3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: building rabbit habitat  (Read 777 times)

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: building rabbit habitat
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Paul, that's what i was gonna say.  The best way to attract rabbits around here is to plant a fabulous garden- the bunnies will shoe up in droves.

Tom

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Rather than pallets, I lay small logs (6-10") diameter parallel on the ground about a  foot or two apart, then stack a layer of logs (any size) across the top of the bottom logs and then pile your brush.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
A food source is key if you want a lot of rabbits.  Ladino clover food plots with brush piles nearby come to mind.  As said before, rabbits are creatures of the edge but a few brush piles back in the the timber away from the edge are beneficial at helping rabbits escape predators. Hadn't thought about the salt thing but that makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the tip.

If you harvest a few rabbits from your property every year, make an effort to control predators as well.  Trap a few or call a few  foxes, coyotes and bobcats.  It's a good way to extend your outdoor experience and benefits the bunnies.

It's refreshing to read a thread geared toward small game management.  I've been cleaning up some brush on my small farm and cutting a few cedars. Was planning on burning it but after reading this thread, I think I'll plan a couple late season work parties with my daughters to build some "rabitat"

Thanks, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
"rabitat"..I like that.  :thumbsup:

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Instant rabbit-tat. The "T" provides escape options from predators, the tin adds to the cover. Works best with cedar or conifer limbs on the base layer (better covering).

TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
That "T" is a great idea.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Cool thread. I don't understand the "T" idea though. Does it act as an alarm of sorts to the rabbit?

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Chris,
the "T" allows rabbits a place to escape pursuit, turn and go out another direction if needed. 4" pipe is too small for 'yotes and most foxes to get into.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Damn brilliant idea ! Thanks
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Smart way to re-purpose pvc scrap pipe and old tin.   :thumbsup:

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Neat idea.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Yeah, great idea non-typical, thanx for sharing.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Man you guys are creative. I'm glad I started this thread. I think I'll go with the logs parallel on ground and then adding brush on top. I have no shortage of either. Also, the cutting of trails and using that brush. It is thick cover and trails would help me get through it and likely the rabbits would graze there as well.

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I've built several somewhat as described in the posts. I have a forest mgmt plan and they are part of the requirements. Search online under the NRCS for specs and design plans that are downloadable.

JL   :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Around my area some guys like to use the black plastic corrugated pipes (like what's used for drainage, tiling, etc).  I don't have any experience hunting rabbits, but just wanted to add that to your discussion as a possible idea.

I've greatly enjoyed this thread.  Makes me wonder if I'd enjoy hunting and eating rabbits!
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Iron man, could you pm a link? I searched and found nothing about ''rabitat''. Thanks, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I use two pallets sticking one on top of the other which keeps the rabbits off the ground.  then I cover the pallets with brush and pine trees.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
I've been building "Brush Fences" for years mainly because they work so well as small game habitat. Just realize as the years go by they settle and rot, so they need to be revitalized periodically. The best thing I've found is discarded Christmas trees.
We sell them, so each year there's always some left over to place out. Other vendors will be in the same boat. The week before Christmas drop around to a few lots to see when they'll be closing up and offer to take away the unsold product. That's the best way to get a bunch in one place, but the post Christmas roadside pickup will work too.
I always start with some heavier pieces at the bottom and build up. I stretch mine out "fence style" as opposed to one clump. Also maybe find 2 clumps of alders/spruce/whatever and "join" them with a brush fence. Doesn't take too long to get to being very natural looking.
I never jump on my piles, just work the edges, kicking at them a bit.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
not much new info that hasnt already been shared but someone asked for the link

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/Wildlife_Brushpile_Jobsheet.pdf

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Headed to the farm yesterday with chainsaw, some discarded christmas trees from the neighborhood, and a small but energetic work crew to build a little rabitat.

We got 4 really good piles constructed and have material for about 9 more.  Being immediately adjacent to an L-shaped Ladino clover plot and near a 15 acre CRP field we should see some results in a couple years.  There's already a few rabbits around so we are just improving what they already have.  

The girls had a great time and were proud of their conservation effort.  Needless to say, I had a blast.

Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©