3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scent Control... how far do you go?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline bow_man_66

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scent Control... how far do you go?
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I try to control my sent as much as possible without breaking the bank. I buy sent free soap/shampoo at the end of the year at marked down pricing. Same with the spray on sent killer stuff. I do not believe it makes me scent less but do believe it helps. Wash my clothes in sent free soap at beginning of the season and store in a fairly air tight tote only dressing in the field. One odd thing I have used for years is a deodorant salt rock. I found it years ago in a health store and thought I would try it. Kills bacteria which is what gives you body odor. That is the one thing I swear by, has worked for me for years. Can't cover it all but try to eliminate what I can and play the wind the best I can.
May your arrow always fly true and your hunt be an adventure.

Shoot Straight,

Bow_man66

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Scent control is a must when you are going after mature animals the first hint of a human scent and its over.But sometimes they walk downwind of me and they dont react.But 98% of the time it is over.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
After field and stream published a articale that proved all scent control meathods had zero effect on trailing dogs I quite stressing it about deer other than trying to play the wind.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
What Ryan said. Only problem where I hunt you can seldom figure out where the deer will come from. But certain areas can only be hunted with certain wind direction for sure. I figure my breath smells worse than my body anyway. Kinda hard to hold it for 4 hours!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Thinking about that articale the authors thought that  scent killing sprays and carbon suits would have at least slowed the dogs a bit from picking up the trail but it didn't as a matter of fact they said the intentionaly smelly subjuct did just as well as the subject using the best scent control products we have.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
If it's good enough for Mr. Rothhaar its good enough for me - plain plaid wool and play they wind.  And to be honest, I don't have enough ambition to go through all the scent control rigamarole every time I go out - easier to throw some milk weed silk in the air and see where it floats.
I 2nd this!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Bighornangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
I am with those who say that playing the wind is the only thing that really works, however taking precautions such as keeping clean (you and your clothes) will help. On the issue of wearing rubber boots, I beleive this will also help, BUT I have watched deer follow my footsteps with their nose to the ground right up to my tree stand and I was wearing rubber boots. I have picked up my boots and and smelled them. What do I smell. I smell the smell of rubber. If I can smell them than the deer certainly can. Has anyone else besides me experienced this?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
They'll smell your breath before they smell your clothes. I like to eat an apple as a snack. Gives me apple breath and the core is now an attractant. I just wedge it in a branch.
That said, the more pressured the deer, the easier they spook. I hate it when I see the TV hunter saying "I could've never gotten this monster buck if I wasn't wearing my scent free suit and spraying myself with my magic scent killing spray." That's a bunch of hooey.
I am a believer in attractant scents, but I've also seen does blow out of there as soon as they smell doe in heat lure. That's another subject.

You have to hunt the wind, no matter what you wear, use or do. That is an undeniable fact.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Knawbone made the comment that the proof was on his wall by using scent control and wind. Just one thought about success. Wonder if those old has beens had any success without the gadgets/scent blockers. Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Glenn St.Charles, Wenzels, the list goes on a lot farther. Maybe they just worked more on hunting skills and not so much on getting ahead with products.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I camp in the woods, end up smelling bad and stay downwind. End of story!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
I don't know what a deer smells and what it doesn't or why sometimes they seem to react one way and next time the opposite.

I've hunted in hot, wet, sweaty, stinking,  tennis shoes and had deer walk all over my fresh tracks and pay no attention what so ever and had them cross my back trail when I was wearing knee high, rubber boots, blow and run off in the other direction.

I've used a lot of cover scents over the yrs..but never found a way of knowing if they worked or not..so just decided I could find more meaningful ways to waste my money.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I agree playing the wind is the single most important thing you can do to keep from getting smelled. I also think there are many contributing factors which enter the equation when it comes to trying to limit your scent. Like I said before, you ask any canine trapper how important scent control is. Some of you may even trap fox or coyote, can you or do you not use some of the same messures while hunting deer? I used to trap, so I use some of those woods crafts when I hunt. To me it only makes scents.{ pardon the pun }Scent control is not a substitute for hard hunting and figuring out quarry and never will be. Just another trick in the hunters bag.

When done properly and I mean PROPERLY limiting your scent can give you a chance { at times }that you my not otherwise of had. Believe me if it didn't I wouldn't bother. To me I would be a fool not to.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Trad Beagle, No maybe about it they did. And if I had the time and resources they had to hunt I probably wouldn't take the precautions I do.And its' not a matter of trying to shortcut or get ahead of the game. If that were the case I probably wouldn't be a tradional bowhunter in the first place.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Well, this turned out to be a lively topic.  One this is certain...  100% of us agree that you have to play the wind and none of us believe in the hyped products that make ridiculous claims.   Beyond this it seems like there is a variety of approaches.  
All the big name hunters on TV who talk about using the scent control products... well, we all know it's all about advertising dollars.  I would love to know about the Wensel brothers or Mike Mitten.  Any body know if these guys do anything beyond playing the wind?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Don't stand downwind of the Wensel boys!!   :scared:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I have had better luck using a cover scent like fresh earth then trying to eliminate human odor. I have washed and stored clothing in scent lock bags, showered before a hunt etc. and still got busted when the animals came in down wind. As long as you are alive and well your body makes odor regardless of what you wear or wash with. I think the use of a good cover scent mixes with your scent and gives the animal a feeling that you are farther away then you really are.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Running Buck, They think your further away than you really are. Your dead on, agree with you 100%. Ground and air moisture makes a big difference also.Hunting dogs have a harder time picking up scent when the ground is dry, so too with deer ect.I do believe what close you wear, or lack off can make a difference also.It's not good to sweat,or for that matter to even get too warm if you can avoid it. It all adds up to the AMOUNT of scent you put out.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Try not to light a cigarette during the last 40 minutes of shooting light on the stand is as far as I go. Not because they will smell it but because I want the bow in my hands during that time. Down wind is down wind. Deer can smell where I walked in rubber boots two hours ago - you can't fool their noses.

Offline STUMP THUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I want all the help I can get. I try to stay clean and do use scent free soap on my body and my camo and under garments. Play the wind is the biggest factor.
As far as the successful hunters of the past there soap didn't have anywhere near the purty smelling stuff of our modern soaps, shampoos and laundry detergents, that we all have to have to smeel good in todays society.If we used now the same products they used back then we wouldn't need the new marketed stuff either.
guest my thoughts!

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Don't stand downwind of the Wensel boys!!    :scared:  
That's funny!     :laughing:

Ok Charlie, besides staying upwind of the Wensels, what is your approach to scent control?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©