3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tite Platinum - Revisited  (Read 468 times)

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletch Tite Platinum - Revisited
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
I am fletching up some Gold Tip Traditionals.  I have had issues with Platinum in the past.  I prepped the shafts with denatured alcohol or used Dawn dishwashing soap to degrease, rinsed thoroughly and let dry.  Fletching just fell off using either method right in the middle of a hunt.  Been doing this for years with good results until the last time I used Platinum.

Well, I am back again attempting to use Platnum.  I went to the Loc-tite gel in the blue rectangle shaped bottle with great results.

Here is a post from a couple of years ago, where some Trad Gang members had no issues and some had fletching just fall off with aluminum and carbon.

Question is, has your experience with Platinum improved or have you just gotten away from a product you don't trust?

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=096846;p=1

Please let me know.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tite Platinum - Revisited
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
Never had any problems with it on carbon shafts.
Never tried it on aluminum.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
I'm new to building arrows but in the past couple months I've done 14dz aluminum and carbons and haven't had one feather come loose yet with the Platinum and that's all I use.  I just prep with the alcohol like your talking about.  I just use a clean rag and saturate it with the alcohol and briskly rub down the knock end of the shaft.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
I would start with a fresh tube. Once opened, 12 months seems to be max shelf life for me on Platinim. I now use tape and prefer it to glue. Holds well and easy to refletch.
Tom

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
onewhohasfun has the answer

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
I hace used Platinum on some aluminum arrows and the fletching fell off also while hunting in cold weather. Never used it again.
>>>------John------>

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
I have had zero problems with it, gone through several tubes in the last couple of years. I mostly do wraps but have glued a few feathers straight onto the shaft. Not sure why you would use the dawn and the alcohol, the alcohol is sufficient to degrease by it's self. I'm suspecting the dawn soap is leaving some sort of residue. Good luck and shoot straight.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
He's not using both the Dawn detergent AND the denatured alcohol. He stated that he's using one method OR the other, both with unsatisfactory results.

Do yourself a favor, use fletch tape.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Never had a problem with Platinum.  I prep with acetone and scrub vigorously either carbon or aluminum.  Once fletched and dry I put an additional dab on both ends of each feather and sometimes down each side of each feather.  May be overkill but that is the way I have been fletching for 25 years and I almost never have feather issues unless I wear them out or shoot thru something that rips them off.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
No problems with wood or carbon But can't seem to get it to hold on to aluminum   :dunno:

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
About 3 strokes with a paper towel and isopropyl alcohol is all the prep my arrows get. Never a bond issue for me (even when shot through 1/4" plywood on occasion). Shelf life is disappointing as I usually chunk about 1/3 tube.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Acetone, acetone, acetone to wash my friend, let it air dry and pour to it. Never had any problems.

BUT- If your open minded about change, try fletch tape, i bet youl never even think about fletch tite again
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
I have had the same problems with Fletch Tape, feathers come loose. It must be a shelf life issue. Last I fletched I used Gorilla Glue instant adhesive. Haven't had a problem. Not as fast as Fletch Tape but much faster than Fletchtite.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Never a problem for me, but I'm usually putting feathers on over wraps or paint.  On bare carbon, acetone and 0000 steel wool has given good adhesion for me.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I've done two dozen over wraps and haven't  had a problem yet.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I quit using the platinum a couple years ago and went to Duco. No problems with it. I am using it for wood arrows though.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I have been using it for years and never had a problem on aluminum or carbon.  The only prep work I do is to run some #0000 steel wool over the area a few times prior to gluing.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I like Duco on wood, it works great.

As for aluminum, I have had bad luck with any of the old glues we used to use. Platinum I tried and the same result, frikin feathers just fall off.

I prepped exactly like you did. I have tried acetone and 93%+ alcohol both followed by dawn dish washing soap. NO luck.

I finally just went to the Locktight Gel and it works perfectly and dries quicker.

I will not be repeating my mistakes with the old stuff. Don't ask me why it does not work anymore but it is not worth the frustration.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
No problems for me on wraps, GT trad, and CE heritage.  

I have had problems on the Beman black shafts.  Those are hit and miss.  I have had a feather fall off at times on the Beman shafts.  

I prep with acetone only and just let dry.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Never had issues with Platinum. I've used it on carbon and most often on aluminum.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©