3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Slide On Or Strap On?  (Read 396 times)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Slide On Or Strap On?
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
Talking about bow quivers, by the way.  Does a strap on have anything over a slide on?  

Right now I run a strap on on my Great Plains recurve. I got no problems with it except that it occassionally will try to slide up the limbs if I don't get the straps tight enough. (I have to switch this quiver between two diffrent bows)

I need another quiver to go on my longbow, but I wanted to hear what other people thought about the two types. Pros and cons and what not.

Thanks!

Cam

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Slide On Or Strap On?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I like my Qwikee Quiver, so I can take it off when I get in me treestand! Stillhunting, I use a hip quiver, just don't like the added weight on me bow when shooting.
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
I don't see how slide-ons remain viable on the market. Having to remove the string from your bow to put on or off just doesn't measure-up, compared to the strap-ons, which go on or off in seconds, which is Very Handy when sitting on stand. I've used 'em for years and never had one slide, on a variety of recurves and longbows. Check out the Thunderhorn website for thier new version, which has a simpler, faster, and firmer strap-on attachment, with an optional bar between top and bottom to keep things aligned. Also, their leatherwork is art, each one individual (you can make custom requests), for about the same price you'd pay for others. dave

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Hey dave,

The onlyest (is that a word?) reason I like my slide-on is because I don't take it off!   :)
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
I use a strap-on Boa and really like it because it can be used on any of my bows(LB or RC). It does ocasionally slip up the upper limb but it takes about 1 minute to re-adjust. It also seems to act kinda like limbsavers and quieten the bow some.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
Slide on can be a problem if the limb profile does not match up with the hole in the quiver. I have used the both the Selway and Great Northern strap on. The strap on is a perfect fit every time.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Here is some good advise that may really "pi$$" people off. I learned this lesson the HARD way, MANY years ago in my "compound days"

A bowquiver is meant to be "ON" the bow. You do not take a bow quiver on and off as you are hunting. A bowquiver will effect your arrow flight,how much you notice it will depend on your shooting "style". A bowquiver will influance the spine of your arrows,It's not uncommon to have to drop 5#-10# in spine to get good arrow flight.

If you "carry" your arrows in a bowquiver and then take it off when you get to your stand,then you put it on when you walk out for lunch,or when you change stands because the wind shifted,or when you get up to stillhunt because your tired of sitting.

You should really use a backquiver or hipquiver etc.

BECAUSE.....one of these days.....your going to run into a "Trophy Of A Lifetime" and when you take a shot.....(and DON'T even try and tell us you won't) If your "lucky" you will miss,If not.....

I don't like bowquivers, (I prefer my backquiver) but I do use them. They are all Selway soft-kote slip-on quivers. I put them on with warm VERY soapy water,and then hang the bow horizontal to dry overnight. The next morning,the quiver is just about "glued-on"!!!!! It doesn't move,It doesn't vibrate,and it is more secure than any strap-on quiver will ever be.

Dave2old.....You said "I don't see how slide-ns remain viable on the market.Having to remove the string from your bow to put on or off just doesn't measure up"

The reason is this My Friend.....

The people who use the slip-on bowquivers (like Curt "Guru" Cabrera) realize that a bowquiver it a "permanant" accessory to your bow. and that a slip-on bowquiver is the best way to install a bowquiver without "altering" the bow.(i.e. screws,accessory bushings,etc.)

Just a view from the "other side".....and one Old Fart's opinion   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Hey Chuck! You ain't that old yet buddy!  :D

... mike ... Who digs his slide on Selway that never comes off his bow... Ever.
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
HEY THERE MIKE!!!!! Are Ya Gettin' Ready?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I have got to get some good sleep. I hate to admite this but when I saw the title of this post my mind went to a bad place for a second. To my slight credit it was only for a second BUT it DID go there in the first place so I am ashamed of myself. But it is funny though huh?
 :bigsmyl:    :o
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
I have a Selway quick detach slide on quiver, and it slips all the time. It'll hold a day or two, but every time I go to shoot, I have to readjust it. The leather cap always twists also... which is kind of frustrating. I do love having a bow quiver though. I traded a very nice back quiver for the Selway, and even with it's little quirks, I'm still glad that I switched.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
german ridge
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
I had a selway for years and loved it. Then I decided I disn't want a bow quiver on my one piece longbows and so I sold it. I had a replacement for the foam, put it in and put it on trade blanket and got more for it than I paid for it(the price had gone up $20 in the 5 years I had it). One thing to keep in mind with a slide on. If the bow has osage limbs or some other photo-reactive wood the Slide on will give your bow tan lines.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Anyone know Thunderhorns web address?

Thanks.

John

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
for what it is worth bow quivers are a pain in the butt. but each to there own i like back quivers and side quivers plus you dont have any  weight on ya bow plus ya can carry a lot of arrows if ya want.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I agree with Chuck, But I prefer a hip quiver cuz I dont like to alter my hill in any way, I finally have it shootin like it should!   :jumper:  Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©