3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood shaft straighteners ?  (Read 506 times)

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Wood shaft straighteners ?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
Most carbons specify .006 tolerance.  Some are .003 and the real expensive ones are .001.  I don't find it difficult to get wood to .006.  On the other hand, wood is often bent in the field from shooting, incorrectly pulling it from targets, etc.  The nice thing about wood is it will fly straight even when the shaft isn't, provided, of course, the nocks and points are on straight.  

Also, wood has a tendency to shoot itself straight.  If it's not bent too badly, just a bow in the shaft, for example, it will often straighten out through shooting.  Doesn't always work, but does quite often.  I think the flexing the arrow goes through tends to equalize the forces within the wood, thus straightening it out.  :thumbsup:

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I have two....a knot hole on the edge of my work bench that has a nice groove in it and a small utility hook screwed into an antler.  Only ones I'll ever need.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I have whats left of 2 diffrent doz arrows i bought from elite arrows . Ive had the arrows for over 3 years and have never had to straighten any of them although ive broken quiet afew shooting and hunting . Best wood arrows i know of ,
Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I have whats left of 2 diffrent doz arrows i bought from elite arrows . Ive had the arrows for over 3 years and have never had to straighten any of them although ive broken quiet afew shooting and hunting . Best wood arrows i know of ,
Mike

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
That needed to be told twice i guess LOL

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
My buddy uses an aliminum arrow straightner the one with the dial they work great.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Brittman, I think this is what Paul uses at Elite Arrows
 http://graylingoutdoorproducts.com/support_straight.html
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Sight down and use the rounded shaft of a screw driver on the high side of the arrow prior to put together. When in use I hand tweak a bit as they get off just to keep them consistent. It's like poetry in motion with good flight!!!!

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I use a pair of 1" dowels.  One with a hole and a strong screw-eye and the other with two slots.  I can apply pressure or rub along a shaft to take out kinks.  The inside of the heavy screw-eye works like the screwdriver shaft trick without leaving a flat spot on the shaft.  

With Surewood Douglas fir I have yet to find a shaft that couldn't be straightened with the heel of my palm.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Good One Stumpy!
I just might have to copy that....
Thanks  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©