3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small Game: read an article that got me thinking...  (Read 476 times)

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
Small Game: read an article that got me thinking...
« on: December 26, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
I was thumbing through the current issue of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine at the book store while my lovely wife and I were doing a little post Christmas spending and I read a couple really interesting articles about small game. I'm curious to know what you seasoned guys use for the smaller stuff when the deer season ends. I've been stumping a lot since I moved back to NC using aluminums with six 5" full height feathers but seems like they slow down a bit too much. I've taken quite a few shots at squirrel with the same setup but the few times I have actually hit my mark the squirrel has beat me. So what do you guys use for squirrel, pheasant, bunnies, etc.?        :dunno:
Live and let live.

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small Game: read an article that got me thinking...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
You can trim those full height feathers down a little to speed them up

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I shoot regular fletch at squirrels and rabbits, and steel hex head blunts, judo points or old broadheads.  Flu-flus slow the arrow too much.  Squirrels often get out of the way before the arrow gets there or there's not enough energy left in the arrow to do the job with flu-flus. I try to limit my shots to on the ground or those in which a tree limb or trunk is behind the squirrel so if I miss, the arrow usually comes bouncing back toward me.  I only use broadheads for ground shots when I'm alone.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Heads:
*  RFA Talons for most shots
*  Judo points for ground shots where there are thick briars or grass behind the game

Arrows:
*  Regular fletched arrows for ground shots or shots with tree trunk as backstop
*  Flu-Flu arrows only for squirrels under 15 yards that are bellied down to a limb playing bump on a log AND in a location that I can't get a good backstop for my arrow

Reasoning:
Blunts work better in my experience than Judo's and I don't want to tear the meat up with larger broadheads so I use the RFA Talons as much as I can on squirrel and rabbit but will throw a Judo at them if it's a shot that is almost guaranteed to loose my arrow in weeds if I miss.  Regular fletched arrows shoot more consistent in wind, faster, and more quiet than flu-flu's.  This translates into more kill shots but I do keep a flu-flu for the occasional limbed tree rat because they are MUCH easier to find when you miss after being lobbed out into the middle of nowhere.

I practice with both regular arrows and flu-flu's and use the same arrows and weighted heads as I use for target work.  If I am taking out my bow-quiver I usually bring 3 Talon tipped regular arrows and 1 Judo tipped flu-flu.  If I am taking my back quiver it's usually because I plan to both hunt and stump shoot, then I'll usually take 8 Talon tipped arrows, 1 Talon tipped flu-flu, 1 Judo tipped arrow, and 2 Judo tipped flu-flu's.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
I'm thinking I might try making some flu-flus with just 3 full height feathers. I also saw a picture of regular arrows with a full length feather wrapped around the shaft just in front of the knock, looked like it'd work pretty well. Those RFA talons look pretty wicked.
Live and let live.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I use the same arrows I would use for deer, except with blunts or hex heads.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I just use reg 5" feathers and what ever old heads I have laying around, hex head blunt, old broad head, judo
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I know some don't like rubber blunts but they work for me at close range. If a squirrel gets caught between my blunt and a tree trunk it is lights out, plain and simple. For longer shots I would use the hex head or hammer or the game nabber. I have some magnus blunts that I have yet to try with the bleeder blades. They look wicked and fly great. I use regular fletch, as others have mentioned, flu flus might slow down too much and make too much noise. I like to find where they are feeding and sit and wait by a runway such as an old log. I might move slowly from place to place often getting shots from "chasers" as I move along. Right now in NC it is the squirrel rut and they are chasing.
Member NCBA

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Squirrel rut! I think I'm gonna go stalk some squirrels in Uwharrie tommorrow. Judo points and regular arrows seems to be a reasonable approach. I'll have a flu-flu in the quiver for the ones sticking to the limbs. Maybe it'll be squirrel stew for supper tommorrow. Thanks for all the info guys.
Live and let live.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
The small game quest is best!,,,   I use my normal 4 inch high back arrows.  I use wood and just recently got some pink GT's for ease of location.  I hunt rabbits, quail and grouse.   The points i use vary. Judos are great until you have to shoot thru rose bushes.  9mm cases on 100 grain points work.  I have some ancient points from 30 years ago. All work as do rubber blunts and commercial steel blunts
flu flu work on short range targets on the ground or air. I have to face it, i love hunting
SMall game.  Went this morn at 27 degrees and two inches of fresh powder
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I like flu flus with 3 feathers instead of six good compromise. Vpa sgt for heads

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I like flu flus with 3 feathers instead of six good compromise. Vpa sgt for heads

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Duke I have a traditional cut feather chopper that makes a slightly larger feather. It may be something for you to consider instead of flu flu's. Just a thought
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Traditional cut feather chopper? Do tell. Sounds like a trip up north to me.
Live and let live.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I like high back banana's for rabbits and squirrels in the tree's. They don't go as far as my deer arrows but still pack a punch.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I'll cut some up for you so you can try them out. Oh if you want to I am going to a 3d shoot this weekend. Pm me if you would like to go.
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Magnus I just put a few of your feathers on a Christmas present of mine. Man I love the way Turkey feathers look on a wood (looking) shaft. They're gonna be hard to find one day I'm sure but it's a small price to pay for elegance. I'm gonna be in touch with you down the road.
Live and let live.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Glad you like them. Try a fur tracer. Makes them easier to see. I use white but they come in many colors. I also offer dyed natural feathers.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
I forgot all about the shoot Todd. I've planned a trip with my lovely wife before school starts up.    :rolleyes:   I'll definitely try a few feathers though. Maybe next time I try to whack pheasants I'll have better luck.    :laughing:
Live and let live.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
My father in law just bought some used feathers and some had tracers, it blew my mind. Kinda like a mini flu-flu, or just for ease of finding afterwards? Seems like a bright pink would help find my beautiful arrows. Now I just have to sneak over to the flamingo exhibit at the zoo.
Live and let live.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©