3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gobbler Guillotines out of a trad bow?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gobbler Guillotines out of a trad bow?
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I think they would work what say you?
I am looking at them because I think the head/neck shot is the best choice for the bow using turkey hunter because it means you will either quickly kill the tom or miss him completely. That being said I like to use the big Snuffer but maybe there is a place for the Guillotine in the trad guys bag o'tricks.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gobbler Guillotines out of a trad bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
C2,

Gobbler Guillotines....fancy broadhead???  :help:  

What do they look like?

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Lobo do a websearch and you see pictures. BUT
they basically are a big flying X with 6 or 8 inch razors crossed through a target point. with 3 to 4 inches of blade on each side. They decapitate turkeys. They work best on carbon arrows(according to the manufacturer) and fly best with large high profile fletches with helical.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
I've wondered what happens when you miss and hit them in the body with one of those heads.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
MikeW you DON'T  get the bird   :bigsmyl:
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I tried them out of my Crow Creek and they flew ok but I decided to stick with a 2 blade head that I was confident in and make sure I could hit my spot.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Oh yeah, and it was a good choice.  My Merriams this year didn't go 15 yards.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
The reality is not that you either kill or miss;  it is you can either kill/miss or mame.  What happens if you that head hits the beak of the turkey and it can't feed?  What happens if you take off both legs with a low hit?  What happens if you cause inner trauma with a body hit?   The answers are not pretty.  

I consider myself a pretty good shot, but certainly not good enough to call neck shots on turkey.  Better do some soul-searching if you think you're that good...cause you're not.

Ben Pearson had a head for duck hunting that was similar....many decades ago.  He ditched the idea saying the heads would cause more wounding then not.  Ben cared about it.  Apparently that kind of manufacturer ethic died with him.

Offline T.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm with George, what does a body shot do to a turkey with these heads?

I guess if you got the legs you could quickly kill em with a stick or ring their necks.

Head shots in any hunting situation are iffy, I knew a guy that shot his deer with a rifle this way and one time it was not pretty, a deer he shot in the muzzle was luckily killed two days later with a shot behind the shoulder, needles suffering.

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
George D. Stout your thoughts on those heads are the same as any broadhead . there are many mamed and wounded animals each year with all diffrent brands and types of broadheds. I tend to disagree with you it comes down to your aiming for a kill zone on a turkey neck/head just as well as a deer behind the shoulder .and both can be missed easily .

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Yup, disagree with George as that can happen with any head. The guy from Double Bull shooting an ACS has shot quite a few with the Gobbler Guillotine and it works nice, they say just shoot above 50#s at your draw. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Totally agree with Mr. George D. Stout and disagree with Shawn,, I too consider myself a good shot but would never take a head , neck shoot on a turkey. To much motion in the head to risk it, much better to take a body vital shot, (provided your broadhead isn't trying to be a fishing net !!),JMHO,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
The Gobbler Guillotine is highly efective, Almost like cheeting, good for compounds, But not very Traditional, In my opinion  :archer:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Ontario Longbow I do believe deer move around twitch and jerk not still very long as well as a turkey . this is no diffrent than aiming for the kill zone on a deer or anything else to take a head shot on a turkey. kill zones are kill zones and its possible to miss . bet you miss a turkey head and your more than likely going to miss the whole bird miss a kill zone on a deer and your going to get guts or neck , backstraps . theres always a possibilty of wounding an animal when you let that arrow fly .

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
In terms of vitals, a turkey's head is about the size of its heart/lung area, but a lot easier to know exactly where it is and focus on.  However, as has been pointed out, that head moves around alot, and often quite fast.  

I don't use them, and don't plan to.  I've heard that they should not be shot through blind netting, which apparently throws them off considerably.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Yup, dorris right! These things are wide, much easier to hit the head with one of these than a vital that is lucky to be the size of a softball. The head is almost as big as the vitals and you are shooting  a blade that if 4 times as wide as a regular hunting broadhead. If they fly great for ya, than there is no doubt and I mean no doubt you have a better chance with the guillotine, thnat said I use a snuffer, but would gladly try a guillotine, watch a DB video and see for yourself. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
I should also say if ya think that is cheating than ya better hunt with only a selfbow and stone heads, cause those guys are the only true traditionalist here, Oh and arrows made from river cane or bamboo or a hickory stick! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Nope.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
A mans got to know his limitations! and each to his own opinion. Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
And Shawn....Let's remember that head is turning with the arrow.  I wonder how many times it's going to be exactly horizontal to take off that head.  It's taking a chance that I feel is too risky.  Those commercials and television shows aren't going to show you the bad hits.  

What does "traditional" have to do with recklessness?   It's a poor choice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©