3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More on Which Eye is Dominant  (Read 300 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
More on Which Eye is Dominant
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Yesterday I was doing an archery program at a birthday party where there were about 20 kids shooting and at least 15 of them had never shot before. Two of them were shooting consistently to the left and it made me wonder if they were left eye dominant. When I tested them they did prove to be left eye dominant. This is the first time that I have seen a case where it was so obvious. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a situation where it was so obvious? I'll be more alert to it the next time I work with kids or adults.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: More on Which Eye is Dominant
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Interesting finding.

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
That is interesting.  I have a strong left eye dominance and shoot right handed.  It works ok, but im going to try and shoot leftly here soon.  When i try to teach others i start them on their dominant side though.
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Anytime I am trying to help a brand new archer, I always test eye dominance first. When they are brand new, they don't know which way they are supposed to do it and it is easy to tell them to start opposite hand. It's the guys that have been doing it backwards for a while that have a real hard time switching!

Bisch

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
One of the women in our Thursday night group was shooting a bow when I met her so I didn't check her for eye dominance. When I found out that she was left eye dominant I advised her to try shooting left handed. After two weeks she is now shooting much better left handed. One of the guys in the group shoots pretty good but he is left eye dominant also. He will probably switch also.

A lot of first time shooters will try to aim by putting the point on the bullseye. If they are left eye dominant shoot right handed then they will impact to the left consistantly. I was slow to realize that but then I have not heard anyone else say that either.

Offline Blackjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
this is how I discovered my daughters eye dominance,always shot left,got a lefty mad dog coming to switch her up now.

Offline Tickbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I have three daughters.  Two out of the three are right handed but left eye dominant.  I read somewhere that cross dominance is more common in females but don't know for sure.  Eric.

Offline dcolavito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at Jay Kidwell's book, "Instictive Archery Insights".

At least for those of us shooting "instinctively", eye dominance isn't much of a factor for accuracy, and he gives good reasons for this.  As he explains -- and again, for instinctive aiming ...

1. Dominant eye has more authority at close range and primary vision; loses authority at farther distance and peripheral vision.
2. Windage is a constant
3. We generally cant the bow, which moves the arrow out of the vertical plane beneath whichever eye we anchor closest to.

Have fun!
Dave

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I always check the students in my archery club.  It is amazing how many are cross dominant.  The starter kit my school got from NASP, had ten right hand bows, two left hand bows.  Quite often I have to have lefties rotate in on the end of a round to get them all through.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
It's always a good idea to check for eye dominance if you are going to instruct a shooter. But when you have 20 or more shooter in line to shoot for the first time, there isn't much time to check all of them out.  

Most of the cross dominant shooters that I have encountered recently have been female. Another thing that seems to be mostly with girls is that occasionally when a new shooter pulls back the bow and can't make themselves let go the string. I see that a lot especially with young girls under 10 yrs. old.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I'm left eye dominant.  I figure if most folks are more comfortable shooting right handed just have them squint the non shooting eye.  It automatically causes the shooting eye to take over and the problem is solved.  It's really a lot easier than fooling around trying to get someone to use their less comfortable hand for holding the bow, there's enough problems already with first time shooters trying to get the arrow to stay on the shelf, etc.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm goofy... and have no dominant eye.  Whichever eye sees better through my glasses or contacts is what my brain uses as dominant.  When I switch between glasses and contacts, it takes about about an hour to make the switch, and gives me a lot of "vertigo".  I always knew something was up, but the optometrist confirmed it with me a few months back.

Fortunately, my glasses leave me with my right eye "dominant", I shoot right-handed with both eyes open, and wear glasses most of the time.  When I wear contacts, my left eye sees better and becomes "dominant", and I have to close my left eye when I shoot.

But... to some degree, I always have double-vision, and the "dominant-eye" tests don't work on me, because I always see two of everything closer or farther than what I am focusing on.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
funny that after seeing a thread on eye dominant i checked to see which eye dominant i am. Go figure im left eye dominant but am right handed. i pull my bow string with my right. i shoot instinctive. Both eyes are always open. i never tried to switch hands and i hope i dont try it, im scared if i like it i have to change my new bow hahaha. i prefer to pull with my right hand tho
The Fishburglar

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
It is very common.   The signs include:

1. Closing the off-eye.
2. Missing the target to
3. Leaning the head over the string to get the "wrong" eye to aim.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
yes, always easy to see with kids. they know nothing of instinctive principles yet, and just do what they do.
David M. Conroy

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Don, I am left eye dominant and have shot right handed for years.....when I get tired or have shot a lot, I do start shooting left.....tried to switch one time, but gave up.....still shoot fairly good though......  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Hi Tony, how are you? The only two people that I have worked with to change over because of cross dominance started of awkward. One of them showed improvement in her shooting on the first night and came back two weeks later smoking the rest of the group. The other one continued to experience awkwardness but definitely began to shoot better in 2-3 weeks.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I need to shoot left handed, right eye dominant out of necessity. If my form is on I'm on.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Don't feel odd Archie, I have the same issue. I suppose most people are either right or left eye dominant, but a few like us are eye neutral. We have the double peripheral vision whether we shoot right or lefty. I enjoy shooting my recurve anyway (I think it's the fingers release more than anything)but if I don't become a good shot (a dessert-size paper plate)out to 25yds, I will go back to my compound out of respect for the animals that I hunt.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I can't figure which is Don's dominant eye. I can tell however when doesn't have his "shooting glasses" on!!  :laughing:
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©