3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting with glasses  (Read 468 times)

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting with glasses
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Well after 10 years I am finally tired of contact lenses. I am going back to glasses for multiple reasons.
Curious if the glades will have an affect on my shooting?
(string not as close to the face maybe?)
Any input would be helpful. I know alot is you wear glasses.
Any body switch like I am and have any issues?
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting with glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I recently started to wear glasses and was worried that they would affect my shooting.  I've found that they help to reinforce my form, keeping the string away from my face. I still keep my same anchors, but now I have an extra reminder when I let the string get too close to my cheek.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I've always shot with glasses, and no problems.... other than some time,  in the late fall, they fog up... but no big deal!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Effect your shooting, only if your string contacts them. I have one set of eyeglasses I can not shoot with as they sit farther out from my face, the others are fine. Also certain angles glare can get you.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Me too...I used to have pilot eyes, as my mother would say (20-15)...I use them now mild mag to be able to see fine details. Only issue is that when I use a Hooded face scent blocking head gear in winter or late fall is that if I get my nose inside my glasses will fog when I breathe out.

My 2 centavos...

JL   :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old. Never had a problem shooting recurve bows wearing glasses.

I'm now 62 years old and still shoot both of my recurves wearing "trifocal" glasses (with the two lines). No problems hitting where I'm aiming at (instinctive) with both eyes open.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
If you require bifocal or trifocal lenses, get them instead of the no-line / progressive type.  I know of quite a few folks that will tell you that the no-line lenses will distort your aim.  The biggest disadvantage to wearing glasses over contacts in my opinion is that lenses will fog up easily.  I have tried all sorts of anti-fogging tricks and solutions and they do help for the fog to clear quickly, but it doesnt prevent them getting fogged up in the first place.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I just got some glasses, they are progressive bi-focals. I can not shoot with them, changes the point of impact. Seems quite a few folks have problems with the progressives.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I hate my glasses for hunting. I don't have any problems with them standing on the ground shooting a target but in a tree stand for hunting purposes, I have to take them off to shoot.

I've been wanting to try contacts!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by MCNSC:
I just got some glasses, they are progressive bi-focals. I can not shoot with them, changes the point of impact. Seems quite a few folks have problems with the progressives.
My experience too. I also had problems with the frames obstructing my sight picture slightly.

I did the opposite... I went from glasses to contacts and wouldn't go back for anything. I wear the extended wear lenses... a pair lasts me about 2 months. Pop 'em in and forget them until they start bothering me.

While wearing glasses, rain, fogging, dropping them (from a treestand once!) and other problems were the norm.

Good luck!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I only need my glasses for reading, and it makes me nervous to shoot with them...even though I haven't snagged them with the string. At least without them I have a built in excuse for making a bad shot!

:knothead:    :bigsmyl:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Size does matter.  My new glasses are small and i find the frames effect my shooting. My old frames were larger and I shot well.  Triffocals also interefere.  When you draw make  sure you donot have them in your focus area
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
I have bad, bad, bad astigmatism, and without glasses, can't even comb my hair in the mirror.  I have managed to get some pretty expensive contacts, and wear them from time-to-time... but I really shoot better with glasses.

I shot my recurve solely with sights until a couple years ago, and always lined up the string (rear sight) in front of my eye, over the sight pin.  Something about the way I did it, I often touched my glasses lens with the string, and ended up with wax on my right lens much of the time.

Now I shoot without sights, and cant the bow a little, and I don't touch my glasses lens anymore.  I have no problems shooting with glasses, except for the fogging up, and occasionally having issues with peripheral vision (when seeing things outside of the lens).

Due to my heavy prescription, doctors have had a hard time correcting me to 20/20, and at different times in my life, different eyes have adapted to the best level of correction.  The result is that I have no dominant eye... just the one I see better with at any given time.  And now, with glasses my right eye sees best, and with contacts, my left sees best.  When I switch between the two, it really throws a monkey wrench into shooting a bow!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I always took my glasses off to shoot and have switched to contacts now.  I use daily contacts that I throw away every night so I always put in a clean pair in the morning.  With the construction and sawdust a monthly set of contacts would last me about a week.  No shooting with glasses for me.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline LarryP243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
I wish I could blame my poor shooting on my glasses.but I shoot just as poorly without them. I  do have progressive lenses so maybe I can use that as an excuse. I don't think glasses change my shooting as long as I focus on a spot on the target,I shoot with both eyes open and do not see anything except the target

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I also have been shooting with glasses since 11, 61 now, and have the lined bifocals.Cataract last year just about wiped out my vision in the left eye but all is good now. Fogging is the only issue I have with glasses but can live with that if out in the woods-just expose the old snoot. Was warned about distortion in the progressives so never tried them but hearing about people who had a heck of a time getting used to them made the lined glasses a no-brainer. So what if people notice you are older and have lined glasses.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I use progressive lens with no problem, but I do remember my optometrist telling me to point my nose at what I want to see. It seems that progressive lens glasses have a more critical focal point than the other type of lens that old farts like us use.
Molon labe

Offline WhiteBeard121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
I hadn't thought much about this until reading this thread. I've always worn progressives and didn't realize there might be a difference. Today, I pulled out an old pair of bifocals that I've never worn (I was very used to the progressives when I got the bi's), and walked out back and gave them a try. All I can say is WOW, what a difference they made! I'm a believer (but I'll wear he progressives for casual wear). Thanks for the valuable info.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
My major complaint with the progressive lenses is how little of the actual lens area they'll use to grind the Rx into!

It's a very small hour glass area! I have them grind in bigger bifocals at the bottom for reading so I don't have to move my head like "Data" on Star Trek! Why can't they use more of the lens w/ progressives?

Till they do, I'll stick with bifocals or someday sooner than later, tri.

Only think I found this year wearing them in the woods was that walking and glancing down to avoid sticks, etc, almost made me puke cause I'd end up looking through reading bifocals and almost fall!(last pair had a slight correction for distance which really helped in the woods)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Yes, the progressive give me trouble too.  I stick with contacts.  You don't move your eyes, you move your head with progressive lenses.  Like Doc said, big lenses small sweet spot.  Never had the lined lenses. Might be worth a try one day.   Fogging up is a real deal with glasses and when you see him coming in you quit thinking about fogging and your breath changes and... and...

There is nothing good about glasses except you don't bump into things.
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©