3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KOM or SI Wool Pullover Reviews?  (Read 200 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
KOM or SI Wool Pullover Reviews?
« on: December 26, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
i was thinking about getting one of these pullovers for some late season hunting. sounds like the are very warm which would be great, but i am curious how flexible they are.  i have a day one wool parka and it is great but pretty stiff.  I heard some wool is softer, but not sure.

thanks
mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Re: KOM or SI Wool Pullover Reviews?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
I have a few pieces of both KOM and SI wool. I think the wool is all of high quality, but my thoughts are as follows: the SI pullover (which I own) is a more useful design. It has a zippered chest pocket, Kangaroo pocket (handwarmer), concealed zipper front and double back yoke. There is also a double layer of wool over your chest, under the zipper, which serves to hold a pair of binoculars (or a call or whatever)nearby but out of the way of your bowstring when shooting. Ingenious. The KOM pullover is designed more as a tuck-in shirt with 2 chest pockets and no handwarmer. The front closes with buttons.
PS there is a 15% off sale on the SI shirt right now, making it very good buy.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I have several pieces of KOM gear and it is great stuff. If you want a wool pullover I recommend getting a heavy weight from Teresa Asbell and saving a bunch of cash. Also pick up one of her windblocker vest with it. I rarely wear my KOM since using Teresa's layering system. Her wool is not stiff at all.

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I own both pull over shirts and my go to is my SI mostly because of the kangaroo pocket and the collar has a better design. I do wear my KOM alot when snow is on because of the blowdown pattern. If I was purching new I would probably go with SI if I wanted a camo pattern but if camo wasn't a option needed then the Asbell wool looks like a good product for a great price and I plan on adding a piece of the Asbell wool to my closet of wool in the near future.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Lots of choices with Teresa:  http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

And a sponsor to boot.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
SI sounds like the ticket.

As bells are really not the design i m looking for.

I also saw a couple other KOM products like the rancher that might work.

Anybody else have some thoughts?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Couple of the Kim's are zippered. Looks like latest pullover is zippered. Huntrx - older version?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
I use mine year round!  In warm weather use cotton underwear, cool weather use silk, and in freezing temps use poly. Hows that for flexible? Stiff? I don't think so you can wear SI naked underneath.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I don't have experience with the item you are looking at, but IMO the wool is so similar, but I felt the KOM was more sturdy with stitching, and fit was better.  Just my opinion.  I sent back the garment I received because I didn't think it was up to snuff. That was 6 years ago.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
KOM Bowman for me is the best foul weather hunting garment I have owned. It is lined with a wind blocker that stops wind period. You should also look at Silent Predator, same wool as the old KOM, sewn in the same factory and its priced right.

Any of the high end wool will serve you well.

Offline Benner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I have both and I usually grab the SI.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I would get a good 2 way zipper for any heavyweight cold gear and pass the pullover design unless a light midlayer or mod temp outer layer was the intended use. With a heavyweight pullover, you will seriously overheat and sweat with anything beyond easy and slow walking where a zippered coat is more versatile due to ventilation options imho. Just me.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Couple of good points. Especially the zipper - maybe why they are going that route.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
BTW - don't plan on wearing naked but sounds like SI is alot softer than my day one wool camo. I am going to call SI today to see what they can send me - maybe test stuff?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Day 1 is not virgin wool. This is a difference. The KOM & SI breath better, but with less resistance to wind.  If you are stand hunting with short walks, the Day 1 is great.  I would never take it on any long hiking trip, you'll sweat to death.  The day 1 is kind of felted, very tight, and treated for water repellency. I like both, I use KOM when it's really cold though.  Like stated earlier, the bowman lined with wind stopper is great.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
So is SI or KOM softer less stiff wool?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Maybe there is a zip in the newer KOM pullover shirt, although their current info doesn't specify. I think both companies, along with Gray Wolf Woolens, have the best quality and heaviest wool out there. The Asbell wool stuff has a looser weave. It might be softer at first, but it works better as an insulating midlayer IMHO.

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Not all wool is the same or created equally.  I have KOM and there is nothing "stiff" about it.  It is quiet as you would expect wool to be.  It breaths and is very well made.  

I also have an asbell pullover that I wear almost daily in the winter.  With a cotton turtleneck I can walk around confortably all day with minimal perspiration.  I wear it around the house, indoors, no problem. With my KOM pullover...no chance chance of that, way to warm.

But...I bought the KOM pullover as an outter layer for sitting in a stand.  If the wind isn't blowing I don't want the windblocker.  When the wind is howling I  have a windblocker pullover that goes on over my base and mid layer...yet under my pullover.  

KOM uses buttons as they are replaceable in the field.  I prefer them to a zipper.  I can't speak for SI.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Sounds like I need to feel SI or KOM wool. Couple for sale in classifieds.

Thanks for all the info!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©