3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap cap wrap alternative  (Read 196 times)

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
Cheap cap wrap alternative
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Hello archers! Please forgive me if this has already been posted, but I found a great alternative to commercially made cap wraps. I use the adhesive-backed vinyl shelf liners from home improvement stores. A 12"x10 foot white roll only costs less than $4, compared to the $10 for a dozen cap wraps. Just cut them to size and you can make hundreds. Very durable, and as far as I can tell, the same thickness. Had no problems with feathers coming off (I use fletching tape, haven't tried glue). The only downside is that your color choice is limited, although they do sell granite, flowers, paisley and wood grain in addition to white. Might try the paisley just for kicks -- might get a new nickname, "The Paisley Hunter"!     :D
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap cap wrap alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
You can also use decal material from a print shop. I paid $5.00 for a sheet that lasted a long time.
NFetscher

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Ed,
 Before I use shelf paper I would call Onestringer.com and order 8 dozen of the solid colors shipped to me for $20.00....He will have them cut to fit your choice of arrow and he is a sponcer here on Tradgang..He has the cheapest and best wraps I have ever had....Now if you want fancy he has those also but for a reasonable cost and you can make your own personnal design ....Yes 8 dozen and sometimes he throws some extras in the batch...

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Onestringer's cap wraps are fantastic.  They are much better than I could make myself.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
X3 on Onestringer wraps.  Can't beat them for the price.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Onestringer rules.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
One stringer is the way to go. Plus the double dogs perfect the wrap.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
We have Onestringer solid wraps for $3.99 a dozen.  At that price I'd rather spend my time and energy somewhere else, but anything you do yourself is always satisfying.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
OH. MY. GOD. Didn't know about Onestringer! Love the idea of custom arrow wraps -- thanks for the info!
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
I buy nearly all of my wraps from Onestringer.  However, I do use the shelf paper for my small game arrows-the ones that I never seem to find-that get shot into the trees.  I usually use 3/8" dowels, shelf paper caps, and feather leftovers from trimming.  I loose a fair number so I don't put much money into them.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Ed,  
 After I posted about onestringer I really didn't mean to put down the idea of using shelf paper and if that's all you have available and can afford or get then please forgive my reply to your post...I just didn't know if you knew Onestringer is a sponcor here and has the cheapest deal I have ever seen on wraps for 8 dozen..I know some people have them for less for just a dozen but if you can get 8 dozen at a bargain price and can use them or share them with others then that's worth buying the 8 dozen and split the cost among the friends and if you use the same size then you each pay just $2.50 a dozen and if you still only need 1 dozen then check out some of the other great sponsors here on the Gang...Many companys to choose from I just happened to buy mine from Onestringer due to the color choice and price cut for 8 dozen and I can mix and match how I like as long as they are the solids only...You want fancy and different well he has that option too...  :thumbsup:

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
You can't beat Onestringers wraps.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©