3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shafer & Tall Tines  (Read 440 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Shafer & Tall Tines
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
How do the two compare?  I had a Silvertip and I hate that I sold it!  Smoothest bow I have ever owned!  Does the TT match up?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shafer & Tall Tines
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Not sure on the silver tip, but I have never seen a bad review on the talltines, I have a plain Jane tines and love it.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Doug, are you thinking of buying Mike's?
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I've owned both...I preferred the Schafer, but the TT shot well also. The TT grip is a little different, feels good after you shoot it some, but takes a little time to grow on you.
   I haven't handled any of the newer TT's but pics of the newer ones look nice.  Schafer's are a little more polished... IMO..... workmanship on the Schafer's takes a back seat to none...!

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
The Silvertip gets my vote!!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
owned two, great bows but I sold them,just did not fit me well. I have 3 silvertips and one on order if that tells you anything.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I too have had ( and still have one ) both in longbow form. I loved them both but they are different beasts with different stengths and weaknesses. As long as you know what you are after you can't go wrong with either.
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Rusty, not sure of what I plan to do.   Right now I'm in the research phase of this process.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I sold my Schafer... Probably the prettiest bow I've ever owned. Smooth drawing, quiet, accurate and slow. Just couldn't use it consistently with heavy arrows at 30+ yards. Don't know about a TT.... Sticking with my Black Widow, Palmer, Vintage Works, Border and ACS
bryce olson

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
As said above, they are different, and unfortunately that means different for each individual as well.
I own/ have owned both. I am partial to the Silvertip because the Windauers are friends.I've also been shooting them since Paul was making them in the late 80's. I love big risered bows.
I've taken bison,deer,elk,a boar, black bears,caribou, to pheasant and grouse with a Tip.

But I also love the Tall Tines and although I don't know him personally, I hear Brian is a great guy. I've only had the chance to deer hunt with it, but it will surely take plenty of game in my future.
So you can do what I did,
get both. Which to get first? Good luck buddy! Tough decision, two of the best bows made!
David M. Conroy

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
My search for the ultimate take down longbow took me a few years, but I ended up with a custom crafted Tall Tines.  I wouldn't trade this bow for nothing.  Accurate, excellent speed, dead in the hand upon release and quiet.  Not to mention, I had some pretty gkod demands on what I was wanting, and he not lnly met my demands, Brian exceeded them.  Plus it is the best looking piece of Macassar Ebony I ever saw.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Can't help you with the tips, but I purchased a used "plain jane" TT recurve....I might buy other bows in the future, but they will fancier TT!!! Bow fits ME perfectly, dead in the hand, fast enough to mask some of my yardage estimation errors, quiet, repeatable grip, and beautiful. Cant ask for much more. Good luck on your search with whichever you choose, if possibly try out both and see which one fits YOU better   :archer:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
My search for the ultimate take down longbow took me a few years, but I ended up with a custom crafted Tall Tines.  I wouldn't trade this bow for nothing.  Accurate, excellent speed, dead in the hand upon release and quiet.  Not to mention, I had some pretty good demands on what I was wanting, and he not only met my demands, Brian exceeded them.  Plus it is the best looking piece of Macassar Ebony I ever saw.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
I have had and like both. If you can shoot both and decide which grip is for you, to me the performance is the same. IMO Brian's finish is a little better.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't like these TT vs ST threads.  Both are tremendous bows built by fine craftsmen who you can trust and are better hunters than most of us could dream to be.  I have had many a Sivertip, but found the TallTines to be better for me in grip and speed.  Get your hands on both and decide for yourself, that is the only thing constructive thing that can possibly come out of this thread.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
I have heard that they are simular I own a silvertip an see no reason to buy any other bow as far as recurves go.there are many other recurves out there that are great an I have owned alot of them.but the silvertip is  simply perfect in all aspects.

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
I don't like these TT vs ST threads.  Both are tremendous bows built by fine craftsmen who you can trust and are better hunters than most of us could dream to be.  I have had many a Sivertip, but found the TallTines to be better for me in grip and speed.  Get your hands on both and decide for yourself, that is the only thing constructive thing that can possibly come out of this thread.
Well said Steve...

Since the early eighties I have owned, and still own multiple "Tips." A couple of years ago I started adding a few "Tines" to the stable. As do other bowyer's, both Dave and Brian make an outstanding, high quality bow. Both bows, though similar in design, are uniquely different with their own inherent features, which not only makes them a pleasure to shoot, but which also makes them an awesome hunting tool.

There have been many discussions with folks trying to compare a Tall Tines to a Silvertip. . .  that’s a complement to both bowyers’. Having worked with both Dave and Brian, both are extremely knowledgeable of their craft, produce a top-quality product and they will go the extra mile to accommodate their customers.

Get your hands on as many different bows as you can and decide which one will “fit” YOU.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I also agree with Steve and Don,

I'll share my experience with both.

I got caught up collecting and hunting with vintage Bear recurves for several years and at the beginning of the summer I didn't even own a modern recurve.

In the past I shot many of the top name bows, Bighorn, Black Widow, Brackenbury, Robertsons, Predator, etc. (all great bows)

I had always wanted to try a Schafer Silvertip so I found one, bought it, shot it and instantly fell in love with the bow.  It could have easily been the last recurve I ever owned, but I read some of these threads comparing Tall Tines to Schafers and just had to try a Tall Tines out as well.  I found a Tall Tines in the classifieds that was "almost" what I wanted as far as specs go.  I agreed to buy it and the next day another Tall Tines appeared in the classifieds with the exact specs I wanted.  You guessed it, I bought it also.  

So now I'm sitting here with 1 Silvertip and 2 Tall Tines with very similar specs and I love all three.  All three are beautiful works of art, all three are solid hunting bows, All three are different as night and day.

Lol, I fully intended to sell 2 of these bows and keep my favorite but I'm not selling any of them.  In fact, I want more of both.

If you've narrowed your bow purchase down to these two bows, you can't go wrong in my opinion.

My hat is off to both Schafers and Tall Tines.  Awesome bows!!!!

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
I have both and I love both,but like I love most of my customs.
Most bowyers are very talented and I don't see any Holy Grail bow but lot of excellent  hunting tool. As far as hunting weapons I can't find a so big difference of performances at real hunting distances and I can personally switch from one to another in just few arrows. Maybe because I can shoot 6 different bows and hundreds of arrows a day sometimes.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
Steve & Felix can speak for me. The only thing I've ever learned from a 'bow v bow' thread is that your best bow isn't found in an opinion. At the upper level of custom bows, they are ALL outstanding weapons built by highly skilled craftsmen.

You might not like either of the 2 named bows in your hands, but handling and using them is the only way to know. Finally: Some of these upper-tier customs have qualities that are hard to appreciate until you've owned a number of lesser bows. Felix can attest that the finest wines (and bows) are often something which take much time to create......and appreciate!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©