3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for a Puppy  (Read 929 times)

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for a Puppy
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Ed, here's a few pix of Blue, our BMC.  He just turned a year old last week and is already bigger than the breeder told us he'd be, probably 100lbs by end of next year.  Has a heck of a nose but I didn't get much time to work him this year with the job being busy.  Looked at Moutain Curs also.  They should finish out about half of Blue and also have a good nose.  Both breeds are smart.  
We're heading down your way for a few days next week if you have questions.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Jim Schaafsma of ArrowFive Outfitters in California has developed an incredible breed of dogs specifically for trailing wounded deer.  They are a small terrier mix.  Very friendly, active dogs that have trailed deer as far as is needed.  If they don't find the deer, it isn't going to be found.

You would really be remiss in your search if you didn't at least talk with Jim.  

Since the dog is only trailing the deer, and not dragging it to the ground, a small dog works great, and eats a lot less!

That said, I have an airedale that is extremely smart and friendly, and loves to hunt about anything, and wth very little training does a fair job at trailing deer.  He'll retrieve ducks, hunt pheasants and grouse, roust out rabbits, kill coons, possums, skunks, and porcupines, and trail deer - then sleeps about 20 hours a day (though he's getting old now).  A great thing about airedales is they hardly shed - most of the other breeds, especially the terriers, leave hair everyplace they go.
Dan Brockman

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
This is some great input!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Another vote for the drahthaars.  I live in the city and both mine are house dogs with great manners and hunt anything I'll let them.  Best dogs I've ever been around.
justin ammons

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Drahthaars have really gotten my attention!!

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
I did my own research over the last couple of months and have a deposit down on a drahthaar puppy.  Been reading a ton and I should be getting the puppy around April first if the breeding goes well.   Good luck in your search!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Ed,

One thing in favor of a Drahthaar is their breeding controls. A true Drahthaar can only be registered in Germany, and the document is called an 'ahnentafel'. Each of my drahts has their own ahnentafel which thoroughly documents their bloodline. DDs cannot be bred to produce a litter of register-able puppies until the parents have both passed a number of tests. These tests guarantee that only proven hunting dogs can be bred together, and is an assurance that every litter of true DD puppies will be full of outstanding hunting dogs with great appearances. They have an extremely low incidence of inheritable diseases and conditions. Their love of humans is bred into them, as it's part of the dog's essential qualities for hunting/handling. You will never find a true Drahthaar which has been bred simply for it's appearances or as a profit-maker.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Those Drahthaar's are hunters for sure.  They dont care what either.

Drahthaar,Patterdales and Jagds all have tremendous prey drive. The Patterdales and Jagds dont know they are small and can get into trouble in a hurry! They have ZERO fear, I mean none! They want to hunt EVERYDAY.

I have 7 Patterdales. Ive picked 2 to work on blood trails for now.  The oldest of the 2 is barely a year old.  I guarantee if we came upon a live wounded deer he would anchor that sucker till you figured out your next move.

Goodluck Ed its a journey and an adventure.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
My 2 pennies.
I have a single solitary experience with a bloodhound.  I written on threads here before about them and the former statements are true.  Big strong dog that can pull You arround like a rag doll.  But mine was a real treat. And. Oh she could find them.

They are able to travel long distances easily and quickly. Good to know if it escapes from your yard.
Divide first the size of dog you want, then the breed.
Good luck. And I have been with a friend that uses his wife's poodle....... It works too!
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
My father has a tracking service for downed deer in Michigan and uses a wire haired dachshund. Blood hounds are named that because of their pure bloodline not because they track blood. If you get one you will find you bought a nose with a dog attached.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Here is a picture of my  Braque.  She is a great upland hunter.  Very good on woodcock, grouse and pheasants.  This is a pic of her pointing a woodcock.  She has also tracked a deer for me and did fine but that really isn't her strong suit.  We love her to death.  Not as versatile as a Draht but another option.  

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Kevin, I really like the strict control of the breeding in the Drahthaar. I have been doing some research and there are a couple highly respected breeders right here in PA and with in an hours ride. Man this is getting me pumped for a new addition to the family.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I went through the process of trying to figure out what breed I would like earlier this year.  Blood trailing was of course a consideration, but not the overriding factor.  Really looked hard at the teckels and the Drahthaars, and I know I would have loved either.  

But as others have mentioned, many different breeds will make very satisfactory blood trailers given proper training.  I ended up settling on a Boykin Spaniel, and I think it has turned out to be the absolute best choice for us. Perfect size, lovable, smart, and just an all around great dog.

Arlo is 9 months old right now.  I was able to get him on 6 blood trails this fall, and we found 5 of those.  The 6th he took for probably 1,200 yards before finally losing it.  The hunter was unsure of where he hit, so I really can't say what happened or if it was a deer that could have ever been found.  He is off to a great start as a trailer, and really loves working blood.  

If blood trailing is your sole purpose in owning a dog certainly concentrate on the very best of the breeds for that purpose.  But if you are looking at other factors as well and broaden your search be sure to take a look at the Boykins
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Ed,

Drahthaar breeders seem to 'cluster' to a degree, and PA does have some nice ones. I spoke to about 3 different guys there, but my first choice was Green. When he called and gave me #1 choice in his litter...I couldn't sleep that night!

You've heard a lot about high-energy dogs. Mine are literally rockets when I allow them to play. I was frankly intimidated at first as I saw how much exercise and attention my dogs required. I gained some confidence and enjoyed the fact that I had to get busy and work with them. There are more sedate dogs out there for sure, and I could probably love all of them.

I watched Steve's dog go from littermate to fully grown hunter...all on line...and she's a beauty!

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
For a REAL dog! The Jed

Dan Brockman

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I think my choice would be a Springer....

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Bear Heart, I could. Of have said that better. " nose with a dog attached".  Ours new what was going on all the time!   A truck stopped in front of our house once to talk on his cell.  She ran out , went over his tailgate grabbed a large sack of trash and bailed out!   That nose kept her in some trouble.  But that bawl she had was music.  Doubt I would ever have another.  But sure do miss her.

It looks like you are going another way Big Ed and that is probably wise.  But A Bassett hound we had was just as nosey and much shorter legs made him a slower dog.  He was actually the smallest  bassett I have ever seen.  He sang just as sweet but was hard headed.
Man I love dogs.  Good luck

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
i have a English Springer that does everything i want her to do. good all-round dog
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Bear Heart, I could. Of have said that better. " nose with a dog attached".  Ours new what was going on all the time!   A truck stopped in front of our house once to talk on his cell.  She ran out , went over his tailgate grabbed a large sack of trash and bailed out!   That nose kept her in some trouble.  But that bawl she had was music.  Doubt I would ever have another.  But sure do miss her.

It looks like you are going another way Big Ed and that is probably wise.  But A Bassett hound we had was just as nosey and much shorter legs made him a slower dog.  He was actually the smallest  bassett I have ever seen.  He sang just as sweet but was hard headed.
Man I love dogs.  Good luck

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
How bout an aussie reindog?lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©