3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking Pack Advice  (Read 264 times)

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking Pack Advice
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I need suggestions for a light weight pack I can use while stalking deer. I usually start with a backpack and end up taking it off because it gets in the way moving through bush/trees.

I don't want to carry much, binoculars, snack, water, call, just basics. I need something that I can store stuff without it getting in the way. I'm open for any type of pack or carry method.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things they like to use?
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking Pack Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Kifaru UL spike camp, 2200 cubic inches @ 2.7 lbs. or a spike camp legacy 4.2 lbs. in camo 2200 cubic inches bomb proof.

Great products and services, I do own some of the gear and it's great.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
How about a haversack? It doesnt get much more compact than that.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Any good haversack makers?
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline Axis Thinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Sounds like you need a Cat Quiver. I do a lot of stalking for Hogs In Ala, and I really like mine. This particular model has a pack  for bulky stuff and two side pockets. Very easy to organize my gear. The built in arrow holder keeps 6 broad heads ready and the Fletches dry. You can retrieve your arrows with minimal movement which can be really important for multiple shot situations. The woods here in Ms and Al can get pretty thick and mine fits well and allows me to go where I need quietly. Hope this helps you.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I've been using a Hill People Gear, Tarahumara in that role and it has been exceptional.  A little more expensive then some but is 100% USA made of USA products.

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I started using a fanny pack this year and really like it.   Cheap too about 10 bucks for a camo one at most outdoors stores.

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
The GFA haversack sure is a nice addition to my pile of bags. If i am not gonna need a large bag to pack meat, like an Oregon Pack Works bag, the GFA is great. Plus they are a sponsor here.   :thumbsup:

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I love my Badlands "nano" fanny pack. I can fit food, calls, scents, compass, gps, etc. it also has two water bottle holders so I put water in one and my thermacell in the other. Had it about four years and its held up great. To remove it during a stalk just unclip the buckle, and its off. Much more convenient for me than removing a backpack.

Offline Axis Thinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I just re-read your original post and something caught my eye.
Your Binoculars! Def. do not need to be in a pack if you are going to be stalking. My day job is thinning a herd of Axis Deer and my Bino's are always on my chest. Same for stalking Hogs. Get a good chest strap for your Bino's and use them.
I'm an old guy, but very good at what I do, and I use my Binoculars alot.  Good Huntin!

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Also I should note, for me the main advantage of the nano in particular, is that it has many pockets, which allows me to organize everything and it stays where I want it. Whereas most cheap models have only one large pocket.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I've got a fanny pack and a large day-pack (2700 cu), both by Bruzer Gear, that work great for me.  Never have had to take them off due to thick brush... but I haven't had to walk through lots of brambles, either.

The CatQuiver works very well, too.  I have a CQ 4, and I have no complaints.  I also have 2 great packs by Summit Equipment... they are heavy belts that suspend a medium-size bag (like a cargo pocket) on each leg, hanging from the belt and securing to the leg.  This works well, too, but I've never gone through heavy brush with either one.  You'd have to find one of these second-hand, as they aren't being sold new anymore.    PM me if you want more info on these.

Lots of good bags out there.  Seems like a center-of-the-back fanny or backpack would work best for what you need.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Bison gear makes a darn nice haversack too..

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
I just bought the Hunter's Sling Pack from LL Bean. It's a one strap bandallero style pack. I've yet to hunt with it, but it fits nicely and closely on the back. Will work great with my Arrowmaster quiver.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Bison gear lost river is a sweet pack! Get the wool and it will be quite. Plenty of room for a coat or any extras if you need but not to big where its uncomfortable when you just need a smaller amount of gear
Levi Bedortha

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
Badlands Diablo.  Narrow so it isn't wider that your body.  Mesh back panel to keep you cool. Carry a water bladder.  Perfect light day pack.  Lifetime warranty.
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Look at the Safari Tuff Arrowmaster quiver. It has a pocket to carry small items plus lots of arrows. When I'm hunting whitetails, that and a couple of things in my cargo pants, and I'm good to go.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
pockets
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Look uo Ribz.  I have all my necessaries in it, water, binos, camera, gps  extras of all.  Have all my clothes and raingear in my backpack

They work well at balancing, and offer no problems in shooting
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
x2 for the Catquiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©