3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If only it were this easy! lol  (Read 265 times)

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
If only it were this easy! lol
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I don't think they're hunting on public land in PA. haha.     It did take about 6 minutes of hunting though.   :D    :biglaugh:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: If only it were this easy! lol
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Where in the heck do you set out in the open and rattle and move and deer run next to you like cattle
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
That's a great video.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
In yo dreams!
Member NCBA

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I think it was filmed at the King ranch in Texas, which is low fence (I think), but I don't think those deer have ever seen a human before? lol

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Wish I had a zoo to hunt.  The fence must be just beyond the brush.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Seriously. Sit on a stool in the middle of a field and shoot a huge buck. Lol
Ohhhhh they MUST HAVE BEEN WEARING A SCENT BLOCK SUIT!!!

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by sam barrett:
I think it was filmed at the King ranch in Texas, which is low fence (I think), but I don't think those deer have ever seen a human before? lol
I hunted the Norias division of the King Ranch back in 1999 for javelina and hogs.The terrain does look quite similar so that could have been filmed there.Deer everywhere but they were not very afraid of people.It is a high security working cattle ranch with strict rules about where you can go and the time of day you do it.We actually primitive camped on the ranch at a camp next to an old cowboy bunkhouse.It has gotten expensive to hunt there now especially for deer.It is definitely low fence as only a 2 or 3 strand barbwire fence separated the various pastures and game can readily jump over or go under the fences.I hunted with two friends and the 3 of us had sole access to a 10,000 acre pasture for 4 days.That section of the ranch also had some nilgai back then which we would have been able to take if we got the opportunity.We did see one but it was a long way off.It was one of the best trips I ever went on.I think they do have a website for hunting.My avatar pic is from that hunt.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Even I know about the King Ranch, and i live in the middle of nowhere!

I remember reading about it in the early 80's as a kid. I recall it being one of the most managed and studied white-tailed deer herds in North America at the time.

I even think it was used as a study site to determine optimal buck to doe ratios for whitetails, which back then was pretty novel study stuff.

I'm guessing it is still wild and unfenced deer, but with little exposure to humans and in an area with optimal mature buck to doe ratios that is what rattling will produce.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
It's a cool video regardless of where it was.  I loved hearing the shot.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daz:
Even I know about the King Ranch, and i live in the middle of nowhere!

I remember reading about it in the early 80's as a kid. I recall it being one of the most managed and studied white-tailed deer herds in North America at the time.

I even think it was used as a study site to determine optimal buck to doe ratios for whitetails, which back then was pretty novel study stuff.

I'm guessing it is still wild and unfenced deer, but with little exposure to humans and in an area with optimal mature buck to doe ratios that is what rattling will produce.
One thing we noticed while there was that if anything the does were wilder than the bucks and even the does were not that wild.We kept hearing and seeing helicopters but not in the area we were hunting.Several years after our hunt I read an article about research and maybe even relocation of some of the deer on the ranch to other places.It dawned on me at that time that just possible that was some sort of study or relocation effort going on at the same time we were there when we saw and kept hearing the helicopters.All of this activity was in different pastures that were adjacent to where we were actually hunting.If any of you have the Feb.-March 2001 article of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine the story of our hunt is in that issue.A friend of mine wrote and relayed his hunt of being taken down by a wounded and very angry javie.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
If I drew on a buck with a doe facing me there would be tails and elbows everywhere.  I take it that's the trail the feed truck takes every evening and the deer were wairing to be fed.

Still - that was a pretty good shot.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Good thing the hunter had a face mask on or he would have spooked em.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Didn't they name a Ford truck after that ranch?    :biglaugh:

They still needed some corn

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
Man, if only it were that easy in PA.
Even with the good snow we recently got, I still spooked deer 100 yards away while still hunting yesterday.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I'm really not trying to pick on the hunter or anything. But, I think we can all relate to how uncommon that would be for just about anywhere else in country while hunting whitetail deer.  They were just out in the open and the guide, with no facemask or gloves was just banging those horns together.  It was still a great shot, but I had to chuckle a little when I saw that video.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
You would never get away with as much movement as that guy rattling was doing around here in WV where I hunt!  Those have to be deer not used to humans. Maybe what I need is some cowboy boots like the shooter is wearing--fake 'em out into thinking you're just another cowboy out checking on things.  :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©