3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose Hunting in Alberta  (Read 323 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moose Hunting in Alberta
« on: December 15, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I've been doing some research about hunting in Alberta. I talked to an Outfitter today (Renee Sempler).

Anyone here with experience in Alberta?  I'm considering this because I can better afford $6,000 than the more expensive $10,000-20,000 hunts further west and north.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Hunting in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Renee Semple southpaw outfitters is top notch ,, He has good guides and has probably the best area for Moose if you can't get it done with him It would be your skill level not his  :D    :wavey:
Gord

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Roy PM sent.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Just pick me up on the way.

Seriously if your looking for someone to go with give me a shout!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks Gordon.

I talked to Renee at length today on the telephone.  Sounds like a great guy and he shoots recurves.  

I'll look for your PM Gun.  

I had 5 guys in mind, counting me.  It appears two have large taxidermy bills coming due this summer and the other may be hunting in Africa. None of these fellows may be able to afford Alberta in 2013 on top of those expenses.

The convenient thing for me is that I I don't have to have a certain number in the party as I'm not trying to get, or will I receive a discount by lining up multiple hunters.  Right now I have a solid two...my best friend and myself.  It is 1,984 miles (30 hours) to drive.

The hunt with Renee (from my conversation today) is early October. It is 9 days with the middle 7 days actual hunting. Days 1 and 9 are pre and post logistics.  He sure does report seeing LOTS of moose!

I'll have to decide this (33% deposit) in the next month before the outfitter starts going to hunt shows and booking his hunts.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Roy ,let us all know what happens on your moose hunt plans.Moose have consumed my interest for lots of years.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Will do.

Here are other things I've learned today.

Moose license for a U.S. Citizen in Alberta is only $269.  A bowhunting certificate is another $23.  There is also an "Allocation Fee" but I don't know how much that is.  Doesn't matter much because the outfitter fee includes all licenses, including the allocation fee.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Roy ! PM sent. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Wow guys!  I've seen many threads where folks have asked questions about hunt travel plans and advice.  I've never done it myself though until now.  I'm getting some terrific insight from this thread and some PMs!

I don't know where this is going to lead but the help here is making the haystack a bit smaller as I look for the needle!

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Keep us posted!  I am in the same boat, I have been  looking into an Alberta moose hunt myself.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
I travel from Saskatchewan every september to my sons in Alberta.Prices in Alberta for Non-residents I believe are the best deal around.most of my relatives live in BC and the prices are about 3 times.Find yourself a buddy in Alberta to hunter host you and head north,fantastic hunting.
I just sent you some info and pics,Enjoy !LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
:campfire:  I'll be watching this one for sure!  A moose hunt is definitely in my future plans, please keep us posted!!

Thanks,Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Lots more information since last night -- thanks Steve, Gun, Ken and others!

Looks like I might have seen the wrong website for pricing on the license.  So the $269 I wrote above might be $525 but maybe that includes allocation fees, etc.  No matter, the license fees are inconsequential in the over all funding as is the usual case.

I'm leaning ever more closely to the Semple operation.  I've found cheaper and I've found more expensive but bigger animals.  I did just learn of the "Hunter Host" concept and I do know some folks in Alberta. One is my brother in Edmonton but he isn't a hunter so I doubt that will work out.  Oh, he'd love to go on a  hunt for the adventure but he'd have no idea on any of the where to.  

I'm also learning that some very nice moose racks I've seen over the years aren't anywhere near 55" +.  This is good news because most of the outfitters talk about 30-45" bulls being the norm. I was thinking those would be too small, but I was wrong.  I know you can't eat the rack but I've not been saving a place on my wall for a tasty cow.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm booked with AWGS for a ten day hunt next fall.  Hope it goes well!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I hunted with AWGS a number of years ago, and thought it to be a great hunt. Dave is a recurve shooter, himself. I believe Littlebigman has hunted there a number of times.Good people, too.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Bow wild what area of Alberta does he hunt ? I had good success in the Birch Mountains about 85 miles northwest of Ft. McMurray . Unlike Alaskan Moose Canadien Mooose have narrower racks but much deeper shovels . Best of luck on a super hunt , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
do a search for my moose trip trips in 2007 and 2011 both time with awgs
Make a life, not a living

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I 2nd what Greyfox posted...what I can add is the following: I hunted the the NW section of AB also, however, I was roughly 20-40 miles west of Edmonton for whitetails and elk. I did not hunt for moose, however, we did call them in fairly easily. This was several years ago and during mid sept to the first week of nov. We got more responses late oct to nov in that area. Another thing to research from "reliable sources" not an outfitter trying to book and fill their allocations are success rates, number of older bulls and wolf activities/numbers. The wolves can have a big affect on the herd from year to another.

I hope this adds to your research.  My 2 centavos.

JL   :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
1.5 hours west and a bit north of Edmonton.  It is archery-only well into October. Firearms season doesn't start until Nov. 1 in the unit. Mixed farmlands.

Looks like two of us will lock in.

Offline 202turkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Roy, One of my dream hunts. I would try to hang with you guys if I could afford it. Sounds like a good time.  Joe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©