3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Advice to a Newbie  (Read 951 times)

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Advice to a Newbie
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
I had a fella newly arrived to the sport write to me and ask about hunting with a self bow. He was all excitement until he got on a bulletin board and had everyone caution him about his responsibilities to the animals and how he needed to acquaint himself with his weapon thoroughly before going afield. He was deflated thinking of maybe having to spend a year or two in practice before hunting game. Here is my response to him. Provided here for your debate.

"BS, Fred. Don't let the ethics police stand in the way of your excitement. There's no joy found standing in front of MacKenzies for a year, making yourself a wreck of anticipation and doubt, measuring groups and wondering if they are good enough, so that you can't make a shot when the time comes.

"Practice, yes, but get some sharp broadheads and go hunting. Do it as soon as you can legally. Get some bleeder blunts and go small game hunting. Do it as soon as you can. Let the arrows fly on the small game. Rabbits and squirrels are easier to hit than deer, moose and elk. When you are hunting something larger, just wait until you get close enough so you know you can't miss. Work to get that close.

"Your first moment of truth may require an animal with a death wish, one that wants to impale itself on a nocked arrow, but such animals exist (perhaps not for long, but they do exist). As you grow in confidence, extend your range. Exercise discipline, not abstinence. That's the bedrock of this sport."
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Advice to a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Good advice, Dean. I am of the mind that yes, he does need to acquaint himself thoroughly with his weapon. Targets are necessary, but going afield with blunts for stumps, hanging water jugs and the like are more fun and realistic practice, and will allow your friend to realistically assess his abilities and limitations.

This way, when he does find himself in the vicinity of an edible critter, he will be able to judge for himself the odds between success or a lost arrow. Small critters are more of a total win or total miss proposition, and are a wise point of entry into the "killing fields".

Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Cheers!  I can only echo this sentiment.  The joy is the hunt, not "sticking" one.  Just wait until the moment is right to let your arrow fly.

Offline Chris R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Amen brother Dean.

A few years back, I was recovering from shoulder stabilization surgury.  I could barely lift my right arm above my head.  I had my surgry on Sept. 8 (2001) and by the end of October, I was going buggy sitting on the couch.  I HAD to get in to the woods.  With selfbow in hand, I told myself that I would only take a shot 10 yards or less since I had not been able to shoot more than a hand full of arrows since my surgury.

I was sitting there and saw a doe feeding in a soy bean field with a pretty stout 10 pt. watching her every move.  I was thankful for the experience and when she went back in the thicket and the buck followed, I figured I should make myself scarce since the wind was blowing right at them.  Just as I was getting ready to sneak out, she re-appeared and was walking right toward me!!  I let her pass and the buck, right behind her met my broadhead at less than 5 yards.
DAN!(Defeat Autism Now!)

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
As a newbie myself, (though not the one that contacted you), I appreciate the advise.  I'll be starting my hunter ed course in a couple weeks, and will go through the bowhunter ed course a week after that.  This combined with the fact that I've been practicing for the last couple years with bows that I've made will hopefully give me some luck this fall.

Thanks!
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline JoeK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
"just wait until you get close enough so you know you can't miss. Work to get that close."

Its that simple(or hard). If everyone did that, the world would be a more ethical place. Where's the debate?
"It was a shot to delight the gods...I yelled like a savage--I couldn't help ; it stirred me to the core."    Maurice Thompson

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
I concur!!

Scott,,,  :readit:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Sometimes I can group super tight at the butt, sometimes not..but almost everytime I shoot at deer; it is in the goodies!
There is a range that ANYBODY can put an arrow in the chest of a whitetail.
If in doubt, wait till it or you gets closer.
 :)
I say get out and your instinct will take over.
 ;)
BD

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Many's the child that's stood before a target piling arrows deep and tight in the very center only to fall apart in the presence of game.

Nothing prepares you for shooting at game as does shooting at game.... any game!

The will to win... will win.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
As always, great advice Dean.  I also believe that Wallcrawler hit it on the head when he said that "The joy is the hunt, not 'sticking' one."  My wife jokes that I VERY seldom bring home a deer, but my response is always the same, "I am the most successful hunter that I know."  Like most hunters I assume, I have had more times afield without seeing a single deer than times that I got a shot.  Every minute I spend hunting is a successful minute in my life.  To me, it is all about the chase and the way it makes me feel.

"Fred"  If you are reading this post, good luck and quit reading...get in the woods!

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
you got that right Charlie... uh huh uh huh!  :readit:    :bigsmyl:

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Here...here, Dean of the yellow bow wood.  Yer' startin' to get feisty in your older age 8^).  And....I'll second the amen to that.

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks for posting that,although I'm not a newbie I needed to hear that.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
It is passion and excitement that connect us to our arrows. Self doubt and over cautiousness finds expression in our arrows too.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
You gotta start somewhere. The things that draw us all to this "sport" are the same with or without experience or skill. Its just that when we become experienced, we have learned how to enjoy it more.

Offline rt2bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Great advice, Dean all newbies shoot all bow hunters  need to spend as much time in the woods as they can.
I would rather be a good hunter an a fair shot.Than be a fair hunter an a great shot.Main thing to remember is its your hunt that your on. Have fun

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
One paragraph in an outdoor magazine inspired me to jump into traditional archery with two feet. Went something like this:

If you are ready to understand and be content with range limitations. If you enjoy getting close to game. If you want to put the "hunt" back in hunting, than traditional gear is for you. So, if you can keep all your arrows in a pie plate at five yards... Go hunting! Just keep your shots at five yards or under.

Practice and your skill level and effective range will grow in time. But for now... Get out there and hunt!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Dean, I applaud your posting...   :knothead:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Anbody ever notice that when they did shoot wheely bows, that after the shot you were thinking: " Man, I coulda' made that shot easy with my stickbow!"  ;)   :)
BD

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
i have been hunting since i was 15 now 55 and i am still learning   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement