3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow newbie?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow newbie?
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Just about have all the stuff to try and make up some wood arrows after the holiday madness.  My initial plan was to make them up plain with just a couple coats of wipe on poly, fletch and shoot.  I have a couple questions though.  I use fletch tape and I've been told it will work fine with the poly.  I usually use fletch tite platinum for the feather ends, will it work with the poly?  Duco is always recommended but I haven't seen it locally.  Was also curious if there was any kind of commonly available paint I could use to do a crown dip after sealing?  If there isn't anything cheap and easy I'll happily run them plain, but I would like a white cap if it's easy to accomplish.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow newbie?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Killz spray paint for the crown. Tape it off and spray.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Family Dollar stores carry Duco.

Build a dip tube out of PVC. Search the web .

I have several of these dip tubes.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
I was thinking empty water bottle instead of dip tube to start.  I've not had the best luck spraying caps in the past, but never tried to do wood.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Brad- fletch tite platinum will work fine on your feather ends. Ive never had a problem. If thats what you have go for it.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
My attempts at spraying have failed but there are so many guys who do it I assume my issues are operator error

Good luck its fun to make arrows
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I wouldn't get into dipping unless I was doing production for an arrow business.It's a messy pain in the rear.

Cheap flat white spray paint,then poly over it.Works great.

Fletch tape will work excellent over poly.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I have used rustolum spray paint with good results.

Offline kindor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I wipe on a couple coats of poly and use superglue for the fletch
McBroom string follow
7 Lakes Carolina night
Lofton Hill style Longbow

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
X2 the Rustoleum.  Tape the shafts off and spray two light coats.  Make sure to let them dry thoroughly before you fletch them.  Works great!
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Rustoleum from a can works well for a dip over oil base poly.  Duco or platinum will work for the fletching.  As Bud mentioned, Duco is cheap at Family Dollar altho the big tip can make a mess.  I use mine in a separate glue bottle.  The Platinum comes with a pretty good tip.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
If you use waterbase paint and poly it is not messsy at all. I use 1/2" PVC instead of 3/4". Less volume. And, I use a cheap turkey baster to draw paint or poly from the can, because pouring it IS a messy task, put it in the dip tube, and then pour the unused portions back into their original containers. With the 1/2" pipe and 11/32 shafts, you can let the fluid get pretty low before having to add more. As you drop the shaft into the tube it forces the liquid up the tube and into the reducer as overflow occurs.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Oh, clean the tube with warm water after pouring the leftover back into their containers.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
I made up a 1.5" X 12" long dip tube out of scrap PVC for my cap dipping. Buy the Krylon Acrylic Enamel in qt cans from Wally World for about $8 a can and thin the crap out of it with water. You want the paint so thin that it runs back off the shaft into the dip tube like water. Two coats, a day in between coats. I tape off a 10" crown and dip the first coat about 1/8" shy of the tape. Second coat right too the tape and then start my cresting at this transistion point between my cap and stain. That way you do not get a bump at the transistion point with two coats of paint right at that point. 3 coats of Dalys Profin for my topcoats after my cresting has dried for a day. Testors Acrylics for my cresting from Hobby Lobby.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Fletch tite will work on wipe on poly and any spray paint will do the crown,just use steel wool to ruff up the surface before the paint. and do very light coats while rotating the shaft as you spray, dont try and get it all in one spraying it will just run.. Good luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
If you have one close by, Ace hardware carries Duco.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
These guys pretty well covered it.No need for over complication,etc.Highly recomend the wipe on poly v.s. spray can ,gas you out finish.Less mess,runs and a good solid finish.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Things are coming along well.  I do have another question.  I acquired a bears paw taper tool.  Which wood types does this tool work on and which would require a poor sophisticated taper tool?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Spruce and POC will work well in a hand held taper tool. For Doug Fir I use a sander, it tends to splinter with a hand taper tool.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
Ok just came up with another question.  After point tapering 160gr. Point fit fine but I had to trim the taper for a 125gr. Point.  Is that normal?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©