3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight Tubes  (Read 397 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight Tubes
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Do the carbon weight tubes sold by 3Rivers change the spine of the arrow? I believe they claim it does not.

Re: Weight Tubes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I used them for a while and could not tell a difference. I got too frustrated with them though as every time my arrow would hit something hard, the nock would pop out. I just use heavy inserts and heavy points now.

Bisch

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I used them for a while and could not tell a difference. I got too frustrated with them though as every time my arrow would hit something hard, the nock would pop out. I just use heavy inserts and heavy points now.

Bisch
Same experience.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
I have not had spine problems either. To fix the jack hammering effect on the nocks i put some shoe goo on the last three or four inches of the tube before sliding it in all the way. It is elastic enough that it gives stuff like super glue does not work because it has no give. Have done lots of experimenting with the tubes:-)  fmj also work really well w/ heavy brass insert and point. You almost cant get those shafts to fly badly. Good luck!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
I have fixed quite a few flight issues for friends by having them take those worthless tubes out of their arrows.  I tried them years ago and did not like what I saw.  I have had much better results increasing arrow weight in the front only with brass or steel inserts and/or adapters.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
I have fixed quite a few flight issues for friends by having them take those worthless tubes out of their arrows.  I tried them years ago and did not like what I saw.  I have had much better results increasing arrow weight in the front only with brass or steel inserts and/or adapters.
What he said x 2! I hate those tubes and yes, my experience, they do change the spine of the arrow in flight.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
I've got some weight tubed arrows and I believe that it does affect the spine of the arrow. How can anything that bears on the inside if the shaft not cause an alteration in flex and recovery? The jack hammer effect is quite a nuisance. I've been hit by nocks and had them fly behind me at up to fifteen yards. I like tapered shafts and weight up front.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
They make the arrow act weaker, not by much but a little bit, enough to mess things up

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
If you do decide that you want to add them....use weed eater cord, wrap the ends and in the middle with yarn....it gets rid of that rattle noise and wont blow your nocks out!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
A bit of silicone will hold them in place. they are worthless if they are loose... I'd rather buy a heavier shaft and use brass inserts than mess with the dad burn things myself.... Kirk

btw... they do stiffen up the shaft if run full length. Now how that would make an arrow act weaker is beyond me.    :dunno:

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
The answer is - YES they do.
The dynamic spine of the arrow will be stiffer when the weight is added.

Think about something here.

Any weight you add to, or take away from the arrow, the bow, or the bow string changes the "dynamics" of the mechanism.

How can it not effect the "dynamic" spine of the arrow?

If you get the tubes securely installed, and tune your bow/arrow, then they work just fine.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Well I have a couple dozen of them, If installed correctly (as shown in the installation video)they will hold good inside of the arrow shaft. When I started using these I had a concrete block wall that was shielded by a sheet of plywood and that was my backstop, I was shooting at 19yds with a 55lb Super Grizzly, when I did miss my target I had a very FEW NOCKS  blow out the back. When that did happen I would pull them partially out and crimp them again in a few more spots and I was good.As for the weight tubes affecting spine, IF THEY DID it was minimal. I did some experimenting with my 65lb Super kodiak shooting arrows with and without the weight tubes at greater distances like 50yds plus. The only difference I could actuallt notice was arrow speed. The weight tubes in question are manufactured much like a common straw only slightly thicker to add weight. The tubes do not carry any structural enhancements to the arrow. I am not an Engineer but I have done some indepth research with these. If you are looking to add some overall weight to your arrows, figure out how much overall weight you are trying to gain and order some accordingly, BTW: do yourself a favor and watch the installation video that 3Rivers put together and follow it exactly. I am sure you will be suprised, OHH Yeh! I use GTs exclusively anmd will continue to use them.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
If you want some serious additional weight over weedeater cord, try 4mm plastic coated wire clothesline, they sell 100ft of it at wally world for less than 5 bucks.  It gets you some serious additional gpi for cheap and you can add goo or yarn or whatever to stop any rattle/ potential nock popping.  I tried some recently and works like a charm.  Got some serious additional thump out of my arrows  :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I don't they impact spine at all

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I've used 550 paracord to add some weight. It fits down the shaft perfectly and adds about 80 grains to a 28" arrow. Doesn't seem to affect spine and is soft so doesn't kick nocks out. It also seems to quiet the carbons some.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I have some 4 grain per inch ones that you can have,if you want to pay shipping to you for.I didnt try them long enough to have an opinion about spine.Ive seen guys use chainsaw starter rope with good sucess.Give me a shout,if you want those 4 grainers to play with.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by BowDiddle:
The answer is - YES they do.
The dynamic spine of the arrow will be stiffer when the weight is added.

Think about something here.

Any weight you add to, or take away from the arrow, the bow, or the bow string changes the "dynamics" of the mechanism.

How can it not effect the "dynamic" spine of the arrow?

If you get the tubes securely installed, and tune your bow/arrow, then they work just fine.
The extra weight causes them to bend more, creating a weaker spine, Don't know how you came up with this info, maybe I read this wrong, I have been on this discussion before and the facts really can't change. It's the most common misconception thinking they would be stiffer, they are not.
I shot about 25 shafts testing this once and it has been confirmed by others as well.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
They don't get stiffer, they behave slightly weaker because the increase in weight makes the arrow more efficient.

And just glue the darn nock in.  I cannot understand why folks would take a chance on a nock moving.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I like 'em. I did have to learn to crimp them and install them correctly... no more popping nocs off!

I shoot Trad Onlys w/o the weight tube for everything up to and including whitetails... and shoot weight tubes for elk. My experience has indicated better penetration with the heavier arrows.

Add weight whichever way is most convenient for you.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©