3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brant has the Hitman recurve.  (Read 787 times)

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
Brant has the Hitman recurve.
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Ok. I am here to start my tale of this new Hitman Static tip Recurve.  First and foremost I wish to thank Dave for his generosity and trust in us in allowing Sofia to spend time with us.  He did not just throw a cheapie together, it is made of some beautifull wood choices. Guess now is as good a time as any to let you know that I am calling her Sophia, After Sophia Vegara.  You know......Curvy!

I am only a novice and my opinion  should not be considered professional.  However, I know what I like and what works for me.  If I were to find a new Hitman Recurve in my stocking I would be very pleased.  I am  taking pics as I go and will post  those later. (after I read the tutorials on how to post them). I will also be more specific in my next post on my evaluation.
Merry CHRISTmas
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brant has the Hitman recurve.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Enjoy Brant , I sure did  :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
X2 .... enjoy
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Brant
Great to hear and look forward to hearing about your time with "Sophia".....lol
Good shooting and I too am a proud son of a Vietnam Veterana and a vet of US Navy, Corpsman style....

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »
Brant, you're darn sure no novice!!!! Some of the newer members might think you are a novice just because you said that, and they would be very wrong! For anyone who doesn't know who Brant is, believe me, he is a very experienced traditional archer who definitely knows bows. If Brant recommends a bow, it is well deserved praise.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Ok   I am just an average shooter.  I don't get to shoot as much as I would like , but who does?  I have learned what I need in a bow to shoot better.  I also know what I want.

After years of chasing speed and more years  hasing the ultimate short bow,I learns some things. Like this for example.  I have a 27" draw and a lot of bowsers are comfortable suggesting their shortest bows for me.  I have shot many examples of recurves as short as 52".  For  now 56 or 58 is short enough for me.  But 60"  and 62" are where I normally stay.  I prefer the comfort of the draw there.  Also, my findings are that I can get a quieter release with my 3 under release with the longer bows than with the shorter.  I am sure may of you have no problem with 3 under and short bows, I do and this is my story so longer is better.  

How does this relate to Sofia?  Well, this  62" darling draws smoothly to my 27" anchor and those levers on the end are doing their job as well.  I prefer static limb recurves  over all other bows.  Even if some are calling theirs semi- static I will class them here as well.  Due to some neck pain I dropped down to 40/41 pounds lately.  Sofia is marked 48@28 so I am probably getting 45 or 46 at my 27". ( I'll confirm). No problems. Have shot it bunches very comfortably.

As for speed, I do not have a chrono (Or a a good friend calls it a sonogram .  Yep he thinks he is correct.  ). It is definitely no dog.  Definaty fast enough for my standards.  For me speedy designs allow me to shoot the heavier weight arrows from my lightweight bows until I can get back up in weight.

Great bow!  Out for now.  Hunting stories later.
Brant

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Thanks Allan.  I blush.

Mery Christmas from the Great Northwest corner of Louisiana!  Early this morning St Nick left the Reindeer and sleigh in my barn and borrowed my jacked up little red Jeep..  The wind is howling and rain is blowing sideways!

I do wish you and your family a great Christmas day and take time to remember who we are really celebrating.  The birh of my savior, Jesus Christ pand I hope you let him be yours too.

I'll add more about Sofia here.  She has.been on a couple of bunts with me but no luck with the deer.  Just a couple of ice hours in the woods with some stumping arround .  Really enjoying this bow.  Put some corn out. In a pig spot and if it stops raining we may hit it in the morning.

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Best of luck on the hunt and Sophia....

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
Well, no pigs this morning but we are finally getting some colder weather. It even snowed a little last night.  I sat the corn a while and then snuck arround a bit but  no piggies.  After arriving home I decided to take a couple more shots before packing her back up.  Target but about 25 yards with white spot the size of golf ball. First shot was real close with a field point. 2nd shot with VPA broadhead was right next to the first.  Dead pig if it was a pig.  So I'm trying one more spot in the morning and then will send her on her way.

I would like to see a 60" version.  

These are 2 changes i would make if ordering one to my specs.  Neither are deal  breakers for me however. I shoot holding the bow straight up and down more often than not, I would like to see the sight window cut straight up a little more.  Also, on the back of the grip portion of the riser I would round the corners a little more so it feels more like a 2 day old bar of soap.  Most bows have grips like this one I can live with this one.  But I have  been known to take a file to 1 or 2  if it is just enough to break my consintration.

That's my take on a fine bow and have really enjoyed getting to know her.  I know my spelling, typing, and crammed is worse than the average 1st grader's.  If any of it has offended you or left you confused, then consider yourself among a large group of those whom I have left feeling that way.  Please accept my apology.  I will end this as an old friend would end our safety meetings.  "Just remember, don't tear up anything and don't get hurt!"
Brant

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Brant
Thanks for the positive and honest review and appreciate all that is said.  I take it all serious and look at each and everyone's feedback, so that I can better my craft.
Good shooting and thanks for being apart of this and also to the first two fellas,
Dave

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
hey Brant, you dont happen to live close to Bodcau at Haughton do ya?
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Dave, thanks for the opportunity.  
I have merely offered an opinion and have never designed a bow before so my suggestions could be unfeesable.  Also, when your bored, work on a 2 pie e takedown!

Tom,
I am about an hour and 1/2 southwest of there.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
oh ok. I worked there when I was in college. just curious.  :)
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Never even been there but know some who talk about it.  If you know where Toledo Bend Lake is, I am only a few miles from the both end.

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Brant
That two piece is something I have been thinking about.  Once I get the one piece form done then I will think about it.
Good shooting
Dave

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
I lived just up the road from LSUS back then. I remember the name but thats about it. Many moons ago. If Im ever over that way though I'll send ya a PM first. Maybe we could sling a few. If Richard Mcmullen is still up there he might know a place we could go chase some hogs. He's a heck of a trad bowhunter.
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
The recurve was sent on its way Friday morning. Enjoyed my time with it and believe this new bow will be a nice seller for Dave.

Come on over Tom.  I might have some pigs needing chased.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
sounds great. thx Brant  Happy New Year to you and yours
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Brant
Thanks for the review and look forward to the next in line reviews.
good shooting

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
The bow is in sunny CA. now. It arrived in perfect condition this AM. I will be shooting it Sunday morning. Those 3d's better look out! I will get a chance to " air it out" on the range. It sure is a pretty bow and it draws real smooth for me.
The grip fits my hand real,good, I like a lower grip as compared to the high grip. My hands are not real big so I was glad to see the grip does not have a lot of palm swell.
Thanks Dave for the chance to shoot this bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©