3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cap dip aluminum arrows  (Read 242 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
cap dip aluminum arrows
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I did a search and couldn't find anything posted on this that targeted aluminum shafts.

What paints have you used to dip (not spray) aluminum arrows and what glues have you used for feather work on the dipped arrow.

I tried  Krylon spray on metal using Fletchtite Platinum and the feathers pulled right off.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cap dip aluminum arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Water base poly and duco.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks for posting Jon. I have some 1916s I want to cap dip and would like to know as well. I have used Rustoleum successfully as a spray-on but with Bohning Fletch Tape for the fletching. Rustoleum has a longer dry/cure time and to me works better than Krylon.

I have tried Rustoleum from a pint can to try on carbons without success. It seemed the paint wanted to crawl and was uneven, even with lightly sanding the carbon finish.

here are 6 1916s with spray Rustoleum and fletch tape adhesion. Duco on the fletch tips.

I have had the most success with Rustoleum sprays.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Have not dipped Aluminms. But I use Krylon with very nice results. Make sure you use fine steel wool and then clean well with alcohol or acetone.
Also spray 3 to 4 light coats. When done let them cure for a couple of days before you fletch them. The longer you let them dry the better.
If for some reason the finish is looking not as good as you would like. Sand again and add another coat.

I use Bohning fletching tape and either super glue or Duco on the tips of the fletching.

What I really like about the Al. shafts is you can remove the feathers and paint and redo them when they start getting beat up real bad. They will look brand new.

BTW - I used to dip my shafts but I lost my dipper in a move. Spray paint is cheaper if you like to change colors and just as nice. You can still dip them in a clear coat for a nicer look.

Rich K.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Bohning paints and products. Used them on Aluminum for many years.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Bohnning lacquers have been the standard for a long time.  Check out 3Rivers' website.  The key to painting anything aluminum is the prep; it has to be squeaky clean and etched for the paint to bond.  Then it's just a matter of using a glue that is compatible with the paint used.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Swamp Yankee is correct. I prep the dipping area by cleaning it with 91% Isopropyl to remove any film. After letting it dry thoroughly, I apply a thin base coat of white. You need a white base coat for all colors, especially florescents.

If I want a white crown dip, I leave the paint a tad thicker or just use 2 thin coats. Then use Bohning glue to adhere the feathers and nock. Never had a problem with feathers coming off. Also, the vinyl paint can be removed pretty easily for arrow repair or re-dipping.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
I guess I should has said in my original post, excluding Bohning.  I have used it and it works great.  Trouble is, the fumes from the basement in the winter time so I thought I would try something else.

My process includes criss/cross sanding the cap, clean with rubbing alchohol, sprayed with Krylon and glued with Platinum.  I waited a day before I glued the feathers on.  A week later every feather pulled right off removing the paint from the shaft.

That is why I was wondering what others did.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
I primed mine with gray Rustoleum primer then one coat of orange. No feather releases yet. I have shot them alot since that pic was taken. So far I'm pleased with how the Rustoleum has held up.

Isopropyl 91% wipe first. I did not rough up the shaft prior to painting, but may do that for the other 6 I have yet to turn into arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Joe nailed it!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just differant,after years and years of dipping aluminums in bohnings laquer,all the prep work and all the tools and supplys needed now I order wraps from Onestringer in a Cuzillion differant patterns and colours.Yes wraps are far nicer,stronger and alot more professional looking than I could ever do.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Steve X2 if fumes are a concern. Basements and attached garages like I have are not good places to do any finishing this time of the year. Wraps are not cheap but there are plain ones that are less money. I use these and crest on them.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Wraps are spendy, probably at least a buck apiece.  12 to 15 bucks a dozen.  For a 6 dollar can of rustoleum spray I get 4 to 5 dozen arrows sprayed, about 10 cents apiece.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I use wraps now , also the soild ones Works great and 8 dz for 20 bucks .
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©