3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First follow up to my 3D deer target experience (also posted in Hill bug thread)  (Read 331 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Ok so I've been shooting Hill style bows for a little over a month now.  In love with my Old Tom, briefly owned a Big5 and sold it back to original owner, and now have a Redman also to shoot along with the Old Tom.  

I posted about my experience switching over to a deer 3d target from only shooting at my bag, that was an ENLIGHTENING experience to say the least.  

Since I got back into trad I've become a full blown Toxophile and I have built myself a respectable little bow collection.  The Hill bug is the latest thing and I've been trying to dedicate myself to learning the bow style.

I tried my first "stump shooting" session or 'faux' stump shooting session yesterday on the property where I live, which involved kicking around a 10" foam ball that I spray painted bright red for visibility.  I spent over 3 hours kicking it all over the place and having it land uphill, downhill, flat ground and then shooting at it wherever it landed.  After pacing them out later, most of my shots ended up being 20-25 yds, and some 30 yds or so, which I'm finding seems like a pretty comfortable distance.  Here are pics of a couple of my best attempts...I would kick the ball, then where ever it landed loose a bunch of arrows at it...walk up, pull arrows, kick the ball again somewhere different and a different distance and repeat.

Let me just say, I really find shooting the Hill bows to be challenging, which is good, but it definitely is way different than shooting one of my bows that's got a locator style or recurve style grip and closer to centershot.  By the end of the day I was starting to get the grip adjusted in way that seemed to yield repeatable results and that pic of the 30ish yard shots was a result of that, that arrow that's in the ball was the first shot.  That shot was beautiful...everything worked, it was a 100% instinctive shot that somehow I just got right..crappy thing is I tried repeating it with the subsequent arrows and it wasn't easy, they all just skimmed over the top of the ball and around it nicking it.  Heeling the grip like everyone says seems key.  I ended up having the grip wedged real good in the crook of my thumb and the rear portion of my hand lower than my fingers up front, my thumb oriented quite a bit lower than my index/ring finger.  That seemed to yield the most accurate targeting.  Also, shooting these bows, they really DO like split finger.  I like to shoot 3under and it always works well for me on my close to centershot/ r/d/locator type longbows but let me tell you, on the Old Tom and Redman I experimented and they LOVE split finger, I just was soo much more accurate using that style with them.

I discovered pure instinctive a few months ago by trial and error and it is not easy to learn, my post on using the 3D deer target illustrated that.  I had the idea for the red foam ball as a good object to REALLY focus on, seemed to work and was a definite improvement over my bag target as far as teaching focus.  

One crazy thing I discovered shooting yesterday was that I ended up shooting BETTER if I quickened up my shot rhythm..I'm not talking 'snap shooting' per se, but more like just really trying to be fluid and fast nocking, half drawing, aiming and loosing.  Seems like it prevented my mind from getting distracted or something, I just tried to zero on the ball, nock, zero on the ball, half draw, full draw BAM!  Howard talked about the faster rhythm H.the Hway, I guess he knew what he was talking about     ;)      Crazy.  

The fact that I could get the arrows all very close to the ball, often skimming it just barely if not hitting it was confidence inspiring, I figure on a larger target area it would equal a decent hit.  Just gotta practice practice practice!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Like everyone said on my 3d deer thread, it definitely seems all about the focus.  That was the hardest part.  At one point I switched over and tried a little gap type shooting for a few minutes and while it was easier to ensure the mechanics of the shot were correct (anchor/draw/release), it was a whole lot harder to 'guess' the distance and hit the ball.  Before I tried that and after I switched back to instinctive 'guessing' didn't matter, you just focus, let the muscle memory take over and voila.  It's just really hard, yet still enjoyable of course, to be all on your own and having to be your own coach and critic.  I can't wait to go to one of the upcoming FL shoots so I can get some feedback from another human, positive or negative, LOL.  A 10" ball is dang small at 20-30 yds so I hopefully I'm on the right track as far as where my shots were hitting.  I just really really want to get to a point where I can stack em in a target like that without a second thought, but of course I know it's gonna take 1000s more shots and dedication before I get there.  I had so much fun though.  3 hours of laughs and good times.  Definitely planning on more sessions and some trips into the woods real soon to shoot at objects.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Mudd made a good suggestion that I forgot to think about yesterday-  the ball obviously was an improvement over the bag target and similar to shooting at the 3d deer, BUT I need to 'pick a spot' on the ball, yup gotta go for that next time.  Maybe tomorrow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Good idea there....mayhap put some spots on that thing and bam, ya got focus points.....I'm stealin that idea! I may start doin that in the woods with my kids.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Go to any strore that sells golf equipment and pickup some tees and a bag of orange or white whiffle balls. You can use the the tees to get the ball off the ground and over top of the grass. You can also hang from tree by some fishing line. You can focus on one the holes at closer range and on the center of the ball at farther ranges. The good thing about the wiffle balls is they light weight and most of the time you will not be able to stick it but make it bounce off. You will probably go through tees faster than balls.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Wiffle balls?  Now there's an idea...  thanks!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
I ve got one of those orange wiffle golf balls hanging in front my bag target that I painted black. The ball is hanging from the rafters of my shooting range.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Good stuff!!  Where is the original 3D post you are talking about....I'm interested.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Originally posted by archer66:
Good stuff!!  Where is the original 3D post you are talking about....I'm interested.
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123987
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Lol, I can tell from your first three detailed posts (roughly 13 minutes apart) that you're really getting into your Hill-style bows.  I'm enjoying (and share) your enthusiasm.

The idea about 'picking a spot' is important even if you don't physically make one on your target (most animals we hunt, after all, don't have spots).  Also be careful not to let the ubiquitous 'how's my form' thoughts creep into your regular shooting.  Form work is for the bale but practice shooting should be 'automatic'.  If you notice something not working quite right during your regular practice shooting, try making a note and working on it later at the bale.  But keep the pilot set on auto while doing the actual ball shots. And maybe working a little closer to your target can help you focus and see that 'spot' better.

Carry on, Sir!          :thumbsup:

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
TSP, I appreciate your insight on picking a spot, that makes sense to me and yes I shot again day before yesterday and noticed that I was more accurate the less I thought about it and just DID IT.  Cool.  

PS:  enthusiasm doesn't even cover it, LOL, I'm on a whole other level since I started, more like obsession, haha...I say there are far worse things to be obsessed about, ahahaha
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©