3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Assault + Sticks pack up, thanks KSdan  (Read 484 times)

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf Assault + Sticks pack up, thanks KSdan
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Dan (KSdan) had posted here recently about how he climbs using the Lone Wolf Assault hang on stand.  He also had shown a picture of how he packs his stand and sticks using foam blocks and it looked really compact and quiet.  Well after a couple of PM’s for further directions I put together my packing process to alleviate the tangle of straps and noise in my pass method.  Which consisted of the stand with my pack on my back, the sticks nested together and slung over the stand and pack with a strap and then at that time my Safari quiver. Constantly being choked and clanking through the woods   :help:  

So in following his advice I attempted to copy his system.  He uses some type of foam blocks and I didn’t ask him where he obtained them.  I’m sure there are many options out there for the foam blocks. Below is what I did for mine.

The blocks were made by using a sleeping bag pad cut into 6”X21” strips and gluing together 8 strips and then cutting in half to make to blocks approximately 6”H X 10.5" L X 6”W

And with that I thought I would do a pictorial for others if they desired to glean anything from it, so the next few post will be a step by step in pictures, thanks Dan!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Assault + Sticks pack up, thanks KSdan
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
First the basic stand, note I have modified mine but cutting off approximately 4” of the seat post (liked it better at a lower hight).

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
One thing I did  to add comfort and make it a lot easier to pack in f traveling a long distance was to add a set of military surplus pack straps and a lumbar support $26.00 with tax, but well worth it!

The upper pack straps attach by a buckle device the lower ends of the straps and the lumbar support is attached using Zip Ties.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
The stand and all of the components to be packed.

Next series of photos are the blocks and the necessary notches.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Next, putting it all together...

Step one placing the foam blocks, first one

Second one

Next step is to attach the stands securing strap to the versa button and make a loop as shown to slide the sticks under and then into the foam notches.  You will see it is easier to do this now then to wait till after you have all the sticks loaded and then try and secure the strap for cinching.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Next slide the sticks into place under the strap loop and into their notches. The Y mount or claw that go’s against the tree will rest on the seat cushion and the other end will hang below the stand with the foot pegs flipped to the side and out of the way of each other.

Cinch the strap tight now.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I have an extra ratchet strap that I used to secure the stands base to the tree after hanging it, I use it now to secure the sticks to the stand platform as shown.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Here’s everything together to give you a idea as to what it looks like packed and ready to go.

Sorry for the last two they were self timed photos and the focus was off    :saywhat:   .

Not sure if the straps would be better attached to the opposite end and the stick ends pointing up and behind my head, time will tell.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Perfect.  Though I wear the stand turned the other way around.  I also felt the buckles. And I just use a couple bungee cords and nothing ever works loose- while I can easily stick extra clothes under the bungees.

Great work. You will love it.  Wear a turkey vest with everything in the same pockets all the time.  Been doing this for 15+ years.  One time up the tree, 10 min. or less. Mobility and never need set foot in woods until you are ready to hunt a spot.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Dan,

The only item not on the stand is my pack and this usually add another 10#, where did you get your turkey vest and can you post pic’s of it?  I looked for one while in the Surplus store for a vest of some type to pack in the extras but didn’t see anything suitable.

As for which way to wear the stand,  I was unsure which way to mount the straps will play around wit it and see what works best, thanks for the tips.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
What do you do with the  big foam blocks after you're set up?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Looks interesting... as with Dan, I would also change the orientation of stand so the widest part of the platform is at you lower back.

With the widest part of the platform at your upper back, it could inhibit you coming to full draw (if an opportunity arises while backpacking in) as the back of your arms could hit the platform. In addition, if you squatted down, it looks like the climbing sticks would possibly poke you in the back of the legs.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Curt,

I haven’t used the set up yet, but Dan said to just hide them at the base of the tree.  He never leaves his stand overnight and pack out at the end of the hunt.

Don,

There is space between the sticks and my body, but i’m thinking you guys are correct and will change the orientation later on today.  My thoughts were bumping my head with the sticks or hanging up on brush, but i can adjust the straps to lower the stand down and keep the sticks lower.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
That's an old school, lone wolf hang on.  The best method I have come up with is a have a badlands 2200 pack, my clothes go in, food ect. The stand will strap to the back and so will the sticks. I hunt public land and walk for miles, move all the time.

The way the pack carries, I never no it's back there, and have everything I need, I use pack the standard sticks, the a back pack on the stand, it killed my shoulders, not anymore.

Plus a double bull blind will fit in the bat wings on the pack.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Not to mention, the cape and horns and meat ride in the back after you make the harvest, hide the stand and sticks, come back get the rest of the meat and stand, ect.

Done.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks for posting this John...I have a Lone Wolf with sticks to that I havnt used in a while. I think with the straps and blocks it would make it quiet and easy to carry.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
After some of the suggestions on the proper way to carry the stand I re-configured the strap orientation to carry the stand with the small end at the head position. here the new arrangement works better and does have more freedom of movement.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
I guess the sticks don't nest on the older stands as they do with the newer ones? I would prefer to have any extra stick length hanging below the stand. I can see you getting hung up as you try to duck beneath branches etc?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Steve,

Look on the first page for that configuration, i’m trying it both ways to see what works best.  The arrangement with the sticks up does ride better and give alot more range of movement if a shot is afforded during walking.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
I must be missing something - why not just stack the sticks and put them on the stand as the stand and sticks are designed to do? I find that to be very quiet and secure.  I usually carry five sticks and the stand, along with a safety rope.  If I need to carry a pack, I tie it onto the stand.  

Dan Brockman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©