3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Useing alloy footing to adjust dynamic spine of carbon shafts  (Read 226 times)

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
Useing alloy footing to adjust dynamic spine of carbon shafts
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Iv been playing around with the stu miller calculator with different length of alloy footing to change the dynamic spine of my carbon shafts and I was just wondering if any one has done this before. The main reason I want to do this is I want my arrows to be a set length and weight so I don't want to drop point weight or shorten the shaft to increase the dynamic spine but by putting 6" of alloy footing on the carbon shaft I can dubble the dynamic spine of the arrows I already have with out having to buy new arrows
Thanks in advance for any input
Cheers jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Useing alloy footing to adjust dynamic spine of carbon shafts
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Sounds like over kill to me. I know you don't want to buy new arrows but I have found that what works for me is getting the shaft that works best without footing and then add  just one inch of footing so the spine is not affected at all. If you find a correct length that gives you the stiffness you need I would try to use some sort of internal footing (a hardwood dowel) to arrive at the same outcome.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
I have found that it doesn't work. I have added up to 5" of footing. The arrow acted like I just added weight to tip, making the dynamic spine weaker. YMMV.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
The internal or external support (footing) lowers the dynamic spine unless it is long enough to stiffen the Arrow's ability to bend. I could increase spine with an internal carbon shaft that extended just past the halfway point of the arrow (front half, so 16" or more). Short pieces only added weight up front and lowered the dynamic spine. - Jay
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
I have tried it and did get the results i wanted but it created a small "bump" in feel and  arrow movement as i drew the arrow and the back lip of the footing came across the shelf. This was a distraction to me so off they came.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Rick, try (if your arrow will allow) putting an internal piece in, gluing it with gorilla glue. No bump. - Jay
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Wouldn't adding internal or external footing over six inches(depending on arrow length) cause the arrow to bend(paradox) at the last 3/4's of the arrow only, causing unstable arrow flight. And wouldnt that create a weak point during paradox at the end or the footing(internal or external)? Just asking
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Timothy, it doesn't seem to, once you get past the center of the arrow. I did the work to build the arrows with an internal shaft full-length, got those to fly bare-shaft perfect. This was to get a very heavy arrow (over 1,000 grains) for my 80# bow. Then, to achieve Extreme FOC, I began to cut down the full internal shaft to 3/4, then 2/3, finally ending just about 3/5. For each of these arrow types, I was able to achieve perfect bare shaft flight. I think that once you "fix" the center of the shaft, where the natural inclination of archer's paradox is to concentrate the force, you achieve an increase in relative (and actual, as I measured it) spine. This whole project, done for one buffalo hunt, took nearly a year. The arrows flew perfectly, and my wife and I each took water buff with longbows in Australia. - Jay

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©