3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who has a Duluth pack?  (Read 284 times)

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Who has a Duluth pack?
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Hey guys, I am looking to get a new pack and I don't want a camo pack, I want to buy a good rugged pack and was wondering about the Duluth pack. What do you think? Is it waterproof? Thanks for any input.
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline Loy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has a Duluth pack?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Kenny, I have a lot of experience with, and tremendous respect for Duluth Packs. As a wilderness canoe trip outfitter in northern Minnesota we used them exclusively.  However, they were not waterproof.  If we needed to waterfroof the bag we added a heavy 6 mil plastic liner.  We tried several "waterproof" packs, but found them to be heavy, less durable, and overall just didn't have the utility of the Duluth Pack.  The Duluth Pack design has been in use in the North Woods for a very long time and is I believe the best choice if you need to move a lot of heavy/bulky gear.

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I've had one since the first year I went to the BWCAW (MN/CA Border) when I was 7 - so about 42 years ago!

If they still make them like they used to (which is how they advertise) they are an extremely durable, canvas pack.  Mine is not waterproof as they were designed to have a waterproof liner placed in them.  I also used a waterproofing spray on mine.

Mine is their #2 Canoe Pack and is basically one compartment with a map pocket - which has a clear face to it so you can see it while paddling.

The only down-side to them that I found is that it is heavy compared to some of the newer materials used.  On the other hand - that heavy-duty canvas material is probably why it is still around and in great, useable condition after many years of hard use.

I know they make many different pack models now - so I'd think you could find one to fit your needs.

There are probably several TG sponsors that have packs that are not camo too. I know Bison Gear does.  I have a wool Selway pack sold by the original company that I think eventually became Bison Gear - and it is a very high quality pack - but not waterproof on its' own.

Good luck with your search - I'm sure you will get other guys giving you some more opinions.

Merry Christmas!

Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I have them and agree with Loy. They will certainly outlast most nylon packs. Waterproof is also a double edged sword depending on your application. I would rather have a breathable bag and put in a waterproof liner for my stuff. I also like Frost River packs and the Filson daypack if you want more options.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Classic sportsman otters a pack that according to the description is a duluth pack with wool plaid. Sweet looking bags. Been thinking if picking one up. Might take one home if I see them at the kalamazoo expo in january. Lol
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Are you talking about a daypack, backpack or canoe pack? Duluth Pack is known for it's canoe packs, of course.  Though those packs are OK for portaging, you wouldn't want to carry a full no. 4 Duluth pack very far on a hunting trip.  I haven't kept up with their backpack designs, but I agree with the others who have already commented, the heavy canvas is very durable and rugged, and fairly water repellent.  In a hunting day pack, the canvas will be rather noisy.  Of course, so is most nylon.

I agree with Bigbad that Frost River and Filson are also excellent packs.  I believe Duluth Pack changed hands a few years ago.  The lead designer/sewer at Frost River previously worked at Duluth Pack.  He knows his stuff.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
I have several Duluth Pack products and you can't beat them for their intended use, canoe camping. They are heavy, durable and over priced but also made in America.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
PM me if you have any questions.  They are very durable, I have used them for years on solo wilderness trips, my last one was 32 days.  Most of the trips were in north western Ontario in the heart of the Boreal forest ... about as wild and alone as you can get.  

Dultuh Pac will fix what needs fixing for free ... and again, jsut plain tough traditional stuff.  Duluth packs are the only packs I use.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
I think you should check out frost river.  They make a sweet pack.  I want their Isle Royal Jr.  They used to be workers at Duluth and broke off to form their own company.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 04:16:00 AM »
the Duluth #4 is a good pack for large fluffy light weight items. I have every canoe pack that they make. I use the #3s off canoe season for my huntmore chairs, and my #4 for winter weight clothes and sleeping bags.  My rustrum with the basket is our food and gear pack for hunting and canoeing. Some of our #3s have a waste belt added, but all of them have the tump straps. the strap takes the weight off the shoulders and allows the skeleton strength handle the weight.  with an injured back like I have, it is the only way to go, even my canoes have tump straps to take some of the weight off of the shoulders.

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Im a fan of frost river myself, not that duluth is bad in any way, from handling both i decided frost river was a nicer pack for the money. and frost river has a lot more pack styles and options to choose from.  but canvas packs are much heavier than modern packs, but lets face it, I dont think anyone around here is scared of doing things the hard way  :)

Offline Silvertip Marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I just bought the "Rambler" to use as my hunting/shed hunting/canoe trips.  Very well built and plan on using it for years.  Have a great Christmas!!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
A little pariffin wax and a heat gun to melt the wax into the canvas will waterproof them very well. Not 100% but almost and only because you can't completely seal the closures.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
i swear by my pack. i have had the same one for near 20yrs and have beat it to absolute death. im not just talking back woods hunting...im talking mountain biking, hiking, camping ect. i have had many boned out animals in there. as far as water proof, the canvas itself is not. but when you buy a pack tell them you want one of the poly bag/liners. these were made to be canoe country packs. nothing like a duluth pack. a bit expensive but the quality sells itself. i bet i go in the store several times a month, man i love that store!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
oh, and the frost river packs are great too. i think they have more eye appeal, i really like my summit pack from F/R. but as far as rugged wear and tear they are different animals. the frost river is made of a thinner oiled canvas.  both great packs made in my home town.

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
It is really hard to hunt out of a canoe at this time of year, my cocker spaniel won't pull it, my wife won't pull it and I find myself thinking about a Bdub trip.  Been going to Quetico for years, no bowhunting in there. I met a longbow shooter on a fall trip, 15 years back. He had a moose tag.  I think that the Bdub moose tags should be reserved for traditional archery only, then more people could get the moose tags. Oh yes, sticking to the thread, in cold conditions the basic Dultuh pack material is quieter than the oiled/waxed bags.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Not really familiar with them, but from the pics I've seen, they look heavy,bulky, and uncomfortable, like they would flop around alot. What is it about them that you like? Also wonder why its important that it not be camo ? I guess I'm just too practicle, I go with comfort and practical usefullness over a certain brand or look.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 02:34:00 AM »
Randy Canoe packs are just meant to lug a lot of gear from one portage to another, so in effect they are bulky and akward, but both Duluth and frost river make packs that are much more practical for the hunter and outdoorsman.  and yes waxed canvas is heavier than many modern materials used in backpacks but it will also outlast many of those materials by years the are packs that will become companions.  and as for the lack of camo, well Im guessing that just boils down to nostalgia for me, same reasons I like wool jackets....and traditional archery for that matter  :)

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Had good luck with both Duluth pack and their down the street competition frost river .  My current go to is the frost river isle royal it fits my 215# frame nicely

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
I don't own one but have used them twice for canoe trips in the BWCA. They are OK for short portages but I would not want to carry them for any great distance. As I recall bulky is a word I would have used to describe them- I don't recall the weight of them. It has been a few years since I last used them.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©