3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What finger tab works best for you?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What finger tab works best for you?
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Bateman cordovan
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
This is getting monotonous.

Bateman in split finger, and cordovan of coarse.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I make my own tabs. I shoot three under so I make a plain tab with no split.  I bought a 1/2 hide of light saddle skirting from Tandy(around 12 oz. leather). I also bought a couple of 1 sq. ft. pieces of Horoween cordovan. The cordovan cost more than the saddle skirting.  I cut the tab body out of the saddle skirting. I skive the end of the tab to taper the thick saddle skiting down to almost nothing. A small piece of cordovan is sewn 1/2 way back on the tab and extends out beyond the tab body. I shoot off of the pads of my fingers 1/2 way between the tips and the first joint. The combined thickness of the saddle skirting and cordovan is very thick where I hold the string but tapers down to only the very thin cordovan where the string rolls off my finger tips on the release. This gives me a very clean release and yet gives my fingers plenty of prtection from the string. It takes a while for the saddle skirting to break in but once it does it is very supple. The cordovan just gets slicker and slicker with use. I shoot between 10 and 50 arrows out of various bow almost every day and I have a tab that is a about 9 months old that shows no signs of wearing out with several thousand shots from it. I have a couple of Kodiak Magnums that I shoot at my draw length of 28+" with no finger pinch or discomfort. I have tried a couple of different commercial tabs but my own are far superior, at least for me anyway

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
I use a SAM also. It's what I started out with more years ago than I want to admit..never saw the need to change.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I am keeping count.

6 x E.W Bateman
5 x Wilson Black Widow
3 x Saunders
3 x Home made
1 x Neet
2 x Sam
1 x 3 Rivers 4050x

8 x Cordovan
4 x Calf hair
2 x unknown
1 x Super leather

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I am keeping count.

6 x E.W Bateman
5 x Wilson Black Widow
3 x Saunders
3 x Home made
1 x Neet
2 x Sam
1 x 3 Rivers 4050x

8 x Cordovan
4 x Calf hair
2 x unknown
1 x Super leather

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by hgsnpr:
Black Widow, super leather, split finger.  Bought two over two years ago and they are still going strong.
I like the BW tabs as well.  Can't justify the price of a BW bow but their tabs fit well.  I add a finger spacer.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
It looks more like 5 unknown/not mentioned facing

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Finger no pinch spacer added on a BW tab nicely done. How does the Super leather work, is it slick.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Really happy with the Eichler tab...

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I've recently changed from a BW to a SAM. The SAM protects the fingers real well. For me, it's perfect. I also used the Bateman, but didn't care for how thin it was.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
I have to agree with the Saunders, great tab. Slick and last forever, well if I never lost them that is .

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
3 eichlers.,,.so far the best, when I owned my shop I sold all the ones mention and  I'm not a fan of any particular endorser, I love his tabs.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I've shot several different types over the years, but prefer Fred Eichler cordovan tabs. They are thin and provide a good feel of the string, which I like. They also hold up extremely well (don't wear out).
The work praises the man.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Saunders PAK tabs for me.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned the cordovan tabs made by Scott Teaschner. I have 4 of them and think they are the best I have ever used. I also Like the Bateman cordovan tabs and have several of those, although they have not seen much use since I got the tabs from Scott. I have been shooting one of Scott's tabs for a year, and it is good as new. I only bought the others to make sure I always have one, even if I lose a couple. I had Scott put kangaroo backing on mine, but it's not necessary, especially with bows below 50 pounds. When shooting a 60 or 70 pound bow, I like the extra padding.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
I stopped looking for finger protection when I bought my first Cavalier elite from 3Rivers. I have two and love them. I don't use the finger spacer or chin flat. I shoot 3 fingers under.

I know they are salty but I've been using the same one for more than two years. My back-up simply stays stashed in my pack in case I drop or forget my go-to while hunting.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
I tried two different tabs when I went traditional, including the Neet calf hairtab and a plastic tab with elastic finger band (brand?).  I ended up going with a glove, and settled on a 3Rivers Duraglove.  

This summer i tried a tab a again but could not get a consistent release.  I ordered a Fred Eichler tab based on product reviews but was worried about not having a finger spacer.

It took a few weeks of shooting tab only, but I feel like I get a much smoother release with the Eichler tab.  I was afraid it would be too thin, but my fingers hold up well shooting this tab.  Its thinness lets me feel the string without feeling pain.

I am definitely a fan of the Eichler tab and will be buying a backup shortly.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
saunders mono tab in small. the medium and large are a little thicker. i open up the finger hole with a razor blade so it fits my finger. i then back it with 3mm neoprene.

super slick, comfy and never wears out. tried a bunch, but this works best for me.

second would be dan toelke's tab
third would be cordovan

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
I've always preferred the Black Widow super leather tabs. I shoot 3 under but I use one made for split finger and one made for 3 under and they both work great. The one made for split, I've had since the '90s and it's my back-up tab, still works though.

These are extremely tough tabs that last like, forever. I've been very pleased with them.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©