3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Toes..Fingers  (Read 355 times)

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cold Toes..Fingers
« on: December 22, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
This did not come up in a search..

Wondering what folks use to remedy; easily cold toes and fingers??
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Toes..Fingers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Asbell muff, up to 2 pair of good wool socks, and chemical warmers when it gets really cold. I wear the same thin poly type gloves I do in spring turkey.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
If someone responds with a good answer, he could be a millionare.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Don't wear boots that are too tight regardless of the brand.  Wear socks that wick the moisture away from your feet.  If they sweat too bad, use antiperspirant.  If sitting, get some fleece pullover boot blankets and put handwarmers in them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
#1. Wool gloves
#2. Better boots and keep your feet dry
#3. Hunt earlier in season (before the freeze). I prefer cold enough temps to hang a deer over night.
#4. Try some still hunting even moving slowly can keep your extremities warmer.
Do you take blood pressure meds? Can effect tolerance to the cold.
...Mark

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Wear military Mickey mouse boots!  Best boot I've ever hunted in for warmth. Mittens and hand warmers to keep fingers warm.  Light glove under mitten for shooting opportunities.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Get a pair of ArctIc Shield boots covers and your feet will stay warm in even non-insulated boots. They weigh next to nothing and pack easily/flat. If really cold, just add a chemical hand warmer and you're good to go.  Hands, I just use the hand-warmers with light gloves.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Arctic shield boot covers X2. Insulated hand tube type warmer that goes around your waste. Keep hands in it while sitting and can add hand warmer inside if needed. I picked up a really thick warm one the other day.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Silk or poly socks,under armor cold gear or wool socks, poly glove liners and a glommit glove.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Article this issue of deer and deer hunting written by a colleague of mine. he is a physiologist who has studied (data based research) thermoregulation for the past 30yrs or so (name is Phil Bishop). Great advice in his article.
it comes down to 1. heat production 2. heat dissipation and how they can be effegtivley manipulated.
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Control the dead air space around where you're cold and control the moisture and you have it whipped.

Looser fitting (slightly looser) boots to allow for the auxillary warmers and a hand muff made of fleece much like what you see quarterbacks using in the NFL. Inside those muffs are the hot hands warmers.

I hope this link is OK to use.

http://stn3.headgap.com/hothands/FMPro?-db=Ordershh.fp3&-format=products.htm&-new
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
What everyone said above. I also use SEVERAL chemical warmers for each of my hands, either in pockets or shearling sheepskin pockets I made like the old "wooly boogers" from Echo Enterprises years ago. If walking far and my feet sweat, a change of socks in my pack before sitting, then a toe warmer above and below my toes. My sweaty socks go in a ziplock bag.
Boots CANNOT BE TIGHT OR YOU ARE DONE!!!!
A chemical pack on the back of my neck seems to help me keep warm all over too.
David M. Conroy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Just a tip about toe warmers, my friend had some and he gave me a pack also,well his the whole box was defective and both of us had to rip our boots off in the stands due to the warmers actually getting so hot they were burning the crap out of our toes. I only use hand warmers now.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Slightly different angle here.
Keep your core warmer.
I wear two hats because that's where we tend to lose the most heat.  If I can keep from feeling "chilled" then my hands and feet take care of themselves.  Also, I rarely wear gloves unless it's really cold and only then it's a pair of the cheap thin ones that have the little rubber dots on the palm side which keeps my hands off of a cold bow.  I keep my hands in my pockets.  
If it's a real issue, get a Heater Body Suit and you'll forget the temp.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Hot Hands and Tostie Toes!!!!  I swear by them. lol  and boots that aren't too tight that way the tostie toes can get a little bit of oxygen so they stay activated.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
A lot of good advice in above posts.

I assume you are talking about sitting still in a stand or blind.

Feet:  thin poly liner sock with a merino wool sock over that.  My favorite cold weather boot for under 20 degrees is a Cabela's trans alaska boot.  Best boot I have ever worn for cold weather.  It has a very thick sole, with a wool felt liner and a metallic liner.  I frost bit my feet pretty bad when I was young so my feet get cold pretty easily.  These boot keep my feet warm.

See boots at the following link and check out reviews.  Boots are on sale.  I have older pair of camo version.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Pac-Winter-Boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/103959180/Cabelas-Trans-Alaska8482-III-Pac-Boot/749505.uts?destination=%2 Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-pac-winter-boots%2F_%2FN-1107989%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103959180%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104797980%253Bcat104747580&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat 104797980%3Bcat104747580%3Bcat103959180

Core:
If you under dress your core (torso), your brain will reduce blood flow to extremities to keep brain and organs warm.  So dress to keep core warm.  I carry clothing to the stand to put on when I arrive so I do not get sweaty on the way to my stand/blind.  Base layer of wool, Thermax, Capilene, polypropylene, silk, or other base leayer with wool or fleece over that, followed by outer layer.

Hands:  The chemical heaters (I like the disposable hand warmers) work great.  I will wear a light glove on my bow hand, with a hand warmer inside the glove on the back of the hand.  I prefer a large wool mitten with a hand warmer inside on my string hand.  I stuff the mitten in a pant or coat pocket and pull my  hand with tab out when I neeed to shoot, leaving the mitten in the pocket.

Nutrition:
Nutrition plays a big part of staying warm, as does being hydrated. If you are dehydrated, your body will not be able to regulate heat as well.  Consume protein to help regulate heat.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
I use a Heater Body Suit when it gets cold. I've had mine for about 8 years and wish I would have bought one long before that. They are a little pricey, but they sure work. I've sat in cold and wind for 3 to four hours and have been comfortable, in fact I have fallen asleep a time or two!

They generally have reduced prices after hunting season.  http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.html
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
As stated above all great ideas, advent of wicking socks and baselayers (Merino wool, ploypro) etc all help! However age, health, Meds, circulation and old injuries all play roles in the ability to keep warm! I injured my left knuckle/index finger this spring, now my left index finger gets colder when the rest of my fingers do not I think it is do to some nerve issues from the injury! Lets face it some times at least here in Michigan it is fricking cold enough that nothing will keep the chill out, no matter how much clothing or what type I put on, those days I stay home! LOL getting old or wiser I guess!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
For me cold fingers is a management thing.  Learned spring fly fishing that core temp and head temp helps keep fingers warm.  Also I try really hard to keep hands out of exposure by keeping in my coat pockets and while sitting with bow on lap.  Even on really cold days learned my bare hands stay warmest in my pockets, allowing for several minutes of barehand exposure to make the shot. I use warm mittens to and from stand.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
A real warm hat will go a long way towards keeping the rest of your body warm.  When it's real cold I take a beaver fur hat with me and put it on when I get to my stand.  It's way too hot to walk in but sure keeps me warm when sitting.  If you eat carbohydrate rich foods before you hunt it will help - it's fuel for the furnace.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©