3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow rest wear?  (Read 182 times)

Offline JMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow rest wear?
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
I have been shooting a rt handed 60" 55#  bob lee signature recurve for a couple months and have noticed the LT edge of the leather rest is wearing down at a good rate.  I use gold tip 55/75 arrows with 5" parabolic Lt wing feathers I don't really notice this wear pattern on bows i have used in the past.   Does this seem ok?
jeremy

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow rest wear?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Jman,

This is the "Shooter's FORM Forum." Your question will be better answered on the Pow Wow since you are asking about equipment.

I don't know what a "LT" edge of the leather rest is so can't help.  Pictures always help.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I was wondering if he might have been asking whether problems with improper shooting form can cause premature or unusual shelf rest wear.  I'm guessing it probably could, but I'm also guessing it may be more of a problem with arrow spine as opposed to any kind of form problem?

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
It would typically be more of a shaft spine, bow tuning issue but could be attributed to excessive or extreme string torque from release as well, especially if it is not consistent.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline JMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
The gold tip carbon 55/75 cut to 30.5 should be the proper spine for my bow right?  I either use my 55# or 60# bow.  Should I increase the arrow weight or switch to the 75/95's?  I dont want to order new arrows again and not shoot good again.  My shooting was not good at all this year.  The arrows would not group for me, but I could group my cedar logs.
jeremy

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Some wear is normal.  Difficult to say whether what you're experiencing is normal or not.  Regardless, if the arrows are spined correctly, and they seem to be if you're getting good arrow flight, you might raise the nock point a bit.  That will provide better clearance at the shelf. Might also check the leading edges of your feathers for roughness.  It's a good idea to put a drop of glue there to hold down and smooth out the leading edge.  Sometimes a little increase in brace height improves clearance as well.  Might check your brace height to see if it's dropped some.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
It will be easier to see what you are asking about if you could post a picture or two.
James Kerr

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
I'm assuming that with a 60" bow, you're not drawing past 28"?  There are several things you can do to increase spine if you need to: shorten the arrows and add weight to the nock with a Gold Tip nock adapter and internal weights. 29" would be a good length arrow for a 28" draw, and would stiffen the arrow quite a bit. I don't think you need 7595's. But then I don't know if you need stiffer shafts either; it could be something else.

Are you drawing with a split finger string grip?  Sometimes pressing down on the nock with the index finger can cause problems.

Are you sure you're not torquing the string or the bow?  That is a common cause of erratic arrow flight.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but it helps a lot in working out form issues if you can practice with a light, maybe 40#, bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©