3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Go Pro camera  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Go Pro camera
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
i received a Hero3 Black Edition for Christmas, and I'm just in the getting-acquainted stages. I still don't believe this camera is well suited to capturing video of arrows in flight toward game beyond 10 yards. The detail is amazing...it's the magnification which is lacking. I have no real plans to use it to capture a bow shot, but it will be outstanding at capturing general action, scenes and movement. It will definitely accompany me on future hunting adventures, except for local whitetails.

I just had it mounted inside my truck for a couple days during which we had a significant snowfall. I shot several video segments while driving around in all the fresh snow...and it really impressed me. I definitely need to take it on future trips to Alaska, Hawaii and Montana....Arizona too!

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I've been working on a backcountry stickbow DVD the past couple of years. Here is a screen shot from a buck I shot in Colorado this year. I had it set on wide angle, so it really fish-eyes the subject. Next time I'll make sure the setting is different.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
I've been working on a backcountry stickbow DVD the past couple of years. Here is a screen shot from a buck I shot in Colorado this year. I had it set on wide angle, so it really fish-eyes the subject. Next time I'll make sure the setting is different.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Bivyhunter, thats still a cool pic with the shadow of the recurve on the rock.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
I have a ContourROAM (competitor to the Go Pro HD) and it too suffers from needing the focal point of the video to be at close range; just not great at capturing small subjects beyond the 10 yard range.  It too doesn't have a zoom option.  Very easy on/off slider though (in fact, a bit too easy as sometimes it gets turned on inside my pack by accident, draining the battery, heh).
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
I have begun experimenting with the video settings on my H3. The 1080p x 48fps x 'medium' (angle) produced a very nice video image under motion. It would be much easier to see game or follow an arrow (again, short range) on the medium angle setting. I'm next going to try the same resolution & speed settings but with a narrow angle. I suspect this might be the setting most useful for detail beyond 10-15 yards.

I'm decidedly not a video junkie, but I really enjoy the 'take me along with you' video footage so often missing in videos. Many focus on the animals or the shot/kill...but they are missing so much good stuff. The GoPro just might solve that for me.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
That looks awesome South ! Cant wait for the DVD to come out !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
I have a Contour POV camera and also went through the whole process of finding the best place to mount it. Anywhere that captures the shot without vibration of the shot (attached to my body rather than the bow) wasn't good for consistent viewing of the animal. Attached to the bow was good but really suffered at shot time. I ended up building a plate on top of my armguard so the camera is on my forearm looking down the arrow. Seems to work alright!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Here's a pic of mine. Due to the camera angle, the Contour looks huge in this pic but is actually a very small camera

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
    Here it is in action. Rattled this little buck in but passed on the shot. Hope I can post this as it gives a good idea of what footage from an arm mount looks like. Click on the pic!

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Very cool footage and a great idea ! I'd like to see how it works at the shot also.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
It does vibrate at the shot...less than on the bow, but more than on the head or chest!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Ryan that looked good to me. I'm not looking for academy awards  :)  

You owned that buck!!

My wife bought me a GoPro Black for Christmas. I haven’t had a chance to use it outdoors yet but I've got the Wifi working so I can use the remote or my Droid to change settings and view subjects through on a bigger screen. I can't wait to try it out on a hunt!!!

I know that distance is an issue but most of my shots are inside 20 yards and with the Wifi the camera could be setup over a window between me and the shot and turned on with a remote. I am going to experiment and may end up with more than one for angles....  New toy!!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Doeslayer_67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I have a GoPro hero 2. I mounted it to the side of my bow. Wasnt happy with the noise or the fact that I drop my bow after the shot. I now use the headstrap like MartinD.Great video but you do lose some quality at further distances. what I like is that you can video POV,Wide angle< and 720 slow motion. The slow motion is really cool when you shoot lighted nocks when it starts to get dark. If you have any other questions IM me. Victor

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
How is the contour with longer distances? and did you have to make the mount for your arm or did you buy it?
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
I think the newer Contour may have a zoom or magnification? Not sure though? I made the mount out of a plastic cutting board and attached it to the armguard with zip ties. The armguard straps go around the arm and attach to the other side of the plastic plate.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
This   might help!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Neat thanks for the extra pic.  I am looking for an inexpensive camera to just play around with hunting and fishing.  Nothing professional.  I just don't know what to get yet.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this lately. This thread is very enlightening!  I've been using a miniture Sony HD camera with the fold-out viewing screens. It is more fragile (I suppose) than the GoPro. To date though I haven't captured a shot because I've always been photographing a different shooting lane than the one the deer is in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©