3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far can they go?  (Read 361 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How far can they go?
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Just wondering how far you have SEEN a deer go when shot through the heart?  We all tend to think the heart shot is the perfect shot, and it no doubt is a killing shot, but how far have you witnessed a deer run after the hit?

I made a dead center heart shot on a large doe three years back and watched her charge off through the corn field for right at 245 paces before she fell over.  How about yours?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far can they go?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I shot a doe that cut and ran at least 90ish yards and fell over completely expired. She was 60 yrds from me when she died but I could tell she cut over at least another 30 yrds becaude of where I found my arrow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
I had a big bull elk go only 40 yards with a 3 blade through his heart. Deer the same, 40-50 yards. I like 3 blades.

I'm sure it all depends on how spooky the deer is. Years back I zipped an arrow through the lungs of a mature doe. She only went 5 yards, looked back at the arrow sticking out of the ground, then fell over.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
pure heart shots can be a long track.
I had one go about 80yds with a 1 1/8" 3 blade hole right thru the heart and nothing else important.
Happened to be with a compound, but equipment in this case doesn't matter.

For that reason my favorite shot is a low double lung missing the heart entirely.

Nice low (fast acting) drain holes and a working pump to make the trail. Not to mention lungs don't work well with holes in them.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
In my experience heart shot deer don't seem to bolt and run with the same determination that lung shot deer do. Several of my heart shot deer just walked a few steps and fell over. One fell over right where I shot him. I thought I missed and shot another arrow, just when the arrow was nearing him, he fell down making my second shot high. Last years buck had an X through his heart from a Eclipse four blade. He ran about 40 yards and then stopped and fell over a few seconds later...

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Furthest I have had was about 120 yards with heart and one lung perforated.

Here's a thought.  Say a deer is hit and takes to flight.  Deer can move at 30 mph, but from zero and in the woods we'll take half that and figure 15mph effective.  15M/hr x 1 hr/60min x 1 min/60sec x 5,280ft/M = 22 feet per second.  So, 220 feet in 10 seconds.  To cover 120 yards only takes a wounded deer 16 seconds.

After I take a shot I mentally count off the seconds.  My limited survey seems to be that after a double lung shot the crashing usually stops in seven to ten seconds.  I have also had deer take a single leap and stand; only to keel over in place (THAT is a great event).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
I had  a doe I shot low in the heart go roughly 130 yrds wasnt a dead center heart shot and the trail was not what you would expect but for the last 30 or 40yds she was bleeding like a stuck hog.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Shot a deer in the heart and he ran 40 yards, stopped, looked around like he was wondering what had just happened and then he sank to the ground. Shot a moose in the heart....3 steps later she was down. The deer was shot with a four blade Phantom, the moose with a 3 blade Razorcap.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I have had the other extreme, that the heart shot runs like heck.  Remember, a hard running deer can do the 100 yard dash in seconds flat.

ChuckC

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
My longest trail was a heart shot doe and even though I knew where she went down it was still at least 120 yards from where I shot her. Much prefer double lung when possible.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
I shot a doe through the heart with a 4 blade head (2 blade with bleeders) and watched her run off about 150yds and jump a fence. I was really worried that maybe the shot placement was not where I thought it was. I waited a while, got down and began tracking a GREAT blood trail the whole way. She laid dead about 20yds over the fence in to woods. She was in an open field when I shot her and I guess she just really wanted the security of the forest around her before she would quit!

So, about 170yds for me.

Bisch

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I've had them run from about 40yds..lots of zig, zaging..to about 120yds. Most I've shot kinda throw a front foot up and run wide open about 60yds.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
I have never shot a deer in the heart that I didn't get both lungs as well. All the deer that I have made a heart and double lung hit on didn't go over 30 yards. However the farthest I have had one run is only about 65 yards and that was with a pure gut hit. It just ran out there and laid down.
James Kerr

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Only heart shot for me went about 5 yards from where the arrow was and fell over.

Kinda funny it was dark,I found my arrow then decided I needed my tracker son. Got him he looked over the arrow stuck in the ground and shook his head.

Dumb Old Man.   :knothead:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
my first bow kill ever was a 5 point that weighed around 135 if I remember right. shot him with a Green Mtn Longbow and Wensel Woodsman right in the heart at 22 steps quartering away. He ran an estimated 200 yards. Not much blood and found him in a dry creekbed
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I had one that was calm when I hit it. I shot it right through the heart and it took two steps looked around and fell over. I had another one that went almost 100 yards. Most that were heart shot were between 25-50 yards.
USMC 82-86

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I had one make about a hundred yard dash across a snowy field (easy track job) and one that dead centered a tree on a full steam downhill run(30 yrds).
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
I have had heart shot deer go two steps and fall over but I have also had heart shot deer run over 100 yards.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
About 100 yards is as far as I have had one go and that was a buck and full tilt run till piled up. I have seen a cow elk that a partner shot go several hundred and pile. That was also at a dead flat out run.

God bless and Merry Christmas, Steve

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
How ever far they can get in under 10 seconds

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©