3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chuck up top....let's hear that story!!  (Read 813 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chuck up top....let's hear that story!!
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
That's quite the pretty bear up top...I remember the story but would love to hear it again. Please link us to the story Chuck?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chuck up top....let's hear that story!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Geez, he had at least half of the last issue of The Michigan Traditional Bowhunter Magazine covered with bear stories...should be easy to put a few words up here!

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Well, thanks Ryan for calling attention to it. It sure took me by surprise Sunday AM when I saw it - the grandkids sure got a kick out of it.

Guys like Ryan have forgotten more in 15 minutes than I'll ever know in a lifetime's worth of bear hunting but if there had been one animal I had wanted in my lifetime, it was that colored bear and it was Ryan and his friend Darren Shipp who put up with my incessant questions and emails for several years prior... most graciously and patiently. My only regret is that the bear wasn't taken with Ryan as my outfitter.

As Steve O. pointed out, (and Steve - I must know who you are after all the years I was involved with MTB) my story was printed in MTB's magazine a couple of months ago. I really don't know what the protocol is here on the TG site re stories and so on but ... here's the story. I'll simply paste it in from the Word Doc here on my computer. As far as I can tell, I removed any direct link to my outfitter.

For those who aren't into a spiritual twist on life and hunting, well, you might just as well skip it because the bigger story here was indeed spiritual in nature. For those who'd tolerate it or enjoy that aspect of it, the story is definitely enhanced by that.

Thanks and congrats to all who were successful this past year and best wishes for your continued success. I'm definitely enjoying a renewed interest in the TG site! Here's the story ... Chuck

------------

Timing Is Everything – Alberta 2012

This past spring I traveled to Swan Hills, Alberta to bear hunt with John and Jenn Rivet. I’ve had the desire to take a color phase bear for many, many years and while the quest may have finally ended in Alberta this past spring, tagging that bear didn’t necessarily end up being the real story. The very nature of hunting itself certainly has a tendency to impart lessons about life and looking back, that’s indeed what happened.

While all of us have a favorite game animal to hunt and various motives to explain it, bear hunting has been mine since my very first bear hunt in Ontario back in the mid 80’s. I can’t exactly say when the desire to take a color phase bear developed but I’m sure it was shortly after that when I began trying to learn all there was to know about bears and bear hunting. There were many subsequent trips to Ontario with some success but the more successful I was in hunting and tagging bears that were black, the more of a desire I had to eventually try for a color phase. That first try was in Manitoba several years ago.

My trip to Manitoba by almost anyone’s standards could not have gone better. I had an outstanding outfitter who worked very hard and I saw a lot of bears. To add a new dimension to my bear hunting experience, my outfitter allowed me to hunt from the ground, ten yards from the bait. To say it added an interesting and exciting element to the hunt would be an understatement. I loved the incredibly close encounters and most of the bears displayed nothing more than curiosity and went on about their business.

Almost all were black – except one and that “one” hung around almost every night. Unfortunately the pecking order had long since been established and he spent most of his time circling the bait, keeping his distance from the larger, more experienced and aggressive bears.
He was a gorgeous bear – blonde with dark “socks” and dark rings around his eyes. Almost raccoon-like were his facial features. He never did present me with what could be deemed an ethical shot and it was not only frustrating but heartbreaking to come SO close so often.

At the same time I was being “tormented” by that blonde beauty, several other black bears made their appearances. Some were small, some very big, all were beautiful. I had a video camera mounted on a tripod next to me and each night after getting back to camp, we’d all review the footage and one huge bear in particular, though black, caught everyone’s eye including my outfitter. Every night he’d look at that bear and just shake his head, smile and say, “I cannot believe you haven’t shot that bear.” And of course each night I’d smile and tell him, “You know what I came for Darrell.”

As the week went on, I knew my chances of tagging that blonde bear were diminishing. He was simply outsized and outnumbered by the other black visitors. After making the long trip there, I knew that as much as I wanted to go home with a color phase, I didn’t want to go home empty handed either and the voice of my outfitter kept ringing in my ears – “I can’t believe you haven’t shot that bear.”

On the second to the last night, the big bear had been there for close to 20 minutes offering shot after shot. With his black coat glistening in setting sun, I finally decided that I could not pass on this bear. It was a bear that almost any bear hunter would give anything for the opportunity to take and in less than 5 seconds from the time the arrow left my bow, it was over. He never made it more than 15 yards from the bait. I walked up on him and instead of the characteristic “ground shrinkage” that is such a common occurrence in bear hunting, he seemed even larger. I could barely lift his head. At that point I was happy and satisfied with what I’d accomplished and so was my outfitter. He was a beautiful bear that weighed nearly 500 pounds and had a skull of over 20” – a very fine Manitoba spring bear.

After arriving home and especially after the rug hung on the wall, I knew the more expensive bear hunting trips weren’t something that would occur very often. The days after the hunt turned into weeks, eventually months and with some reluctance, I looked back at close to four decades of bowhunting, counted my blessings and learned to appreciate them all. I decided that the quest for a color phase bear was over and I needed to be content and satisfied with all that I had been graciously afforded and blessed with by God.

Yet, as those months rolled into years, the desire began to build once again. Getting older, I knew that at some point if I was to do it again, it had to be soon. On the other hand, over the past few years I had developed a pretty severe case of target panic and if you’ve ever had it, you know what that entails. I also knew what it would take to get “up” for another hunt like this. Did I have it in me for yet one more try? Could I muster the discipline necessary to defeat the target panic and spend countless hours practicing day after day prior to a hunt like this? Each time I thought about it, I’d try to convince myself to forget it and move on.

My faith plays a major role in my life and in light of all the more meaningful and significant things there are in life to pray about, I go back and forth as to how appropriate it is to actually pray about things that revolve around hunting. But if I had to be truthful, each time I looked at especially that Manitoba bear hanging on the wall, I often wondered why the one thing I had wanted so bad had eluded me. Again, I was thankful for the way I’d been blessed throughout my hunting career, yet there were many moments where I silently asked God, “Why, why not?” Each time I did, I was always reminded to trust Him in ALL things – even hunting. Eventually I began to pray about the possibility of trying again and after several months, with Gail’s encouragement, I decided to give it one more attempt.

Once I decided to go, there was a part of me that wanted more out of this hunt than just the opportunity to kill a color phase bear – I wanted it to be a spiritual experience as well. I had no idea at the time how that could or would unfold but I had the conviction and premonition that it would be and I began to focus my prayers in that direction.

I narrowed my search for an outfitter to Alberta but after mulling it over and over and not ever being able to make a decision, I called a friend from Manitoba who guided for a very successful outfitter there. Darren knew me, knew what I was looking for and without hesitation he gave me the name – John Rivet from Swan Hills, Alberta. I prayed some more and called John the next night. I told John what my experience had been, what I was looking for and with little hesitation he told me it wouldn’t be a problem at all.

A funny thing happened though during the course of that first phone conversation with John. The focus of our chat turned from bear hunting to things more spiritual in nature. John told me about the circumstances going on in his life which involved his father-in-law who was dying of cancer. While saddened by the events that were occurring, John mentioned that both he and his wife Jenn were at peace with what was eminent – Jenn’s dad knew the Lord and they had no worries whatsoever about what would occur after his passing. We talked at length about that in particular and I began to think in the days afterwards that it was almost undeniable - God was beginning to answer my prayers regarding my desire to see this “one more try” to be more than just “one more try” for a bear. I mailed John a deposit the next morning and the hunt was on. The excitement started to build!

Over the course of nearly a year, I shot my bow daily. I re-read Jay Kidwell’s book Instinctive Archery Insights, studying and putting into practice the chapters regarding target panic. I can’t begin to convey the effort that went in to defeating it – both physical and mental. Eventually I began to regain my old form and started shooting better and better. It was encouraging. I practiced off the deck, from a treestand, in the hot sun, in the rain and in the snow. Whenever I went for walks with our dog Annie, my bow and a couple of judo points went with me. Those who knew me best said they hadn’t seen me that excited about going on a hunt in years. I was. As winter broke and spring arrived, the days and practice sessions became longer, the time grew shorter and the anticipation built.

I flew into Edmonton and after being picked up by John and Jenn at the airport, the conversation of course ensued but after a year’s worth of Facebook messages as well as many emails, it was as though we knew each other already. The bond we shared in our love for the Lord only served to deepen our rapport. I spent the first night at John and Jenn’s home and on Monday we headed to bear camp.

The moment we arrived in camp, I knew this was going to be something like I had never experienced before. There were three different bears right in the camp, entertaining themselves with John’s equipment. I hadn’t even gotten out of the truck yet and I’d already seen more bears than I’d seen on some of the weeklong bear hunts I’d done in Ontario. We unloaded and prepared to leave for the first night’s hunt.

As John and I arrived at my stand, I was surprised to see bears already there and while they wandered off, they didn’t go far. Even the noise and commotion from John’s Argo didn’t seem to spook or deter them. I hurriedly made a few adjustments to the stand while John re-baited, all the while watching the bears watching us. While I should have been getting my bow ready and other essentials placed, I was busy getting my video camera out – I just could not believe the bears and their behavior. John changed a trail cam card and eventually pulled forward and turned the Argo around to go back down the trail. The bears, already back at the bait, simply watched as he drove by. If I hadn’t videoed it, I wouldn’t have believed it myself. It was amazing and it was nothing but a prelude of things to come. Each night in the stand was even more of an adventure. I don’t think I spent more than 15 minutes all week in that stand without at least one and more often than not, multiple bears in front of me. I could hardly wait to show Gail and the kids the video footage. The bears were plentiful, big and amazing to watch. It was without a doubt the most incredible bear hunting a guy could wish for.

One of the highlights of the trip was to be in camp with Russ Thornberry. Since Russ also lives in Alberta, over the years John and Jenn had struck up a friendship with Russ and for years now Russ has spent a week or two each year in their bear camp and I was most fortunate to be there the same time Russ was.

When I was back in my late teens, twenties’ & thirties’, I started reading about and watching videos from Russ’ bowhunting adventures. Russ has hunted, guided and outfitted all his life for everything from bears, moose, whitetails, caribou and about anything else you could think of on the North American continent in such places as Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon as well as many other places. He was and remains one of the pioneers and forerunners of the contemporary bowhunting movement and when I look back, Russ’ name is right there with some of the earlier names of those whose stuff I couldn’t get enough of – people like Jim Dougherty, Roger Rothhaar, Larry D. Jones, Jay Massey, Paul Brunner, Bob Foulkrod, many others. Yet what seemed to separate Russ from the rest was his wit, humor, command of the language and of course his vast experience with almost every North American game animal from one end of the continent to the other. Russ and many like him were HUNTERS and they videoed and wrote about the HUNT. Unlike a lot of the stuff you see today, it wasn’t about “personality” and resume` enhancement - it was about the hunt and with their work, you felt as though you were right there with them.

Along with that, I also was delighted to find that Russ was not only a devout Christian but an ordained pastor as well. It was a real treat to meet him and spend time in camp with him. We ended up sitting together a few nights, videoing each other as we hunted - lots of laughs for sure.

Finally, the chance I had waited for so many years for played out. A beautiful blonde bear came in and after having patiently waited for his turn at the bait, he finally settled in. I could hardly believe it was happening but indeed it was. Trying to relax and calm myself, I glanced over at Russ who smiled and gave me that “you can do it” look. The moment was right. I drew back, picked a spot, held and really, don’t even remember releasing or watching the arrow fly. The bear jumped and tried to run up the nearest tree but it was already too late. He made it about 4 feet up and stumbled back down and made an attempt to run down the same trail he came in on but collapsed in a heap.

I was in shock. I couldn’t keep my eyes off that bear for fear he may get up and walk away but of course it wasn’t going to happen. When I realized what had just taken place, I looked over at Russ and he whispered, “You did it”. We both smiled and I collapsed in a sea of emotion. With my hands at the sides of my face, all I could do was utter, “Thank you God, Thank you God.” We both got down and walked to the bear and of course the video shooting and picture taking ensued. I looked at my phone to see what time it was and saw that unbelievably I had cell phone service. I texted Gail and the kids, told them what occurred and of course told them I loved them. All the planning, all the effort, all the thousands of arrows shot across the backyard, all of it seemed worth it.

In a spiritual sense, my heart’s desire to make this more than just another try for a color phase bear became reality. After coming home from Manitoba in 08’ somewhat satisfied yet un-contented, I realize that God had taught me once more that His purpose and plans don’t always coincide with mine and He used, of all things, my quest for color phase bear to demonstrate His sovereignty over ALL the circumstances of my life. Back then I didn’t see it or understand it but as Russ and I knelt over that bear, it became crystal clear. A number of verses known and memorized since childhood came to mind:

Proverbs 3:5&6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight.

Philippians 2:13 - For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Isaiah 30:21 - Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it.

Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

God indeed had another place, another time in mind, a better place, a better time for when that quest would come to an end. Would I have been thrilled to have done it back in 08’ in Manitoba? Of course. Yet, God knew all along how much more enjoyable it would be, a few years down the road, in the environment it took place. Here I was, surrounded by a contingent of Godly people who could fully appreciate what took place there on that night and to top of it off, one of my bowhunting heroes, also a person who loves the Lord, was sitting right there and shared that moment with me. It was truly a story, an episode in life to be remembered, treasured and cherished.

Regarding equipment, I used a Black Widow MAIII recurve, 48@28 and Zwickey Delta two blade broadheads.

I always said the trip to Alberta would be one of those “once in a lifetime” deals but at this point, I’m not so sure. While I feel as though I’ve accomplished a goal and don’t necessarily feel the need to shoot another bear, I still want to experience the hunt and I hope to go back - if nothing else, to experience the bear camp environment and of course, the bears. Alberta is an incredible place and I am so very, very thankful to God, Gail, my family and of course John and Jenn for the opportunity to experience it. What a blessing! I’m glad I had the opportunity to share with you not just the story of a color phase bear but some of the lessons I learned about life as well.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
WOW... AMEN! May GOD continue to bless you and your family.
The Fishburglar

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Awesome story!
James Kerr

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Chuck,

Congratulations and great story.  It's good to see your name here too!

Ray
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing this fantastic hunt.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Chuck, OUTSTANDING! I'm very happy for you!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Great story Chuck!  Thanks for sharing the hunt and your faith story with us.  
Any chance you could post some more pictures and possibly some video?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Great bear Chuck Congratulations
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
great story , congrats   :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Congratulations again Chuck on a beautiful bear!
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Congrats! That is a great story.

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. I'll try to post a few picts ...

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
This was the Manitoba bear I referred to in the story.  

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
My outfitter John Rivet in camp.  

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Big bear track in camp.  

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Knew I could call you out.... you just got baited Chuck!

Thanks again for that amazing story....you're faith is inspiring!!

Ryan

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Thank you sir for sharing your story and testimony ! What a beautiful animal!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Great story Chuck.. Thanks for sharing!!

chris <><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©