3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: King of the Mountains Wool gear?  (Read 718 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: King of the Mountains Wool gear?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
By far, KOM garments are the best that can be had. As mentioned earlier,non reflective like animal fur and so warm. I have found that I can stay out hunting longer because of it's warmth also.
Price of admission may be high but it will last for many many years. I swear by it.

..........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Agree with much that has been said.  My only complaint is the weight of the coat and bibs..  Heavy if you have a ways to walk or pack..

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I love your "Closet", Tippit...I don't think I can do the same and get away with it unscathed, I have all kinds of critters around my place, from field mice to Biggy Bears!

PS. Thanks for all the comments...after reading the first few, I really felt like a goof ball, didn't think the KOM on the classifieds was the acronym for the product!

JL    :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Iron Man,

As others have stated; King of the Mountain (KOM) is top quality gear. I bought my first KOM product, a Bushman Shirt in 1992. I grew out of the shirt a few years back and passed it on to my son, who continues wearing it today. KOM is pricey but well worth the investment.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
That is some inventory, Tippitt!

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Best Ive used.
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
If you are packing with synthetics on, and run into an emergency situation, you will wish you had KOM, or other good wool. I've been in the CO mountains with it for miles and miles.  It's not heavy or problematic when you layer and dress correctly.  Everyone compares to wool, it's the gold standard for a reason.

I do stay away from anything with a liner though for packing.  Breathes better and dries faster.

I've been in downpours with KOM and base layers never got wet.  Amazing stuff.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
It's the only set I have had to buy for 20 years of hunting. I wear for everything, out west for Elk, Texas for hogs, MN for whitetail. It still has not lost it's shape or fit and still looks like brand new.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
I have alot of King clothing and love all of it, been using it for over 10 years now and it still looks great.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
i have the bun-lite pants and a bushman shirt. great products!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
You get what you pay for. When you can pass down these woolens to your GRANKIDS, anything else is false economy, IMO.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I'm not as infatuated with KOM as I used to be.  I own several pieces and as I've become more objective, I may be liking it less.  It can be bulky for one and may inhibit some archery movements.  The weave is not very tight, or at least not as tight as other high quality wools can be, so definitely not wind proof (like most wool).  It does tend to shrink and yes, I do know the trick of stretching it when it is wet.  I have gone through several XL Bomber hats that started out big enough, only to shrink beyond me being able to wear them at all, and w/o washing, I might add.  There are little things like shallow front pockets of the pants which I don't care for.  The pants are also not conducive to lifting your knees at times.  KOM is expensive and I’m okay with that but it’s better when you have something that is near perfect.  

Years ago they had an unconditional warranty and custom fitting that made it worth buying...not sure if that still applies today?  You see the big names in archery wearing it less, E. Donnall Thomas & G. Fred (obviously has his own wool) come to mind.

In any case, some very objective feedback.  I would consider other wool before I jumped in head first, if money was an issue.  If you can afford to own it no matter what, then I think you’ll find uses for it and enjoy it very much.  The camo patterns always feel right and look cool!  It is good stuff but IMO there may be somethings they could do to improve their product.

The lovers of KOM will flame me for this...there is a devout following and for good reason.

Kris

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
sounds like you need a lesson in wool care?

I have KOM wool that is 20 plus years old I wear it every season, I just gave my son a pair of pants hand me downs?
what other hunting clothing will last this long?

the only regret I have is the KOM that I have sold!
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
My wife has ruined so many of my fancy designers' name sweathers and pullovers few weeks old that costed 3 times more than my KOM Jacket,also some Cachemire.Wool needs some care for sure.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Its is the only stuff to wear when its cold.
The bibs, a trapper pullover, bowman or standmaster jacket and a beavertail vest guarantee at least four hours in -40, in any stand before you can feel the cold sneaking in, and it always does. You may have to shorten your draw a bit but you are warm and hunting, silently as well. Just because its cold doesnt mean their ears quit working.
I have a good collection of camo, the stuff the big names wear and some they don't, after 0 F, nothing but KOM. Some of mine is 20 years old as well which cuts the cost down.

Terry

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Horn Hunter ,sounds like you need a lesson in communication ethics. Kris put his opinion out in a constructive manner,I own  5 grand in KOM  wool and a lot of what kris says is true,you ask what clothing will last you 20 years of hunting,Sleeping Indian,he invented KOM garment,Penelton Wool Company,this the wool that KOM uses and there is Filson,Johnson,and many others..

Offline Bighornangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I have had the KOM pants, shirt, bowman's jacket, hats, and two of their packs. I sold all but the Bowmsn's Jacket and one fanny pack. There was nothing wrong with the stuff I got rid of. I only did so because I found myself not using most of items. I will not part with the B. jacket or the fanny pack. Love them. The only fault I have with the KOM stuff is the weight.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
I love my KOM, never had problems with it shrinking.  Wash it in cold and hang or dry flat depending on the garment.  Best of all is I have collected all of mine used so never had to pay the "new" price.  I have other wool too which I like.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I have the KOm vest, shirt and bunwarmer pants. I've had these for 12 years, but don't wear it a lot cause weather has been too warm. I took the buttons off the shirt and put in a heavy duty zipper cause I got tired of trying to get it unbuttoned with cold fingers. Love it like this, The vest is great. The pants are a disappointment in that there are a number of spots where the fabric is thin and separating. For the amount of use I have put them through( not a lot) I am really disappointed in them. I have army surplus wool pants that have 2-3 times the use on them and are in much better shape.
My opinion is that there are better products out there for less money.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »
dnovo, I am surprised at the failure of your bunwarmers. I have put mine thru hell since 1989, including my buddy and I sliding 200 yds.down a shale slide on our butts in Idaho. We were surprised that the pants showed no sign of wear. I wonder if the older ones were better quality?
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©