3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two guys and a dead bear (Edited to add story)  (Read 536 times)

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
Two guys and a dead bear (Edited to add story)
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
(After some prodding, I went back and added the story.  I hope you enjoy).

This picture was from last fall in Colorado.  I'd just shot this big old boar from way too close.  It was one of my most memorable hunts; I'm glad my Dad was there to share it with me.  I like it when I'm browsing old pics and am flooded by memories.

-Vig

The bear story starts where the elk story ended.  Or, to be more accurate, where the elk's life ended.  Exactly where it ended, over what remained.  The closest tree that I could comfortably hang a tree stand on was about 75 yards away, and that aspen coincidentally held my tree stand about 13 feet up.  It was a good elk stand near a waterhole, proven by the gut pile in front of me.  The problem was there was only oaks nearby, and very few what looked big enough to support me.

I hung a tree stand anyway up in the nearest clump of oaks.  The tree was only about the diameter of my arm only six feet up in the air, but it was the best chance I had to ambush a bear.  I knew they were around because I'd seen the sign: piles of bear poop in the trail you had to strain your leg to step over.  The evening before I shot the elk my Dad pointed out a bear track on the water hole that my five-inch fletch wouldn't span.  "You'll know it when you see that bear," he told me.

It took a couple of days before there was any evidence of bear activity where we cleaned the elk.  I had been sitting in the oak tree, six feet off the ground, morning and night.  Finally, as my Dad and I snuck in just past daylight we realized that things had been disturbed very recently.  I hurried into the stand while my Dad went back down to the pond in case another elk was going to make the ill-fated decision to drink.  I stepped onto the platform and looked down to realize that whatever had disturbed the elk remains had drug them almost under my stand, behind some thick oak I couldn't shoot through.  

I made a lucky decision to break a few of those branches and clear a shooting lane just in case the bear approached from my left side.  I grabbed my bow, knocked an arrow, and stood surveying the situation when I thought I heard a noise off to my left.  I froze, straining to make out what I'd heard.  Then, getting louder with each repetition, was a breathing that sounded like something you'd hear from the overweight, over-indulging buffet regular on his fourth trip to the dessert bar.  I slowly craned my eyes to the left to catch a glimpse, hoping it wasn't a sow with cubs.  

Through the oak branches I got immediate identification of a legal bear.  It was less than 60 feet away and moving steadily toward my position; I remember seeing the huge light colored hump on its back and its huge dark front paws as it walked toward me.  I knew right then things were about to get a little western!  I readied my grip on my bow and tightened the string in the groove of my fingers and shifted slightly to aim through the small gap I had just cleared in front of me.  I consciously bent at the waist, knowing I'd be shooting near straight down.  As the bear walked under me I looked behind his shoulder, drew back my GrizzlyBows longbow, and released the arrow.  

There is some debate as to what happened next.  I remember calmly sliding another arrow out of my quiver as I calculated distance and shot angle to try to get another arrow in the bear.  Thankfully, as we found out later another arrow wasn't necessary.  I watched it spin and jump about three times before it lined out straight away with a bad limp on its front right leg.  My Dad, who if you remember, was on the waterhole 75 yards away, has a different recollection.  He said he heard some commotion and looked up in time to see a dust cloud and me in the oak tree thrashing side to side.  He heard someone growling and someone screaming and he didn't know which was me and which was the bear.  When things finally settled down he called up to me "What's going on up there?"

"I just shot the biggest bear I've ever seen!"  

He came up to meet me while I was still in the tree trying to gather my composure.  He stood in front of my stand, less than six feet away; I didn't have to bend down to hand him my bow.  He asked where the bear was when I took the shot… I laughed and told him it was exactly where he was standing.
With the help of two of my brothers we followed an exciting but easy blood trail.  Thankfully, the shot had done the job.
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two guys and a dead bear (Edited to add story)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Awesome!  :thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Nice bear!!! Tell us the story of the hunt.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
That, is a big bear! Congrats!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Cool pic! It is nice to just sit back every once in a while and relive the good times in our lives.

Bisch

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Please define way tooooo close.!!!I guess that's  when things get a little too real, I guess thats  little toooo close.LOL  Been lookng to move to SW Co near NM nice area.  nice JG

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Great picture, thanks for sharing!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
good pic and I like that bow...too.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
THAT would be a great memory, enjoy !

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Ya ditto. All the above!!
Story please

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
What can I say? Yes indeed it was a memorable hunt, wish you would share it with all the nice folks on TG. Remember what I said when we first saw his tracks? "You will know it when this guy comes by. (big track)."
mike

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
Love to hear the story on that one.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Congrats.
>>>------John------>

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Nice!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I would sure like to know how close is too close.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Love those old photos...real nice.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I love making memories.  I went back and added the "story" to go along with the pic.  

And, as another teaser... here is a pic from this past season.  My Dad had another exciting experience that ended with this beautiful bear.
I guess I should call this one "Two guys and another dead bear."

-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
Awsome stuff.  :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:00 AM »
Great shooting!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©