3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Go Pro camera  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
Go Pro camera
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »
Any of you guys into taking video of your hunts?Got my Go Pro white edition and got the tripod mount from GO Pro.Then I found a bow mount made for compounds but it clamps great on my JD Berry Vixen.Havent shot with it yet,need to stuff my bag and Ill let you know how it goes Aloha.
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Go Pro camera
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
I've used a little Sony cam on a few of my hunts, with a swing out arm mounted to the tree.  It works ok, but with both hands needed for the bow, it's often hard make sure the camera is in the right position to capture the action (misses, in my case).   :o  

A friend of mine uses a bow mounted camera, but the shock of actually shooting makes the footage real jumpy (but he's still using a training wheels bow).  He also has to remember to try to keep pointing the bow at the animal after the shot.

Let me know how it works out for you!

Kingsnake

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
I put one on my DALAA for snowshoe hare hunting with my old beagle.  You can't see very far with that wide-angle lens but I am trying to get some footage of my little girl hunting before she passes on so I will be able to go back and remember the good times with her.
Mike

Offline MartinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
Here's a short vid of me shooting when I just got my GOPRO earlier this year. Using the head mount rig.

http://s231.beta.photobucket.com/user/MARTINDADO/media/GOPR0005_zps849b5971.mp4.html

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
So that’s what it looks like when shooting right handed.

I thought about getting one of these cameras. I think they would be a gas to have when doing spot and stalk hog hunting. It would really put the viewer in the driving seat.

Martin, did you have the camera pointing forward on your head or angled to the left a little?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline MartinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Gatekeeper, I had the camera over my left eye. Thru trial and error I found the right spot for a more or less centered frameup.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
A deployed friend of mine uses one.  He seems to like it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Martindado is that a Saluki in your photobucket?Nice buck and good shootin
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Mike S, Just want to say God Bless you and your family for what your going thru,My prayers are with you all
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline MartinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Lonala,yes I own a Saluki. Great bow.

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
Lonala,
She's still with me, but she can't hunt for more than an hour or so without getting too sore and wore out.  It is hard to see her getting older, but then again I ain't what I once was!  LOL.  I gotta look around for a new pup this spring.  I can't wait to smell that "puppy breath!"
Mike

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
I like my GoPro.  You can change the settings in order to not make it  as wide.  Good for trad bow ranges, but images get small past 20 yards.  It worked great this year inside a turkey blind as I got to vid a buddy of mine missing twice.  Gives a different perspective.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
Waiting for my LCD backpack t o arrive  so I can turn it on and off without using wifi and my I phone.what setting would be good for trad hunting ranges?
 I hope to get a saluki soon..Aloha
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
When Mr Gregg dudley get a minute he may chime in. He's used one on his widow I believe.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
I've studied the GoPro pretty closely, but have thus far not purchsed one. I've also concluded that it's not very well suited to capturing bow shots on game beyond very close ranges. What they seem to do extremely well is (of course) close-up video work, and I think they're darned good a capturing a pov (point of view) video during active pursuits. I'm talking about hiking, running, boating, swimming, fishing, surf play and just interacting with others. I'd love to have one while hunting in Alaska, as I think it would be great for videoing camp life, hiking/stalking, wading rivers, flying in the Super Cub, and maybe big animals up close such as moose or caribou. Conversely, I suspect I'd almost never use it for anything deer hunting, except possibly the recovery.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
As Izzy said, I have played with one that I mounted on the bowfishing buoy adapter that muzzy sells.  The adapter screws into the accessory/stabilizer hole.

Long story short...it's not what it is made for.

Kayaking fishing, zip lining, surfing, other forms of close in first person adventure... That's where a go pro shines.

A couple of hunting shows are using go pros for the shot of the shooter/bow/second angle during a shot sequence.  It is a cool effect.  It is a fun thing to play with for sure, but it is not a great choice for detail work beyond ten or twelve yards.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »
Thanks for your input guys .I will play with it anyway I like to shoot my game close hogs at ten yards is awesome.Have a great Christmas and Blessings to all
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Ten yard hogs on the ground would be cool.  Mount the camera on YOU instead of the bow unless you want to see some vibration.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Anyone sync up your hero3 with Iphone. I'm having a little trouble doing it. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I posted this last year. Had the GoPro mounted on my chest for the first part of this, then set it on a tripod for the last part. I plan on taking it on a spring bear hunt later this year. It is a great little camera, and the quality is very good for such a tiny unit.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©