3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nocks Too Tight  (Read 339 times)

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
Nocks Too Tight
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
What kind of arrow flight problems are caused by nocks being too tight on the string?  I've recently gotten new strings for a couple of bows and am having a problem resizing nocks to fit the various strings well.

Is it better to reserve the strings or heat the nocks and make the adjustments?

Thanks for your help.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nocks Too Tight
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I would not heat the nocks. If they fit a bit tight, use a very small rat-tail file or sandpaper on them.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
I fold a piece of sandpaper over a toothpick and work the notch fit that way.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
I prefer heating the mocks in hot water and resizing. I have never had any problems with this method thus far and would rather maintain as much material as possible per design.

Just my way.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I heat em up too. Never had no problems.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
No need to heat anything. Take a piece of 75-100 grit sandpaper, fold it over, and run it back and forth between the nock. Keep checking for a good fit. It won't take much.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Well I'm with Ricky Rich and Briajumper on this one.  Just heat the water to boiling then stick the nock in for 5-10 seconds and try it, if still too tight dip again for 15-20 seconds.  That oughtta be plenty.  Quick easy fix.   :thumbsup:

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Reserve the string if you have the ability. Nocks are "precision" components, any modification potentially weakens the nocks. To me, the risk of blowing a nock and having essentially a dry fire from a modified nock is not worth it. I have too much money invested in these bows to risk damaging them over a few minutes of serving. Seen it happen on all types of bows when people modify their nocks. Just my $.02

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info on how to adjust the nock size, but "What kind of arrow flight problems are caused by nocks being too tight on the string?"
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
It's so much easier to reserve one string than to mess with all those nocks.  Plus no worries about weakened or misaligned nocks.

My experience with nocks being too tight was erratic arrow flight; simple as that.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
My arrows will hit to the left when my nocks are too tight, and have a cork-screw flight on the way to the target. I guess that I'm losing speed or hitting the riser with my arrows. I use the hot water trick, never had a nock failure.
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by NothingHappenedToday:
My arrows will hit to the left when my nocks are too tight, and have a cork-screw flight on the way to the target. I guess that I'm losing speed or hitting the riser with my arrows. I use the hot water trick, never had a nock failure.
Same here, plus the shot will usually be a little noisier.

Boiling the nocks to adjust them for fit "WILL NOT" harm them in any way, shape form or fashion, and will get you the exact fit you want.

Filing, or sanding them removes material, and   "DOES WEAKEN" them.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I heat my nocks in my morning coffee and use the tip of a bread knife to re-size them. No, this doesn't harm my coffee at all.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Forgot to add: when my nocks are too tight, it wears out the serving on my string faster.
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I use a few passes from an emory board. No problems yet.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I've posted this before, but here goes again. I blew up the only Lost Creek recurve I've ever seen. The left side of the nock sheared off clean. I believe it was one I filed out to fit. Maybe got a square corner at the bottom of the nock valley?

That cured me.

I had a mix of nocks on my Carbon Express and Golt Tip arrows. I found the GT nocks fit my servings exactly and were a good snug fit in the CE arrows. Replaced all my nocks with GT's and now when I order a new string, I have it served to fit that nock.

I sleep better now.

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Strings (and arrows) oscillate quite a bit during the shot so a tight-fitting nock can't be good for arrow flight.  Over the years I've used both heat (boiling water) and sanding (files, sandpaper or emery boards) to custom-fit nocks.  For me, careful/even sanding has proven to be MUCH more reliable, with less chance of weakening the plastic than heating provides.  I no longer use heat unless I'm simply trying to remove a broken nock without damaging the shaft.  Good question, though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©