3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Foam Core or Bamboo Core  (Read 444 times)

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
Foam Core or Bamboo Core
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I am looking at getting a new 3 pc TD longbow and am trying to decide on a limb core.  Which would be smoother?  advantages and disadvantages of each.  Thanks for any help you can offer.  Ken

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foam Core or Bamboo Core
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
You'd be hard pressed to tell any difference in smoothness in draw between Foam and Bamboo cores.

The difference lies in the the mass weight of the limb is much less using foam than bamboo, and you'll get higher performance using Foam.

The reason for the similarity in smoothness is that both materials are homogenous. the consistency of the core woods make much more difference than most people realize. Then again some of us measure our losses and gains with precision scales and chronographs that wouldn't be that noticeable to the average archer.

The down side to Foam is the significantly higher pitch tone you get from the limbs. it's not any louder than a bamboo limb, but the tone pitch is different. especially using carbon.

The up side to it it that it is unaffected by expansion or contraction caused by moisture content (MC levels) and temperature changes.

Kirk

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Interesting post. It's hard to believe that foam can tollerate the constant flexing generated by drawing and firing. Does anyone know if this foam was developed for use in bow building or is it used elsewhere. I understand how epoxies can bond it to other materials but its amaizing to me that the foam can hold up especially at the fades.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I agree with Kirk about the sound of foam. I don't know if it is louder or not but it definitely annoys me enough that I will not buy a bow with foam core limbs. You should shoot one with foam just to make sure you can stand the sound of it.

Bisch

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I've shot a few bows with the foam core limbs from different bowyers. They do have not only a different sound, but I also noticed a different feel from the foam vs the bamboo core. I'm probably old and set in my ways, but the bamboo (IMHO) is more user friendly.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
You'd be hard pressed to tell any difference in smoothness in draw between Foam and Bamboo cores.

The difference lies in the the mass weight of the limb is much less using foam than bamboo, and you'll get higher performance using Foam.

The reason for the similarity in smoothness is that both materials are homogenous. the consistency of the core woods make much more difference than most people realize. Then again some of us measure our losses and gains with precision scales and chronographs that wouldn't be that noticeable to the average archer.

The down side to Foam is the significantly higher pitch tone you get from the limbs. it's not any louder than a bamboo limb, but the tone pitch is different. especially using carbon.

The up side to it it that it is unaffected by expansion or contraction caused by moisture content (MC levels) and temperature changes.

Kirk
That's interesting. I wonder if humidity levels significantly affect the performance of glass laminated bows with bamboo core.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
You live in Colorado. My question would be "How does it hold up in cold temps?"
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I've been shooting/hunting with a pair of Bob Morrison's MAX I limbs the second half of this season and my wife has as well. One of the things I really like about them is how quiet they are. I've shot Borders with wood cores and they were much louder than Bob's foam. One reason I ordered a set for myself. The other is how quick and stable they are....and that I can get limbs short enough to give a 56" hunting bow on my DAS riser. From what I have read there are different types of foam and that may be a factor. In addition it seems to me that limb design is an important factor. Most of my life my bows have been maple cores and some bows have been very easy to quiet down and others seem to resist all efforts to get them quiet. Design must have something to do with it...as well as string construction and material.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I have noticed the noise level with foam cores. With all due respect, if you can hear the bow easily even from a distance like I could, the bow is loud, some would even say noisy.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I have and have had both.  I've also had a limb failure in both.  As to noise, IMO that's in the tuning.
I have a foam cored carbon Shrew that I have set up that is as quiet as any bow I've ever shot.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Kirk built me a 64" Sasquatch T/D recurve with foam cores and triple carbon limbs..no veneers.

When I first got it and shot the bow without anything on the string I was a little concerned about quieting it down. Once I put Cat Whiskers and a Boa Two Point Quiver on it, the bow is quieter than any bow I've ever shot.

I shot at about a 150" or so buck the other day at 15steps. He was walking real slow broadside coming through some tall green-briar. Some of the vines where up around his heart area and I think I over compensated. Shot right over his back. The buck never even flinched or broke stride. Just walked right on off like he was going. So the bow must be pretty quiet.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I've had both. Never noticed any difference in noise. My Morrison ilf carbon foam was very smooth, felt a couple of pounds lighter than it really was. May have to get another one some day.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
'Who' is more important than 'what' as is usually the case, frankly if you are shooting a substantial arrow and the bow is tuned noise should not be a problem regardless of material.
It comes down to 'who' made the bow and your satisfying your own personal preference; the material won't make the bow.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
bjorn has it.  Design seems far more important than material for just about every measure of bow quality (speed, smoothness, noise, etc).

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I have never tried foam limbs, that being said I have tried carbon and found it to be too abrupt for me, I could shoot it very well but didn't think the lack of smoothness was worth it, this was my opinion.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Just as a point of reference...I got my DAS riser  about 7 years ago. For all that time until recently I have shot nothing but Korean Winex limbs. They are carbon/foam...my first at using anything that didn't use B 50 string material. I have yet to find set of limbs of any kind on any type of bow that is as quiet as that set of limbs. The Morrison's are right there with them. I really think that design and experience with the materials and bow making is the difference. Longbows are a whole different ball game, I think. But I am not a longbow shooter so cannot make too many comments on them...so I won't.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I have a set of foam core limbs right now, I had a set before and sold them. I have many bows with bamboo cores and I have to admit it's my favorite choice for a limb core. Foam is good but the feel, or what ever you call it of bamboo works for me! As far as noise.......that can be fixed in any bow!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
I had a set of foam cored longbow limbs. They were not "loud" but had a different sound "pitch" if you will. I prefer bamboo. Don't think I could get use to that high pitch. I have never had a bow I couldn't quiet. Some just take more work.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Good maple is my first choice. Then foam, then actionboo. Kirk is making action maple and it looks like the ticket. I guess I have to get my saw out and cut some lams and glue up some action maple or I am going to be behind the curve. My take is that the homogenous quality of foam and actionboo are relatively same. Foam is lighter as Kirk stated and completely impervious to moisture which in my opinion make it a better than actionboo for hunting conditions.
I really love maple cores though because it is light and strong and makes a very fast limb. It lacks the homogenous quality of the other two unless you get fairly verticle cut with no weak spots. Hard to do . Making it into action maple makes it homogenous though and would eliminate any fault I can see as long as the bow is completely sealed against humidity or moisture.

God bless you all and Merry Christmas, Steve

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
I have had two bows that I have had both foam cores and boo cores. Exact same limb design and same poundage. Hands down I'd go with the foam from my experience. With that said every limb design is different and in some limbs it may not make a difference but for a mere $30 addition its a no brainer for me.

Smoother and faster in both cases and the foam wasn't louder just a different sound at the shot.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©