3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joe (Whip) Lash - TATONKA! Story pg 9  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joe (Whip) Lash - TATONKA! Story pg 9
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Still working on some caping and fleshing, but will get this tale started from the beginning.

Back in late October I walked out to pick up the mail and in sorting through the usual junk I noticed an envelope from the State of Utah. Probably some survey or something I supposed. Imagine my suprise when the letter inside said that I had been chosen for a cow bison tag! Apparently population surveys this year indicated a higher than desired number of bison on the Henry's, so some additional cow permits were approved.

I received the letter on a Monday, and it gave me only until Friday of that week to decide whether or not I wanted to accept the permit. Utah bison tags are "Once In A Lifetime" tags. If I accepted the tag, I would never even be able to apply for this hunt again. I could refuse the tag, and hope to someday draw it again in the normal draw process with more chance to do my research ahead of time. Or I could take this one and scramble to try to make the best of it.

The odds of actually drawing this permit are very low, so I really hadn't done any real research into the hunt. I guess I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it, and assumed I would have plenty of time to figure it out if it ever happened. Not true!

Phone calls, emails, and internet searches started immediately, and initial reports were not very encouraging. It seems that the Henry Mountains can be one of the most physically demanding hunts in the west. In addition, there would be about 25 other hunters with tags, most of whom would be using rifles. Since most of the tags go to Utah residents, and buffalo tags are highly prized, most hunters line up as many friends and relatives as they can find and bring them along to help locate the herds. I was told to expect to see 10 times as many people as there were available tags.

It quickly became apparent that this was not a trip I could just load up my truck and go camp in the mountains on my own. Competing with so many people, most carrying high powered rifles, and all with lots of help running around on atv's and in trucks. Finding a bison in an reasonably accessible area would probably result in many others who had found the same thing.

The vast majority of my hunting is done on my own, without the help of a guide or outfitter, and I normally much prefer it that way. In this case however, I decided that the only way that I could make this happen would be to find an outfitter that could hunt with horses to help me get away from the crowds.

I received a great tip from my friend Nathan Kanous. It turns out that his wife's cousin is an outfitter in Utah and had a lot of experience hunting Henry Mountain bison. He runs a string of mules, and after talking to him on the phone I was convinced that he would be able to do what I was hoping for.

Arrangements were made, and my hunt was scheduled to begin on December 17th. Depending on how things went there was a very good possibility that I wouldn't make it home for Christmas, so in addition to burning up my Utah bison preference points, I had to cash in every "good husband and father" point I owned at home.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Congrats Joe! Can't wait for the rest of the story and pictures!

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
With such short notice before the hunt, time went by quickly. I wasn't prepared physically for a mountain hunt, let alone in one of the most rugged places in the west. I quickly joined a local gym in an attempt to do what I could. Too little too late, but better than nothing.

I also started shooting as much as I possibly could, extending my normal range to 30 or more yards. I didn't really want to have to shoot that far, but figured practicing at the longer distances might help me push it to a 25 yard shot if needed. I built a special batch of arrows with penetration in mind. I had some older Carbonwood 5000's, added a 100 grain brass insert and topped them with 250 grain VPA 2 blade broadheads. Total arrow weight was 715 grains, and they flew well from my 57@29 RER LX.

Before I knew it, my truck was packed and headed west. I took my time, and stopped for visits with Shaun Webb in Iowa, the Clum family at Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear in Denver, and my nephew Ross in Vail CO.

The outfitter that I was hunting with was Tom Dowland. He hunts not only buffalo, but elk, deer, and bear. His real passion is chasing mountain lions, and although our focus for this trip would be buffalo, he did bring some dogs along "just in case." Tom was headed to the mountain to set up camp on Saturday, and although my tag wasn't valid until Monday he welcomed me to join them early. A couple of days to acclimate are always a good idea on a mountain hunt, so I jumped at the chance.

The Henry's had received a fresh blanket of the first snow of the season just the night before, and as we headed higher the scenery was just more and more spectacular.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Simply *awesome*....

Keep it comin' Joe!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
After setting up camp on Saturday we had all day Sunday to play before the season opened. With the fresh snow conditions were perfect for lion hunting, so the dogs got loaded in the boxes on the back of the utv's and we watched for fresh tracks as we scouted a bit for buffalo as well.

I'm not positive, but I think the top of this mountain is something around 11,000 feet.

Mountain top at 10X Zoom.

My first buffalo sighting!! But man, they were in a tough spot! I sure hoped we'd be able to find some that were just a little bit lower....

We continued on, and eventually did find one fresh lion track. But it was a fairly small one, and headed into a really rugged canyon. Although it would have been cool to see one up close in a tree, we chose not to chase it. I needed to save my strength for the morning! Later on I did spot one more group of buffalo, but again they were WAYYYYYYY up on top!   :eek:   This was looking even tougher than I had feared!!   :scared:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Really neat pic of Bison on the hoof.
What a place!
Thanks for taking the time to tell the tale, but posting that hero shot sealed your fate, I guess.
Much appreciated, regardless.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Oh, this is going to be good.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Keep it coming
   :campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of the story.  Congrats in advance on a great hunt.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Joe,
Was this area the subject of a wildfire in the fairly recent past (2003)?  That would explain some of the "sticks dressed in snow" passing as trees.  

I seem to recall some burned trees in Kim's great-uncle's and cousin's pictures.
homebru

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Joe, This is Great already.   :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Awesome looking country Joe!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Nathan, yes, this was the area that was burned off, and I think you are right that it was 2003.  While the burnt timber looks like it must have been devastating, in reality it opened up the cover and allowed browse to flourish, creating fantastic wildlife habitat.  The bison and mule deer have been the primary beneficiaries.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
Opening morning of the buffalo season brought a new perspective of the mountains. We couldn't see a thing! Clouds had rolled in during the night, and we were in the middle of them. We puttered anxiously around camp hoping and praying that rising thermals might lift the ceiling. The mules were saddled and ready to go, but it didn't do much good to ride around blindly, not to mention it could be dangerous to not be able to pick the best route through some of that terrain. By noon it became apparent that this was about it for the day. The cloud ceiling hung no more than 100 feet above our heads. We could see down the valleys fairly well, but had hoped to hunt uphill, and it was nothing but soup as soon as you looked up.

Sometime during the night what appeared from tracks to have been a buffalo bull had wandered through only 30 yards from our tent. Following those tracks downhill we found more tracks. We took a ride on the mules to follow as best we could, but it wasn't long before they disappeared into the clouds. We were afraid that even if we did push them and come upon the herd, all we would accomplish would be to bump them out of the area.
We took a circular ride a bit lower on the mountain, but other than a few old tracks and beds, didn't see anything else that day.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Day number two dawned with more of the same. Only this time the ceiling was even lower. We took a ride down the mountain in the truck and couldn't drop out of the clouds. With very low temperatures in the forecast we decided to spend the day cutting firewood for the wood stove. It was looking like we would want a good supply.

Man I hate it when the weatherman is right! Day three brought heavy snows and high winds. We were trapped in the tent once again, but happy to have a good stash of wood. Other than the short exploratory mule ride on the first day I really hadn't even hunted yet. It was hard to crack a smile. I was glad that I had stopped on my way out and bought a couple of paperback books.

Overnight lows were in the double digit NEGATIVE side of zero!! It actually sounds worse than it was though. A wall tent with a wood stove makes for a very comfortable camp in just about any conditions, and we were fine. The biggest challenge was handling nature calls.

At least the forecast for the next day called for clearing skies. We would wait until the sun had a chance to warm things a bit, but at least it looked like we would get to hunt!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Joe,
Thanks for sharing your story.  I can't wait to hear the rest of it!

John

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Oh man! Anxiously waiting for the rest! You're killing me here Sir!!!
Live and let live.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Told you they were rugged  :)  wished I could have made it up there with you. Thanks for taking the time for the story.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©