3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Remote Wilderness  (Read 467 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Remote Wilderness
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
What state (excluding Alaska) or states has the most remote wilderness(untapped territory). The kind of wilderness you can go miles upon miles without seeing any modern civilization.

And who has ever wanted to hunt it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Remote Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
The U.P. here in michigan has some remote areas.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Well, I cant speak for the US, but I hunted northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories and its like the rest of the world doesnt exist.
Some areas of Northern Maine are pretty remote, but logging is forever creeping in.
David M. Conroy

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
The Absaroka/Beartooth in southern Montana is very high, very rugged and much of it very remote.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Idaho...Frank Church River of No Return

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I don't know,but lets go   :D
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I went to the Bob Marshall (Montana) last September, a midwestern boys dream.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I think the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho is the largest in the lower 48.  You can go for weeks in either the Bob  Marshall, Lee Metcalf, or Absaroka without seeing civilization.  I haven't hunted the Frank Church in over twenty years but did annually before moving to Montana; don't think it has changed much.  Haven't hunted the Bob yet but hunt the both the Lee Metcalf and Absaroka/Beartooth most years.  

My grandmother was born and raised in the middle of the Frank Church, before it was a wilderness.  My grandfather and her had a homestead there before it mysteriously burned shortly after they made it into a  wilderness.  

Sorry for the rant.  One item on my bucket list is to take  a pack string of mules back into the old homestead,  find grandpas mine,  find my uncles mine (just to see where they are), and then spend the fall hunting and fishing using the homestead as a base camp.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I seem to recall hearing that the Eagle's Cap Wilderness is a pretty honking big piece of real estate down there too.

Up here we are blessed with huge areas like the Sacred Headwaters and the Muskwa Kechika, just for starters.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Here you go.

Where is the largest area of contiguous wilderness?
In this context, contiguous means wilderness land that is unbroken by any exempted corridors. In Alaska, the Noatak and Gates of the Arctic Wildernesses (12,743,329 acres) make up the largest area of unbroken wilderness. In the lower 48 states, the largest area of unbroken wilderness is found in Idaho's Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness (approximately 2,300,000 acres)

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Wow!!!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Walt that sounds like a trip of a lifetime!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
If alaska is out, then eagle cap wilderness in eastern oregon would be a good one. Also close to john day wilderness and some easy to disapear in areas out of granite oregon.

Offline Snome

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Hey there, first post here. Hi from Ohio!

I haven't done anything archery related in a long time...looking to get back into it. My primary hobby is shooting firearms, but I can't do that so easily in the city and it's getting expensive for ammunition (ESPECIALLY NOW!). Planning on picking up a nice longbow from the classifieds or from one of the makers I've see on here.

Anyways, so as as remote areas, I've explored a bit of Northwestern Montana and also Maine. NW Montana is by far the most remote place I've been, but Maine is pretty close. Walked out on a rocky beach one time and my girlfriend and I didn't realize how far we'd gone. The woods in Maine are really beautiful too, especially near the beaches.

Montana was everything I'd ever dreamed of for camping or for anything outdoors really.

Everything there is crazy gorgeous. Here's a picture I took backpacking out there last summer. For an example of how expansive it is out there - I live in Ohio, and my city has over twice the amount of people living in it as the whole state of MT has! This picture was taken after hiking 8 miles into the wilderness (going mostly up).

(I think I sized it correctly)

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
I'm in lets go,  Just got my new hiking backpack today I'll start loading it up.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
I think the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho is the largest in the lower 48.  You can go for weeks in either the Bob  Marshall, Lee Metcalf, or Absaroka without seeing civilization.  I haven't hunted the Frank Church in over twenty years but did annually before moving to Montana; don't think it has changed much.  Haven't hunted the Bob yet but hunt the both the Lee Metcalf and Absaroka/Beartooth most years.  

My grandmother was born and raised in the middle of the Frank Church, before it was a wilderness.  My grandfather and her had a homestead there before it mysteriously burned shortly after they made it into a  wilderness.  

Sorry for the rant.  One item on my bucket list is to take  a pack string of mules back into the old homestead,  find grandpas mine,  find my uncles mine (just to see where they are), and then spend the fall hunting and fishing using the homestead as a base camp.
I'm young and healthy. When do we leave?

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Eagle caps gets a lot of hunting preasure and you run into or see a lot of people while hunting that area... I have done it a few times but got tired of all the people so now hunt other areas here in OR.

I would love to check out the Bob marshal wilderness!
Levi Bedortha

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
That sounds amazing, Walt.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
+1 for Maine. Never been on the ground other than Bangor but everytime I flew over was a reawakening of what I love about America. Truly beautiful country seemingly untouched.
Live and let live.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »
arnhemland in the northern territory here in australia. it's a very wild place.

also the southern alps in new zealand.

i just love the word wilderness!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©