3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Ultimate Review... Bob Lee Ultimate that is!  (Read 1339 times)

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Ultimate Review... Bob Lee Ultimate that is!
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Okay... I must start off by saying that I am very blessed. I'm blessed to have a family that loves me, and that truly embraces how much traditional archery and hunting is a part of my life.

The journey began almost 1 year ago at the 2012 Kalamazoo Expo. My brother / Dad / Uncle drove up from PA to check out the show for the first time. My brother and I being die-hard Bob Lee fanatics, couldn't wait to check out their new line-up that was released since the last time we saw them at Denton Hill. That fall, the Envy / Smoke / Blaze / Natural line-ups were released and we were excited to check them out.

More exciting though, was the opportunity to handle the Legacy Show bow they had at the booth that sported the state of the art Stabi-Lock Attachment system.

The show was everything that we expected and more. The "more" was the opportunity to shoot the new "Bob Lee Ultimate", Rob's personal hunting bow, which also utilized the Stabi-Lock system.

The bow was 60" 51# @ 28", with a solid black micarta riser with bubinga veneers and accents. (The same bow pictured on the Bob Lee Ultimate WebPage)

I'm not certain, but I think that the facility janitor was called to the shooting range to mop up all the drool that my brother and I were puddling up on the floor. Never in my life have I had an experience like that while shooting a bow. Pure enjoyment, pure accuracy, pure bowhunting attitude... What else should I have expected from the Bob Lee Crew?!

Since Kalamazoo is perfectly placed smack dab in the middle of "cabin fever" season... the next couple months were rough. I dreamed of owning this bow, I searched to no avail for any information / reviews / pictures outside of the Bob Lee Website which I think I visited 100 times those months. So.... If anyone out there is like me, drooling and searching for information to read and then re-read as you dream of putting in your order for your ultimate, here is some more info and pics to drool over!!!

Okay, so let's fast forward to the June 2012 time frame. I decided to go for it. I'm buying an Ultimate. Phone calls and e-mails back and forth with JJ led to the agreement that I would wait until the end of July to finalize the build plan after a new stock of unique veneers arrived back at the shop to choose from. That time had come and gone, but when I closed my eyes, I pictured a pure hunting / stealth / killing piece of equipment... The bow from my dreams screamed Cross-Cut Camo Veneers!!!

The Bob Lee Crew had never had the need to source and utilize camo cross-cut veneers before, but that didn't stop JJ, Rob, & Bob!!! They dove in head first with excitment to help me attain my dream bow. A couple pictures back and forth of the sample veneers from his supplier, and the green light was given! I threw a decent down payment on the table and away we went!

60" - 51# @ 28" was the target... Just like the bow I shot at K-Zoo. I left the accent options for the riser and limb tips / caps up to JJ and Rob's imagination. I knew they'd tie it all together nicely, and a lot better than I could try to describe / picture in my head.

So now the wait began... The build was up and running, JJ was feeding me information, and I was chomping at the bit for that next picture to pop up in my e-mail. I was scrambling to try to raise funds to get the bow paid off, but with Christmas around the corner and two little dudes (4 and 2 years old) at home, money was tight coming into November / December.

I received a couple pictures one day of the camo-crosscut veneers all wet out during the glue-up phase... oh boy...! Into the oven already!!!

Then a couple updates on the limb taming / poundage... no pictures... dang-it.. its okay...

Then a confirmation that the limbs hit weight and are straight, a true works of art. "Perfection" as JJ put it... no picutres... dang-it...

Then confirmation that they probably would be in the spray booth soon.... still no pictures... dang-it... its okay...

Then a question asking if I'd want anything special written on the bow... Wait a minute... There has to be a couple coats of finish on the bow already if we are at this phase!!! Hell yeah!!

I asked JJ to write "Shemawnee" on the bow. I named the bow after my late father-in-law. He would use this term when describing a whitetail doe that he'd seen on stand. "I shot a big Shemawnee tonight"... He had a big influence in my life and hunting, I thought it was fitting.

Still no pictures...! Come on! Throw me a bone please!!!!!!

At this point, I still had not paid the bow off, so I wasn't wanting to be pushy asking for pictures or any information of the bow.

Side Story Alert:

Now we are 2 weeks out from Christmas. My brother-in-law falls in love with a stock bow on Bob Lee's site. His mom decides that it would be a great Christmas present for him. So she has me coordinate with JJ to have the bow purchased and sent to her house. Little did I know, 6 weeks prior she had my wife call JJ and pay off my Ultimate too!!!

JJ and Rob were in on the secret, and since I let them run with all the accents and overlays, they weren't dishing me pictures like they typically would to make the suprise that much greater! I couldn't picture what my bow looked like at all. Those dirty dogs!!!

Christmas morning, Travis and I are sitting watching everyone opening their gifts. I am anxiously awaiting Trav's turn because I know how much he is going to lose his mind... little did I know...

Two presents are pulled out from behind the couch... Identical shape and size boxes... One handed to me, one handed to Trav. "Open them together" my mother-in-law says..

Wait... what?!?! What the heck is going on!!

I literally lost it. You would have swore Trav and I just received our Red Rider BB-Guns... Wait... These are 10x better than BB-Guns!!

We were hooting / hollering / Hugging / Jumping around / Tackling our mom....

We frantically assembled our new toys, and out the door we went. What a morning!!!

First Off, My Wife and Mother-In-Law are saints. I couldn't thank them enough for this dream come true... I am truly blessed.

Secondly, JJ and Rob... I can't say enough about what they pulled off. They truly embraced this build with excitement, and got heavily involved with my dream bow christmas suprise... They pulled the wool over my eyes and played it so cool during all my questions... They are Dirty Dogs!!!

To make it even better, I opened a Great Northern Quick Detach quiver from my wife at my house Christmas morning before heading over to my Mother-In-Laws for our gift exchange. But the bezzles were missing?!

"Dang-it! I can't use it this weekend" is what I was thinking.

She ordered it from Bob Lee directly, so you can imagine my confusion as to where the parts would be...

Well JJ took it a step further and pre-assembled the bezzles on my bow prior to shipping it!! It was set up and ready to hunt!!! Did I mention they are Dirty Dogs?!?!

Thanks for allowing me to ramble here guys... This was just so special that I had to share. I can't begin to describe how much of a top-shelf operation the guys at Bob Lee are running down there. Truly phenomenal on all accounts.

Here we go... Camo Cross-Cut Limbs... First ones to be built on Bob Lee Presses...!

The beautiful limb tips. They did a great job bringing the limb tips all together with the limb veneers:

Limb Logos:

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Ultimate Review... Bob Lee Ultimate that is!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
The amazing Great Northern Quick Detach. Ofcourse a Bob Lee Logo to tie it all in!!!

Riser Picture with the quiver attached:

Bow Name:

Take a look at these accent overlays! Tied in the limb veneer coloration phases:

Solid Micarta Riser. The mass weight and stability of this riser is truly un-paralleled. It just feels right... Solid on target, and the arrow is gone before you can even think about moving the bow off target.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
If you want a recurve these bows are definitely one of the top choices, no doubt.  What a beauty!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Drool.  Drool.  

I've got a Bob Lee on my bucket list.  I have four of his early Wing works and he knew his stuff 50 years ago!  I'm just not sure about a Phenolic riser.  What's the weight on it?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Okay, now on to the meat and potatoes of this bow... The Stabi-Lock.

This attachment system is so freaking slick... Coupled with the quick detach Great Northern, I can literally have this bow taken down within 60 seconds, no problem.

The dovetail wedge attached to the limbs fit so sweetly into the dovetail cut-out of the riser it slides in like glass.

The detent balls find their home into small divuts within the riser, ensuring 100% perfect limb alignment.

Perfect limb alignment guarantees maximum efficiency as the bow is following through the arrow. This Stabi-Lock system + the extremely repeatable Bob Lee Grip + the stability of the riser is a recipe for deadly accuracy. The Ultimate is truly just that... The ultimate bow.

Riser / Limb Section:

Stabi-Lock Wedge Block: (Dual Detent for max alignment)

Riser Dovetail:

Picture Operation: You wouldn't believe how smooth and easy the wedge mates with the riser dovetail. The lead-ins are beautifully done, the surface clearances are held to an extremely tight tolerance, and the stablity of that beautiful "click" at the end of the limb's travel is just so awesome.

It is truly a "two finger operation". I can grip the riser, indicate the limbs into the dovetail, and pinch the limbs between my thumb and index finger, and fully seat the limbs with no effort. Smooth as glass. And I mentioned it above, the "click" noise is just the coolest sound ever. "Cutting edge" would be an understatement here guys...

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I owned a Bob Lee Classic take-down recurve for several years.  It also had the solid micarta riser.  One of the very best shooting recurves I have ever owned.  Sold it when I switched to longbows.  I have regretted that ever since....  Congratulations on your new bow!  Now post some hunting stories and a kill pic or two with it!  ~Steve

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »

This bow is truly my dream come true.

Holding this bow in my hands, I just feel like I can't miss.

I'm shooting 650 grain Beman MFX Classics, and this bow flings them like a rocket.

There is literally ZERO vibration. You have to double check to see if the bow actually went off it is so quiet and stable...!

If you're in the market for a new bow, please do yourself a favor and call down to JJ and Rob. They will take care of you. Top shelf operation, and they will do anything to make your dream come true.

I am one happy boy... I'm gonna go shoot now.

This thing is heading into the woods with me tomorrow. Watch out Shemawnees... I'm coming for you!

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Man, oh man. I gotta have one! That is just too sweet.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
SWEET!  Thanks for the pictures and the review!  Enjoy that bow!  :clapper:

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Does the stabil lock thing seem like it would be more likely to wear out after thousands and thousands of shots?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
You are a blessed man!! And your story was fantastic, I felt as if I was opening the boxes!!!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Too bad you're not excited about it!!!

Love the enthusiasm.....sweet bow BTW! Congrats!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
So Cool......gotta love "New Bow Day"!   :jumper:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Nice, really nice..........   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Awesome!!Many congrats

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Don't hold back tell us how you really feel.LOL
I have four Bob Lees I know I like them to.The grip just fits me perfect and really tough well made bows.Kip

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
StumpKiller - The weight is perfect for the Micarta. I am a fan of a heavy mass-weight bow in my hand so it feels really natural to me. I'm unsure of the actual value. I'm sure JJ or Rob would be able to tell you exactly what the riser weighs.

MRJSL - The stabi-lock is extremely solid. Once fully seated and the bow is strung, there is no movement between the surfaces. There will be little to no wear occuring at all. This bow will outlive me, thats for sure...!

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
MRJSL - I should elaborate on my previous statement. There is no movement between those surfaces even if the bow isn't strung. Once it fully seats, its in there for good.

I didn't want to give the impression that it had to be strung to be solid. It's solid once fully seated.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to put in my order for one in the next month or two... I've been wishy washy on lee vs. widow PMA, but this made up my mind.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
mrjsl - I'm glad I could help. I believe you've made the right decision.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©