3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toughest Bow You Have Owned?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toughest Bow You Have Owned?
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
My Widow PSA-V ironwood. I always tell my friends that if i run out of arrows i can always beat the hog to death with my bow.   :saywhat:

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking and believe me its taken a licking over the years.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I dropped my Black Widow PSA 11 from a tree stand and watched it bounce down the side of the hill. It had a couple of dents and scratches from this incident and then last March I was shooting it in a tourney and had a nock explode in my face. The bow went flying again. Looked the bow over and went back to shooting and I am still shooting this bow although I plan on sending it back to the Widow boys and have them do a refinish. I think that is the least I can do for such a bow.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Hoyt Buffalo. Whacked the limbs twice on tree limbs 3-D shooting. Whacked the lower limb on ladder stand while shooting. Thrown into the back of a packed pick up this year and it got scratched up a little. It's the only bow I've ever owned I don't baby or worry about. The rest of mine are pampered primadonnas.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
BW PSA V
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Had my Toyota pickup run tip to tip over my Zipper .Of course it was laying in soft soil but still

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
The finish on my Toelke Whip seems "harder" than some.  I baby this bow less than others simply because it seems like it can handle it.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Toughest i ever owned was an Abbott longbow. Having leaned it against the tailgate of my truck and forgetting it was there, i put my Super cab, full length bed, 4 wheel drive truck in reverse and backed over it with the front and rear wheels, passenger side. Realizing to late what i had done, i picked it up out of its resting spot, in the bow shaped depression that it left in the barn lot, wiped off the dirt, gave it a close exam and then shot it, she was good as new with just one small scratch.
Abbotts are TOUGH!!!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I had a Don Dow that could take anything I could dish out without even a scratch.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
A pronghorn I bought from Tippit. Love that bow.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
'90 or '91 MAIII......turned it wrong side out when I threw it to shore (read "rocks") when our boat almost capsized on a Caribou hunt in Quebec. Let a guy shoot it on the local indoor range and to say he used a loose grip would be an understatement. Bow flew about 3' in front of him on the concrete floor, again it strung itself backwards. Just kept on shooting!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Dan Quillian Bamboo Longhunter. I have dropped it out of trees, one time on the end and popped the string completely off. It has been dropped on pavement and has bumped many trees and rocks, but it is still in good shape and ready to go. Even accidentally dry fired it once due to a cracked nock.
Sam

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Martin ML-14 longbow. Man, that thing is a tank (Shoots like a tank, also).
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Definitely would have to be my favorite Widow MAIII. I've don't have a lot of experience with other bows because I've pretty much shot only Widows for close to 4 decades but no doubt about it - one in particular, a 93 MAIII has been used, abused and beat up so many times, yet, it still shoots like it was brand new. So many great memories with that bow.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Pronghorn
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Quote "An old Bear Montana, you did not need a haul rope to a tree stand you could just throw it down."
Personally I can't imagine a better image that the old Fred Bear video showing him using a "glass bear bow' as a wading stick crossing the river then throwing it up on the bank! PERIOD. Yeap it was marketing for sure but man what a great video!

As a side note man you dudes are tough running over your bows with vehichles and such. I've personally never done that but I do use them and they show there battle scars.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Quarbon Nano
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
This TallTines is only a few years old, but it has been thru an awful lot.  This Alaska hunt broke my partners bow, just from all the rain! Brian builds his bows to hunt anywhere no matter what and that bow goes with me on every trip I take either as #1 or a backup...I know no matter what, it will do the job.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Toughest i ever had was one of those solid fiberglass recurves as a kid.It went everywhere i did.Was used as a bow, a machette to get through the jungle, pole vault stick,smack my sister stick,,and one day my brother and i was in the yard seeing who could shoot an arrow straight uo and make it disapear.The arrow came back down and hit the roof of the house with a thud as it burryied in the shingles.My dad heard it and came out very much mad and sent us on the roof with a bucket of roofin tar and two boards to repair the hole.My bigger brother being his usual bully self kept waving his stick in my face saying he was gunna tarm my face.Well i have a nuff of that so i hauled off and smacked him across the face with my own board complet with a big tar ball on the end.It knocked him flat and i figured i better be gone fast before he came to so i ran my barefoot self across the roof and jumped off,,,right on the concrete patio ,,,I was laying on the ground moaning when mom came out to see what all the racket was,,,my feet were both swelled so bad i missed school for a week before i could get a pair of shoes on again.Never saw the bow again,,dont know if my brother threw it away,,if dad got it because we shot the roof or if mom hid it so i wouldnt finish of my brother on account of him causin my feet to get ingered,lol.Anyway,,it was a tough ol bow from tough ol times,lol.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
I can build a super tough bow. Heavy glass, lot of phenolic. big phenolic tips. bomb proof tips. ect. No one would buy it. They would say that is a clunky bow and its slow as molasses. (Grin)

that said I'm sure that every good bowyer trys his best to build his bows to last.

God bless you all, Steve
My first bow, and the only one that's been mistreated was a Christmas present somewhere around 1953 - 54.

A no-name solid fiberglass bow 45# with hard rubber grip - dual grip if I remember correctly. As Steve said, it was slow, downright primitive, but took everything a teenaged bow fisherman could dish out. It got banged around in the bottom of a boat, dropped on a few rocks and never had any arrows tuned to it. I shot what I had on hand. Some pretty light woody field arrows and anchor heavy fiberglass fish arrows.

Like others, I've learned to take better care of my bows but I also use them less. That old beater got sold on the big auction site just a couple of years ago. Should have kept it for nostalgia reasons, but ran out of room.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
My 72 Kodiak Hunter survived my High school and college years
My 94 BW MA III did some tough duty for 12 years and always performed. It was bullet proof.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©