3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need a self-bowyer to reduce weight...recommend anyone?  (Read 194 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
Need a self-bowyer to reduce weight...recommend anyone?
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
I've got a selfbow that's 67# and it's just too much weight for me.  Would like to have someone reduce it to 50-55.  I've never built a selfbow and I'm not about to attempt this myself so I'm looking for somebody that's real good to take some weight off.  I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need a self-bowyer to reduce weight...recommend anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Well, I'm a self bowyer and might be willing to do the work.  I've got a good track record; finished six bows since I started building four years ago and have never had one fail.  The tillering step should be fairly straightforward anyway, as I have a tillering board and would probably use a scraper exclusively.  

Can you offer more info on the bow?  Is it a flat bow, long bow (English style) or recurve?  Backed or unbacked?  Length?  Maybe post a picture so folks can get an idea of what they're getting into?

What sort of compensation are you willing to offer?

Another thing to think about is who's close by.  You probably don't want to ship the bow if you can avoid it, just to eliminate the potential for loss or damage.  What part of the country do you live in?
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
And once I see that you're from Auburn, Indiana, I realize that the Three Rivers Archery shop is nearby in Fort Wayne.  They probably don't have anyone on staff who'd do this for you, but they might be able to recommend someone locally who can do the work.  Or at least they might have a bulletin board in the store where bowyers can tack their business cards.
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
John Scifres is in Indiana. It would be worth the drive if he would do it.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
ttt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©