaps Mike Buska (Yellowdog) will respond I know he has tried the Centaur and the Whip for sure.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
You're my local Whip:)  I'm just waiting for that 62" to come in.  It's almost the perfect specs.  When do you expect it to arrive?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Another fact about the 4 you’ve mention is that 3 of them I believe reside in Montana, what with that   :dunno:   Perhaps Jim at Thunder may need to move??

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
DP Opps

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on the Centaur.  How's the palm swell on the grip?  It seems a bit larger than the others but it's hard to tell in pics.  Do you have the finger grooves?  I will occassionally change up my grip slightly and I don't know that I'd have him put the finger grips on there.  Thanks also for the wait time info, that's what I had heard.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Had a Centaur Carbon Elite, have a Whip, never shot the other two.  I prefer the Whip over the Centaur as I like the grip with thumbrest better.  Most consistent grip I've had so far.  That said, any of the 4 bowyers will custom make a grip for you.  Pick which one you like the looks of the most.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Zane,

Here a few pic’s of the Centaur Chimera I now own with the standard grip and after I added a Big Jim beavertail grip (the cats meow).

I didn’t think I would like the finger grooves but now i’m sold on them and I have shot one without and it was a good feel but I like the grooves better and they produce a repeatable consistence shot.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Texasrecurve81:
Hey Ron,

Thanks.  The whip is the one it looks like someone has local and I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to shoot it.  I'm very curious about how the thumb rest will feel.  If you like that style grip/riser combo, was the MOAB signficantly different or pretty similar?
The thumb rest works well for grip alignment but you don't squeeze the bow - I would go 64" with a 29.5" draw. Dan mentioned to me if you really grip the bow the leather wrapped classic without the thumb indexer is the way to go.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
That beavertail grip is awesome!  What color is it?  It looks like partially brown and black.  Did Jim put it on for you or did you do it yourself?  

Other than the thumb rest or finger grooves, any major differences is the feel of the two grips?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Zane,

Big Jim put it on at last years Howard Hill Southeastern Classic, in McCalla, AL.  He had this fantastic chocolate brown tone with some darker bands in it piece of Beavertail that absolutely matched my bow, had to have it!  The grip with the beavertail added probably about 1/8” more in grip dia. and the extra grip with the letter made for the perfect grip for me, love it.

Jim will make the bow to your hand he requires a hand tracing (if you want the grooves) with your order and he will get it right.  I just sold a Centaur that I had Jim make with a higher grip and only 2 finger grooves so Jim will make you what you want and is a truly custom bow builder within some limit of his bow design.
Here’s a few pic’s of that bows grip...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Zane,

Also both bow risers are Cocobolo, one in a brown tone and the other a dark rich red.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Any Robertson or MOAB feedback out there?

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I love my Moab it shoots and feels great,
Larry
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
I shoot a 62" Toelke whip and I draw to 32" without stacking. As others have said, they are sooooooo quiet. Dan will use cocobolo (my dad has one with it). I cannot give you any feedback on the others but they all have great reputations. Just buy one and trade it off if ya want somethin else.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I have a moab. The only bow I have never put up for trade or sale. I have had a couple more. One was a little to heavy and the other a 62" I didn't like as well as the 60".

Shot a couple whips before a couple years ago, but don't recall being blown away. They were nice and I would like to shoot more of them.

I have shot a couple centaurs and had one for a while. The dished shelf didn't work well for me. Liked the grip a lot. Very light weight mass was not very stable for me. I am not sure I am into the whole carbon thing. I would love to try an all wood one with a nice heavy riser wood.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©