3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toughest Bow You Have Owned?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toughest Bow You Have Owned?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Bob Lee Classic - All micarta riser.

This bow is bomb-proof. Thinking about all the stuff I've put this bow through almost makes me feel like I hate her... But i'm pretty sure it willl still be slinging arrows until the day I die. No matter how many times she's been dropped, pulled through rabbit habitat, used as a shooting lane clearer for dead limbs, etc.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
An old Bear Montana, you did not need a haul rope to a tree stand you could just throw it down.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
Tall Tines longbow.  It became my walking stick in the Hawaiian mountains/cliffs, and more then a few times kept me from falling go my death, and still puts them where I'm looking.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
1990 Blackwidow MA2,, it should of been destroyed, warped, unshootable but till this day its still making people proud..

2nd,, and not because it was a good shooter but I once had  Martin MA12 longbow,,, I decided I hated the bow because I couldn't shoot it good so I beat the heck out of it for a year I unstrung it and was throwing it like a spear into trees and the ground, I poked a couple fires with it. I drove over it a few times with my truck on purpose to see what would happen, one day I just kept drawing it back and dry firing it, AND letting the riser go upon release so the bow would pop out of my hands and smack off the ground, I strung and shot it backwards ..  the bow just would not die and I ended up giving it to some local guy to shoot for fun,,,, Martin Bows are tough!  if the bow did break i was going to send it back to martin and see if they would refuse fixing it for how abused it looked but it just ended up with chipped limb tips and a gouged bubinga riser which didn't effect anything...

but for normal use I'd say Blackwidow's are among the top 2 toughest bows out there if not the #1 toughest and this goes for the previous year widows and any model bow!  

I still havent seen any other bow maker do to their limbs what blackwidow does to theirs in their first video,, I have no problem using the push pull "carefully in a pinch" or step through method stringing widow recurves ,,, but I don't shoot them anymore so I'll have to use a stringer and be carfull with the bows I have now.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Hand down toughest bow ever built! Original Paul Schafer Silvertip. I have one that has been run over by a truck, forgotten on top of the truck and and blown off while driving down the highway, bounced skipped and skidded into the ditch, had a string break at full draw and this bow still shoots as good as the day I got it! Has quite a few beauty marks and I wouldn't hesitate to take it out today and hunt with it!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
1973 Bear Kodiak Hunter.  It has been my back-up bow for many years.  Built like an entrenching tool.  No great shakes in speed or performance but reliable.  The kind you take home to Mother.

I notice that when you see a bowfisher in this area using a recurve it seems about half of them use Kodiak Hunters.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Biggie's old Quillian Longhunter
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
dropped my Dave Windauer Schafer recurve out of a tree and killed a deer w/ it 1hr later. Pauls aren't too shabby either..   :thumbsup:

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
In 1988 was hunting in Nebraska was in a hurry to get my tree stand hung for the evening hunt put is my screw in tree steps, climb back down put my Graybark B.W,at the base of the tree hookup a haul line to it and to my belt grapped the portable stand and climb up the tree was trying to hook the chain slipped out of my hand and dropped straight down cut the bow string and bow went flying for about 10yds I got down inspected the bow which had couple scratches replaced the string with one in my fannypack and was good to go shot nice buck with it the next morning and used that bow for 3 more years, Ken Beck and Bill Bonner made one tuff bow!
Independent Bow Hunter

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
My first bow.

It was a no-name red fiberglass bow with black rubber handle that I was given as a small child.  I broke many strings and restrung it with tarred trot line that my dad used for fishing.  That bow got used, abused, and hung up wet many times but provided YEARS of enjoyment.

When I outgrew that I was old enough to learn proper care of hunting tools and have since babied my bows and guns so I can't say as they have been put to an adequate test for being the most indestructible bow made.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Biggie's old Quillian Longhunter
I've heard stories of them being run over by trucks with hardly a scratch. I dry fired my 70# one once on accident, still a good shooter. I would also say Hill bows are built to last.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I am like Steve I take really good care of my bows. That said I am willing to bet my Tomahawks could take anything you want to throw at them.
James Kerr

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Now this is gonna raise some eyebrows, as Mr. Morrison's bows are usually treated a little nicer, but my three piece Shawnee is tough.

It has skidded and tumbled downhill, been used as a walking stick, and has seen every kind of nasty cold weather for days on end.

Now, when i had the limbs made i specifically requested the most durable, plain jane ones possible and they aren't show stoppers.But man, what a bow for the kind of hunting i do.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Wes Wallace mentor,  it has lived thur my handlleing,  that's saying something.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
My Black  Widow SA II . Dropped it from a tree stand, turned it inside out while stringing it, hunted with it for 15 years.
mine is a MA, dropped it 20 feet onto the bottom limb, bounced back about 10, turned it inside out while shooting, (limb hit a root in the shot).
still preforms as always.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
My Black Widow TFV Ironwood has battle scars all around the grip... Saved me from wrist damage during a fall into the wet rocks at a 3D shoot... I didn't let go of the bow and it kept me in one piece!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Pronghorns for me.  Real tough. IMO.
I am extra cautios with all my bows. But sometimes hunting. The unforeseen happens. Dropping, banging against stuff etc. the occasional walking stick. Lol
There's lots of bows I own that I almost fear taking in the mountains cause they are so "pretty" I don't want them getting hurt. Pronghorn. Tough as nails.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
I can build a super tough bow. Heavy glass, lot of phenolic. big phenolic tips. bomb proof tips. ect. No one would buy it. They would say that is a clunky bow and its slow as molasses. (Grin)

that said I'm sure that every good bowyer trys his best to build his bows to last.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Bamboo Long hunter and 21 century new moon.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Big 5
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©