3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Parting with your first custom bow  (Read 495 times)

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
Parting with your first custom bow
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I am contemplating sending my first custom bow on down the road.  I was curious if some of you were pemanently attached to your first custom or if its just another page in the book of bows you've owned.

My first coustom was the second bow I bought after shooting for about 6 months, this was a little over 5 years ago.  Now I own about 13 or so bows, 3 are custom made for me others are 2nd hand customs and general productions.  Since that first 62in custom I lean toward shorter bows in the 54-58 range.  I have also settled into the high 40s and low 50s for draw weight; the first is 56lbs.  I no longer shoot the longer heavier bow and am thinking about selling it for $ toward a 60 2pc by the same bowyer.  I know have a child and the wife and I haven't had a raise at work in over 5 years so paying for a new bow straight up ain't in the cards, plus I'm starting to wonder why I 'need' so many bows.

Offline Cedar&Flint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Parting with your first custom bow
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I've got two vintage Robertson's that I can't handle the weight anymore. I should try and sell them, but they're so full of memories that every time I go to do it I back out.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Only bow I am really attached to and will not sell was my very first one given to me as a Christmas present almost 40 years ago - bear kmag.

Several others have come and gone - love trying new bows so the current "go to bow" is most likely temporary!     :D
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I've had a couple bows I've regretted selling over the years but overall, and it may seem a bit harsh, I've always looked at my bows in the same way I would a tool - something I use to get the "job" done.    :)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
My first traditional  bow was a Asbell Custom Bighorn order in 1989 after longing for one for a few years, I finally made the plunge and paid $436.00 for the bow, a 6 arrow quiver and a carrying case a lot of money back then. I started off over bowed not having anyone to mentor me at time and order it 63#@31” draw lol time has proven I neither have a 31” draw or shoot 63# effectively.  But through it all it was with it I learned (trial and lots of error) and took my first deer after a # of years and built a ton of memories with her.

I have contemplated putting her on the classifieds but between mine apprehension of parting with a dear friend and especially my wife knowing what she has meant to me over the years and her desires to pass it down to my Son, I believe i’ll never sell.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:

I have contemplated putting her on the classifieds but between mine apprehension of parting with a dear friend and especially my wife knowing what she has meant to me over the years and her desires to pass it down to my Son, I believe i’ll never sell.
I would sure keep that bow and pass it down if I were you.  Those kinds of things become more priceless as the years pass.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I have one I built for my father in law 22 years ago this Christmas.  He passed six years ago, I will never let it go, way to many great memories.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
My first was a college graduation gift from my Dad and it was also the bow I took my first Trad deer with.  It won't be going anywhere except to my son who's 6 right now.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
My first custom/semi-custom was a Dan Quillion Patriot.  Nice bow, but at 70# it was beating the crap out of me trying to shoot it.

I sold it and bought a production 55#@28" Dream Catcher (Yakima Shop) when they first came out.  The Howatt is quieter, prettier, lighter & sleeker, and in every way a better bow IMHO.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to order my first custom bow in a low drawweight. It is still the bow I shoot the most.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
My first Custom was a Fox High Sierra in 2001. I parted with it three years and two weeks ago. (Yikes, must have been traumatic to remember it so well.)

I bought that bow new after seeing it first at the KY Klassic in Somerset, KY and then again at Cloverdale, IN.  I wasn't even hunting with a recurve again ...yet -- didn't start in earnest until 2010.

Of course this was a "stock" bow so not really customized for me. However, it was of woods I like (Shedua and Osage) and of couse the correct length and draw weight.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:00 AM »
I still have my first one(second bow I owned) and not ready to let it go... but just traded my second custom bow.... And I'm happy!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
I'm with some of the others above in that my first few customs were in 89 and I was way over bowed in #'s. I have long sense passed them on to younger and stronger archers at good prices and picked up more in what I like to shoot. If you look closely at the Classifieds you will note there is no shortage in very nice customs that are high in draw weight. Besides a new bow in the mail is always a good thing.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »
I sold my first and regret it - Widow MAV, my Dad got it for me when I was a bit younger and he's gone now.  Sold it because I needed the cash in college.  It's the only bow I ever felt attached to, other than that a bow is just a tool to me.  I can go through a hundred and not think twice about it, like a pair of boots.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Still have my first custom ordered-made longbow. It is a Massie Archery, black walnut and hickory, 64" and 54# @ 26". Named it "Sweet Sue" in honor of my bride of 32 years. Jeff hand delivered this bow to me at a 3D shoot in Salado, Texas in April of 1992.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Ive never been attached to a bow. To me its just a bow. Theres a million of em out there. That being said, I do have a couple I wish I hadnt sold just because I havent found one that shot the same since.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
So from the above I think the general consensus is it all depends on how you got it, who gave it to you, or just memories in general.  The bow I killed my 1srt deer with is here to stay.  I have killed a few critters with this one...one is kinda special but the memory is with other events of the day not the bow.  I always remember that day when I see the pic of the deer, I dont think about it when I see the bow.

Still thinking on it though.  Thanks for the thoughts.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I still have my first recurve that was made for/by me.  I had help from a friend back in high school when I built it.  I cut his grass and watched his kids to pay for it.  I took my only deer and turkey to date with it.  I've never thought of selling it.

Now I have bought other bows and always felt like I was "cheating" on my recurve.  So those have been sold without second thought.

I am however starting to build osage bows and again, I love the process of shooting something I made, but I see my recurve sitting on the shelf and feel aweful inside.  I don't know, I'm not usually like that with stuff.  But this is different.

I say hang on to it.  The minute you mark your ad "sold" you'll feel terrible.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I hate selling bows, but sometimes it makes sense.  I shoot the same bow all the time so why do I need so many?

Because I can't stand to sell them...lol.  All but one of my bows were bought used, but they are fabulous examples of one person's work.  All would be considered "premier" bows and even though I rarely shoot them...they are still mine.  I can say "I have one of his...so and so made that one...I'll bring in my xxx so you can give it a try...".  When some of the bowyers working today retire their bows will be classics...and I'll have one.

The Blacktail I just got is my first custom "made for me" after a lifetime of archery and used bows.  To say it's not going anywhere would be an understatement.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
I still have my first custom. A Brackenbury from 91. Too many memories and its still too good to let go of.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©